1/48 Airfix HS Buccaneer S2B **Finished**

Muzz

Thanks for all the comments.

I think I've tamed the beast........ front fuselage joined last night using quick dry Tamyia extra thin.

spacer.png

Followed by main wing sections, then front intake area and rear fuselage this morning.....

spacer.png

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Col. said:

The fuselage looks to be coming together well Muzz :thumbsup:

Cheers, yeh it's going well, you forget how few parts there are! I've started to do a bit of detailing to the main gear bays. I'm need to scratch the S shaped ducting that comes out the front wall of the bays and goes into the roof of the bay, it's pretty poorly recreated by Airfix. I've tried a few things but nothing suitable so far.

• Like 1

This looks like it’s going to turn out very nicely. I’m following closely as I was contemplating joining in the GB as I have the kit with more or less the same extras. So your build is like an instruction manual for me. If I do start it soon, I hope you won’t mind giving a bit more detail on how you got the cockpit in so nicely.

Keep up the good work - I’m counting on you!

• Like 2

On 07/05/2020 at 11:24, Filler said:

This looks like it’s going to turn out very nicely. I’m following closely as I was contemplating joining in the GB as I have the kit with more or less the same extras. So your build is like an instruction manual for me. If I do start it soon, I hope you won’t mind giving a bit more detail on how you got the cockpit in so nicely.

Keep up the good work - I’m counting on you!

Nothing like putting me under pressure!😂

After some rapid progress, things have slowed down slightly with the mundane task of applying Mr Surfacer to the joins, sanding back and then adding some more! Pretty much done now though.

You can see where there is also quite bad flow lines in the surface of the plastic which have also required a bit of Mr Surfacer, the port side being worse than the starboard.

spacer.png

spacer.png

I've had a look at the intake options and as with my last build I've decided to forget about the resin Heratige set, there would be quite a bit of work involved in blending them into the fuselage for not a lot of gain.

• Like 5

We all know this kit's reputation for requiring a lot of work on the fuselage seams but you look to have a smooth join there :) 

• Like 1

Mmmmmm, putting the wings together and noticed I have two sets of the long wing tips and no short ones, anyone able to swap or got a short pair they won’t require?🤔

I was missing some short wing tips from my double kit. It's easy enough to cut down long ones but where are they all going? 

Colin 

4 hours ago, Colin W said:

I was missing some short wing tips from my double kit. It's easy enough to cut down long ones but where are they all going? 

Colin 

I seen you had done that Colin, might go down that route. My kit was a two kit boxing and I think it came with one of each set, I put the short ones on the first build. I swapped sprues containing the bomb bay with someone on here a while back so that I had another bulged bay, think I acquired another long set during this transaction, hence why I have two! 

• Like 1

Been working on the intakes, as I mentioned on a previous post I decided against the resin intakes as it was going to require a lot of resin to be sanded off. 

I sprayed the trunking MRP white and hand painted the engine faces with Citadel silver. Test fitting showed that the bottom of the intakes were going to sit proud so I cut a slot in the side so the bottom could be pushed in a fraction.

spacer.png

Both lower sections of the intakes are part of the lower fuselage half. One of them broke off anyway as I was joining the halfs and i decided this would probably help so cut the other off as well. Joined to the intakes and cleaned up before fitting them.

spacer.png

Along with the trunking I decided to paint the intake lips to save on any awkward masking jobs, primed with gloss black and then sprayed Xtreme metals chrome.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 8

Interesting method for the intake fit. I'll need to remember this when working on my own kits Muzz :) 

• Like 1

That’s very impressive work. I too like the intake cut idea and although I also have a set of resin intakes, you’ve convinced me that they aren’t worth bothering with. And to be honest, I’m sick to death of resin after all three of my attempts to use the stuff have been absolute nightmares.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Long overdue update but not a great deal to show. Being doing a wee bit of work on the fuselage to add some more detail. Drilled out a vent on the starboard intake which is poorly represented out the box. Plan is to use a PE part from the Eduard detail set which is intended for a similar vent on the lower rear fuselage that nobody will see.

spacer.png

Drilled out the small duct on the lower fuselage and sanded to make into oval shape instead of the original squared off look.

spacer.png

Also added the ngine exhaust's which I dont remember being such a bad fit, but they are!

spacer.png

I added some riveting to them before fitting which was a bit of a waste of time as some has been sanded away.

spacer.png

• Like 4

I have also decided not to be lazy and leave the long wing tips, cut them back and sanded to profile the short style wing tips, I've also added a bit of clear sprue to the tip for the nav lights.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 4