1/48 Airfix HS Buccaneer S2B **Finished**

Muzz

My entry in the GB will be airfix's classic, née notorious, 1/48 scale kit. This was a two kit boxing I managed to get a hold of about 10 years ago. I've already build one kit as a 208 Sqn in the green/grey scheme. 

I plan on doing this as a 12 Sqn aircraft in the final Medium Sea Grey/Camo Grey scheme and will probably do it with the wings folded but I'm not certain about that.

I've got a bit of aftermarket to throw at it including the Neomega cockpit, Heratige Aviation intakes, Paragon flaps and Eduard exterior PE set (still to arrive).

Despite having quite a few decal sets I've found myself having to buy another one so that I have a decent set of foxes heads so bought the Xtradecal History of 12 Sqn set. The Kits World set also provides some of the stencil data required for a grey jet.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 9

Nice!!

Any hints on where to find those intakes? Apart from your stash?! :devil:

Which of the books would you recommend to a Bucc newbe?

Thanks, Werner

Edited by exdraken

1 hour ago, exdraken said:

Which of the books would xou recommend to a Bucc newbe?

I have the On Target book Werner and it is a good one.

Need to amass my references to get started so will post a photo and let you see what else is out there :) 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, exdraken said:

Nice!!

Thanks, Werner

The On Target book has more text and covers a lot of the aircrafts history with colour profiles of the aircraft in FAA, South African and RAF service, it also has line drawings etc. The Fox Two book is more of a modelled reference with lots of good walk around photos and photos of the aircraft in RAF service. All the photos in the Fox Two are good quality colour images. So really it depends on what your looking for.

Cant help with the intakes I'm afraid, I did have two pairs but think I sold the other set as I didnt use them on my other build.

• Like 1

This arrived the other day, will help detail the main landing gear bays and wing fold mechanism if I decide to have the wings folded..........

spacer.png

I've also ordered a Master pilot tube and IFR probe.

• Like 2

First job was to clean up the Neomega cockpit parts and remove the casting blocks......

spacer.png

All done..........

spacer.png

• Like 5

13 hours ago, exdraken said:

Nice!!

Thanks, Werner

The intakes were made by Heritage Aviation but they have now ceased trading and I don’t think that anyone else has taken over their range.  You might be lucky enough to find some on Evilbay but I wouldn’t bet on them coming up often.

• Thanks 1

Started painting up the neomega cockpit, whilst waiting on paint drying, tidying up the fuselage parts (some light flash around the joining edges) and preparing the cockpit area for the resin aftermarket cockpit. Requires the removal of the limited sidewall detail and the front coaming.

spacer.png

The part needing removed and the new resin part already given a coat of rubber black.

spacer.png

• Like 5

The Neomega cockpit set certainly makes a huge difference and is worth the surgery to make it fit.

Edited by Col.
  • Like 1

The cockpit is very nice, a little rough round the edges but cleans up nicely. I've been getting on with it making good progress........

spacer.png

Got the cockpit coaming or dash (whatever you call it) in place and the cockpit painted up. I had some left over AirScale Soviet instrument decals left over from another project and decided to use them, for the size of them I didnt see the point in buying NATO ones, just tried to find similar in what I had.

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 6

The correct colour I believe should be Dark Admiralty Grey, for some reason nobody really does it so I used Medium Sea Grey and added a few drops of Dark Sea Grey, the dark wash has darkened it a bit as well. Used Akan paints to brush paint the detail and then given a satin varnish before the wash as I find Akan paints aren't very robust.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Hewy said:

Smashing cockpit muzz, it looks like your fully covered for this build,am,and research wise

Cheers, yeh maybe doing too much research as seeing photos of XW547 is making me think twice about the colour scheme!🤔

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Muzz said:

Cheers, yeh maybe doing too much research as seeing photos of XW547 is making me think twice about the colour scheme!🤔

Your build,  and ,its  gonna be on your shelf,🤔

• Like 1

Fair to say that cockpit's coming along nicely already. Might try adding a few drops of DSG to MSG myself, that looks a pretty decent match for the cockpit colour.

Mark.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Muzz said:

Sounds as if you need at least one more Buccaneer kit ;) 

Got the cockpit fitted into the upper fuselage without issue, fixed the sidewalls to the main tub first, not an exact fit but good enough and the main fuselage side hide any gaps.

Still a little bit to do but bar the seats pretty much done and will allow the joining of the fuselage.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 7

On 5/4/2020 at 4:53 PM, Muzz said:

The correct colour I believe should be Dark Admiralty Grey, for some reason nobody really does it so I used Medium Sea Grey and added a few drops of Dark Sea Grey, the dark wash has darkened it a bit as well. Used Akan paints to brush paint the detail and then given a satin varnish before the wash as I find Akan paints aren't very robust.

Don't Xtracolour do Dark Admiralty Grey?  Whatever that cockpit is beautiful!

Edited by Graham T
  • Like 1

Humbrol 5 is Dark Admiralty Grey.

I used MSG for my cockpit as well though despite it having a slight green tint.

Colin 

• Like 1