Scale Aircraft Modelling - Gloster Gladiator feature

Normally I would take a look before deciding to buy, but alas, with the lock down, I currently don't have that luxury.

Could anyone tell me what Sea Gladiator coverage there is in the two part 'Aircraft in Profile' feature in April and May's editions.

Any new profiles being offered that haven't been see before or are different interpretations of previously published ones?

Do the plans cover both interim and production arrester hook arrangements?

That sort of thing.

Cheers

Simon

• 3 weeks later...

I am not very impressed about the Gladiator profiles in the two issues if SAM. Too many incorrect colour schemes, aircraft configurations and captions. Many of the profiles can be traced to profiles done by other artists, who have not done their home work.

Nils

Edited by Vingtor
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Vingtor said:

I am not very impressed about the Gladiator profiles in the two issues if SAM. Too many incorrect colour schemes, aircraft configurations and captions. Many of the profiles can be traced to profiles done by other artists, who have not done their home work.

Nils

I know nothing about the Gladiator but have the new ICM ones here and quite fancy doing one. Can you be more specific about the incorrect colour schemes in the articles please? Some of the examples in the articles looked quite interesting to me and if I'm only going to build 1 I would like to make it a bit different.

Duncan B

From the ones that I have knowledge about:

• Norwegian camouflaged (433) - Wrong camouflage pattern, wrong colours, wrong markings.
  • RAF 263 Sqn (HE-K) - Wrong camouflage pattern, wrong colours. Should be standard shadow compensating TLS, as for KW-T.
  • Swedish F8 (8/49) - Wrong colours. Should be olive green and light bluegrey.
  • Swedish F19 (both) - Wrong colours. Should be olive green and light bluegrey, with silver winter camouflage.

The errors in the captions are too many to mention here.

Nils

• Thanks 1

See 

for the discussion about RAF 263 Sqn (HE-K), which Nils participated in.

Nils, you said "This photo has by many been used as a "proof" of Sky Grey undersides with a high demarcation line on 263 Sqn. Gladiators in Norway. The photo, which has been printed in several magazines and books is however based on a poor copy. My friend has the original negative for this photo, and a copy based on the negative clearly shows the standard four upperside colours "shadow shading" scheme.  My friend is planning a book on RAF operations in Norway in 1940, where the ptoto eventually will be published". 

Was the book published? 

Way back in 2013. You must have a good memory!

Unfortunately the book is not yet published. My friend - Cato Guhnfeldt - has for the last 10 years (or so) worked on a 7 volume series on the two Norwegian fighter squadrons in the RAF (331 & 332 - each volume in the 2-3 kg category). This project is eventually finished, and although he has collected material for another 20 books (!), the next two will probably (hopefully) be air operations of respectively the Norwegian Campaign and the liberation of Norway.

The best book on 263 Sqn in Norway so far is Alex Crawford's "263 Squadron - Gladiators over the Fjords" (MMP Books). The content seems to be accurate, but Cato has so much more material.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/13/2020 at 8:40 AM, Duncan B said:

I know nothing about the Gladiator but have the new ICM ones here and quite fancy doing one. Can you be more specific about the incorrect colour schemes in the articles please? Some of the examples in the articles looked quite interesting to me and if I'm only going to build 1 I would like to make it a bit different.

Duncan B

Duncan,

I have not seen the SAM articles so cannot comment on them. The ICM kit markings suggestions do seem to presume most camouflaged RAF Gladiators had the four colour or shadow shaded upper surfaces, which some other sources suggest was not necessarily true.  The ICM drawings show the change of camouflage colours occurring halfway down the fuselage sides, which I don't see on other references.

The surface detailing on the ICM kits is truly superb - seems a shame to hide with camouflage - how about a nice shiny Royal Norwegian Air Force silver scheme?

• Like 1

I suspect that aircraft in squadron service will generally just have had the two top colours, whereas those in MUs or factory will have received the proper scheme.  However this is perhaps biased by the poor quality of many photos.  For example, there are few of 607 Sq's Gladiators (Mk.Is) and they appear to be in just the two colours, whereas the generally better photos of 615 Sq (Mk.IIs) show all four.  I'm not sure why you don't see the colour demarcation halfway down the fuselage, but this may be because you are using a stricter definition of halfway.  To me it seems to be lower than on the diagrams, at least.

The text of the SAM article appears quite erratic and not in a logical sequence.  As if it has been farmed from a number of different sources, not all recent, by someone not particularly absorbed by the type.  This is sadly an unavoidable feature of regular publications which have a need to fill to deadlines and can't afford to wait until the end of life-long poring over details.  It can lead to the perpetuation of errors and slow take-up of later better research.  But that's only one aspect of the magazine's work.

11 hours ago, John B (Sc) said:

how about a nice shiny Royal Norwegian Air Force silver scheme?

The Royal Norwegian Air Force was founded in 1944. Not many Gladiators flying in Norway at that time.... But you could do a Norwegian Army Air Arm Gladiator.

On 6/7/2020 at 10:34 PM, Vingtor said:

The Royal Norwegian Air Force was founded in 1944. Not many Gladiators flying in Norway at that time.... But you could do a Norwegian Army Air Arm Gladiator.

My apologies, Vingtor, and my thanks.  Ignorance on my part..

Whatever the title of the service, their silver Gladiators looked terrific and I believe caused the invaders some headaches.