Airfix 1/72 Buccaneer

Jabba

Thank you kindly.

I have added the new refueling probe (rather flimsy but better than the kit one). I have also started to add paint. I have started to paint the outer wings but can only do one side per night, so I will show photos of these when they are properly painted pink.

resized_bf450f12-6c25-4b30-8a0b-d8b373e0

resized_3355995d-dad2-4327-aaee-1492378e

resized_6c8cd62a-132b-45d3-b451-9a016379

• Like 5

Looking good. Fresh from the paintshop just like I remember seeing them overhead the week before it was announced they'd be heading to the Gulf.

Got the decals on last night, so much easier than the Airfix RN Phantom that I did recently. I have also looked into the weapons load and I am thinking of doing a later load with 2 LGBs. The ones in the kit are not that brilliant with rather thick appendages, so I have taken some from the Airfix NATO weapons set. I have built the 2 up apart from the Fwd fins as these are etch metal and show them next to the kit ones for comparison. The strange thing is that the kit supplies 2 LGBS, but only decals for one see last photo. A bit of weathering now to do.

resized_ab38417b-960d-424c-a6f2-cc98dfb8

resized_61be53ae-4b79-49c1-b7b1-29a268b0

resized_13c09f98-c040-4a2f-9aa7-94197042

resized_df8ac1e4-b46d-44c2-920e-de36a5da

resized_3659be26-10d0-4ac4-b66a-83a6ab78

resized_ff97f012-6850-435a-a5ec-e68a6b34

• Like 4

Hi Jabba, I'm sure you have photos of this aircraft to work with but I have recently unearthed and digitised my old 35mm films from around that period, here is a shot of the nose art taken the day after they returned to Lossie back in 91, taken in a HAS on 208 Sqn.

2020-06-10_39

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Retired Bob said:

Hi Jabba, I'm sure you have photos of this aircraft to work with but I have recently unearthed and digitised my old 35mm films from around that period, here is a shot of the nose art taken the day after they returned to Lossie back in 91, taken in a HAS on 208 Sqn.

Thanks for that picture, a very good close up. Looking at your picture and the decals, there do seem to be a couple of things missing from our girl. I probably will not add them though.

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, Jabba said:

Thanks for that picture, a very good close up. Looking at your picture and the decals, there do seem to be a couple of things missing from our girl. I probably will not add them though.

Yes, I had noticed that there were a couple of outstanding features missing from the decal sets, I have the 1/48th set and that is missing them as well.  There was some controversy when the aircraft came back from the Gulf, we were told that no photos were to be taken and the aircraft were going to be secured in their shelters until they could be cleaned of the desert camo and their art work.  So you can imagine I had to quickly photo everything that I could, even though taking pictures in a hardened shelter, sometimes with the doors closed is not the best place, so there are some quality issues with flash reflections and poor lighting.  The pirate flags that most aircraft carried were all different, that's not always shown on the decals.  Here is the one from Guinness Girl, with missing teeth, and as mentioned some flash reflection, it shows they were brush painted, with Tamiya acrylics mainly.

2020-06-10_24

There was then a change to the order to remove the paintwork, but not before Laser lips Laura was washed off showing her true colours, shiny 12.

2020-06-10_36

Her ghostly form can just be seen on the nose, this aircraft was one of the first six to fly out and carried the letter P on the tail, this and the other 5  had tail letters P,I,R,A,T,E.

2020-06-10_35

From this side you can see the tail letter P and the bomb tally which is not on the decal sheet.  Just in case you didn't know, the black bombs are for bombs dropped by Tornados and guided by that Bucc, red ones are the bombs dropped and guided by that Bucc.   Because the art work was on the port side this aircraft did not have a sky pirate flag.

I'll stop rambling now, hope this helps, I'm going to wait for the new Airfix RAF Bucc.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Retired Bob said:

Yes, I had noticed that there were a couple of outstanding features missing from the decal sets, I have the 1/48th set and that is missing them as well.  There was some controversy when the aircraft came back from the Gulf, we were told that no photos were to be taken and the aircraft were going to be secured in their shelters until they could be cleaned of the desert camo and their art work.  So you can imagine I had to quickly photo everything that I could, even though taking pictures in a hardened shelter, sometimes with the doors closed is not the best place, so there are some quality issues with flash reflections and poor lighting.  The pirate flags that most aircraft carried were all different, that's not always shown on the decals.  Here is the one from Guinness Girl, with missing teeth, and as mentioned some flash reflection, it shows they were brush painted, with Tamiya acrylics mainly.

There was then a change to the order to remove the paintwork, but not before Laser lips Laura was washed off showing her true colours, shiny 12.

Her ghostly form can just be seen on the nose, this aircraft was one of the first six to fly out and carried the letter P on the tail, this and the other 5  had tail letters P,I,R,A,T,E.

From this side you can see the tail letter P and the bomb tally which is not on the decal sheet.  Just in case you didn't know, the black bombs are for bombs dropped by Tornados and guided by that Bucc, red ones are the bombs dropped and guided by that Bucc.   Because the art work was on the port side this aircraft did not have a sky pirate flag.

I'll stop rambling now, hope this helps, I'm going to wait for the new Airfix RAF Bucc.

Thanks for all the info that you have given. Being a member of the Gulf War S.I.G I do know some details, but it is always better to get thing told first hand. I know what you mean about photographing in hangars as I have done the same when one of our Chinooks came back from Croatia with nose art. Luckily it was still there the next day when I had my camera, but it was removed a few days later. As for the pirate flags being different we also did some thing similar on our Pumas in the Gulf although not intentional. A few days before the ground war started we had to paint the invasion stripes and place the letter codes onto the sliding doors. On the first aircraft the stripes were painted as the regulations told with careful measuring and masking tape. But as this took over 2 Hrs for the paint to be applied the next ones were done with rough measurements and no masking tape, so the lines were not exactly straight. As for the letter codes that would depend on a persons handwriting style and that could be different on each side.

On 20/06/2020 at 13:30, Col. said:

Looking good. Fresh from the paintshop just like I remember seeing them overhead the week before it was announced they'd be heading to the Gulf.

Not so clean now with a bit of weathering applied. The wings were done with a pencil.

resized_da95c102-0b92-477a-b5e3-0c03699d

resized_33d5a50f-7a40-4867-8280-e0f646f6

resized_584e808f-44ef-4acd-8ef9-001203b0

resized_bb54da3c-a547-4603-ae20-3f10272b

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Jabba said:

On the first aircraft the stripes were painted as the regulations told with careful measuring and masking tape. But as this took over 2 Hrs for the paint to be applied the next ones were done with rough measurements and no masking tape, so the lines were not exactly straight. As for the letter codes that would depend on a persons handwriting style and that could be different on each side.

Can you imagine what it was like on the evening before D-Day, you want how many black and white stripes.....where?

I did not get out to the Gulf with the Buccs, I volunteered to go as I was experienced with prepping and loading LGBs.  But they wanted to keep as many of the klingons off the detachment as possible because of the accommodation shortage, plus they were only supposed to spike the LGBs for the Tornados.  Later, as TIALD pods were then fitted to the tonkas and air superiority had become total the Bucc aircrew asked to carry LGBs instead of their Sidewinders.  The groundcrews were not prepared for this, they hadn't even taken the weapon loading APs with them!

7 hours ago, Jabba said:

Sounds like typical RAF management.

Yup, I went out much later with 11 Sqn Tornados on Op Southern Watch.  Still like nailing jelly to the ceiling.

Sprayed the model with a matt varnish last night, and this morning went to inspect the nights endeavors and saw this. In some areas the paint had crinkled as if I had added micro sol/set to a decal. I do not know what I have done different to any other model, but it is just one of those things. So I have sanded off the offending areas, in which some paint just fell off and started to re-paint them. Hopefully this will blend in with the original paint as I do not fancy a total strip and re-paint. I do not think that you can see it that well in the first 2 pictures, but it is there in the close ups. One good thing is that it has not affected the decals.

resized_1518946a-0020-4ab5-8f2d-b1ad9031

resized_74c0bcba-a8f4-46ed-8550-251d950b

resized_d8d97b73-4940-4c9a-8985-f20f6d29

resized_9492010e-834c-436b-8b2f-a1e30054

resized_6b0c5216-95a0-402d-b839-60df9711

resized_ba42b41b-e5d1-4b44-8476-00662f85

resized_8459a247-9df1-4cba-ac31-1c3b4357

• Sad 4

Thank you all for the words and offers that you have written. I have now re-painted the effected areas which seem to be a close match to the original colour, and applied 2 coats of Klear as I would normally do and did in the first place. Tonight I will do some more weathering and hopefully tomorrow I will retry the varnish and see what happens. I do not have any different varnish, this is the stuff that I normally use, just that this time there was some reaction. I did clean the sanded down areas with IPA before I repainted, which I did not do first hand. SWMBO does think that some of my grubby finger marks could have been a cause of the problem.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Jabba said:

SWMBO does think that some of my grubby finger marks could have been a cause of the problem.

That was one heck of a reaction for some grubby finger marks, it looks more of a solvent attack.  Since you do not have any different varnish try applying it as thin a coat as possible and allow to dry well between coats.  Good luck. :fingerscrossed: 

The areas of the model that were affected were resprayed with Matt varnish last night. I have had a look this morning and all appears to be well. I will give a double check this evening when I get home from work.

• Like 1

Thanks, it is certainly a lot batter with the second look.

I have now added the main etch wing fold parts and painted them. I still have to add the smaller etch parts after painting, but I am not sure whether to fit them after the wing or beforehand. The U/C ifs fitted and I drilled out the landing light on the nose U/C so that it can look a little better. Lastly I fitted the engine exhausts, to which I had a bit of fun fitting one when on dry fitting it I thought that it need to go in just that little further. After the cry of "oops" when the part went into the fuselage, with much shaking and movement of the fuselage to get the exhaust in the right place it eventually came out. When fitted with glue it was done a bit more cautiously. Over the weekend I will hopefully apply the decals to the weapons and do some more with the wing fold.

resized_df5a0f18-ce85-489c-a66e-32058ee0

resized_c2208dfe-e803-4cbb-8b39-00fda6c7

resized_b6e638ef-4d9c-4d83-9bba-b7359091

resized_fccaa1b2-e917-4e97-8bf3-998977b5

• Like 4