1/48 Airfix HS Buccaneer S2B **Finished**

Muzz

Trying to work out if this is an error with the Airfix kit, the access panels on top of the fuselage are not the same on each side, the port one is sort of missing and is sunk in to the surface by about 1mm. The starboard one appears as normal panel with rivet detail.

spacer.png

• Like 1

Interesting point. I checked my build and it's the same. Looks like an error in the original kit. It's not a very often photographed area so can't say for sure. 

Colin 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Muzz said:

Trying to work out if this is an error with the Airfix kit,

I'd say it's an error. Looking at image on top left of p.10, Aeroguide 5 it is clearly not sunken in like Airfix have portrayed there.

Mark.

• Like 1

Thought I'd try putting one of the slipper tanks together. Think I now know why you dont see many 1/48 Airfix kits fitted with them! Like wee puzzles out an xmas cracker! Still needs some tidying up.

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

To be fair you've got a good result already from these parts. It's no exaggeration to say they're a shockingly bad fit.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Col. said:

To be fair you've got a good result already from these parts. It's no exaggeration to say they're a shockingly bad fit.

Quite a complicated shape I suppose for tooling that was manufactured in the 90's.

Got the main components together, had thought about having the wings folded or air brake open, or both but decided to display it in all its glory. 

spacer.png

• Like 6

On 6/1/2020 at 8:28 PM, Muzz said:

Got the main components together, had thought about having the wings folded or air brake open, or both but decided to display it in all its glory. 

While it does take up more space this way the advantage is showing the Bucc shape off. You can always build another one all folded up for comparison ;) 

• Like 2

Absolutely Cliff, everything fixed in place. Definately want to do one folded up at some point but it seems such a shame to break up the lines of the jet, maybe when someone eventually releases a new tool in 1/48!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Long, long overdue an update, sorry folks! Couldn't get a hold of canopy masks and procrastinated over it for too long. Ended up making with tape and cutting out the edges.

spacer.png

I forgot to take photos of the primed finish so its straight on the the colour scheme. I'm using a bit of artistic licence, I'm doing XX885 with the replacement port intake but also have earlier photos of the air frame from a year or so earlier where various panels are finished in DSG including the main canopy, radome and rudder. The nose art is also still present on the starboard side although very faded. I'm looking to do a combination of these details to make the grey scheme a bit more interesting!

Upper surfaces finished in Medium Sea Gray (Hataka).

spacer.png

Lower surfaces also MSG with Camouflage Grey under the wing surfaces.

spacer.png

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Jabba said:

Like the paint work, and you see the difference between the two colours. I did not know how that looked before now.

It's a bit of a strange demarcation line with the bomb bay not being Camo Grey, every decal manufacturer and colour profile I've looked at skips the underside as if there not really sure so just avoid it!

Managed to get there with photos although the underside of the tail planes are never shown or mentioned so wasnt sure about them, ended up doing them Camo grey as well.

Decals done, using about 3 different sheets, still lacking a bit of stencil detail. The Xtradecal History of 12 Sqn sheet is not one of there best, the roundels are well oversized. Also got a matt coat done. Working on the landing gear and NMF on the leading edges next.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 5

Trying to confirm if the large fibreglass panel on the bottom of the rear fuselage (behind the bomb bay) was still present on the grey coloured airframes or if it was painted over?🤔