Curtiss SBC-4 Matchbox

A long time ago in the fair country behind the iron curtain was country, Poland. A place where I grew up. Plastic modeling hobby was limited to a variety of kits you can buy on the market. One domestic manufacturer has made only 6-7 types of models. They are still made today. The quality of molds was low, decals were even worst.  Hobby paint was something you never heard about. WW2 Greman models were forbidden by the state. A great leader knows witch kit is good for you. 😀 Nevertheless, my father was traveling to a decadent and rotten western Europe. He always brought me a nice souvenir, the Matchbox kit. Compare to all kits available in the country, the Matchbox seems to be from a different planet. I cherish those memories from my childhood, that is why I will build one of my Matchbox kits.

I hope I didn't bore you with this introduction. 

o1bVcA2.jpg?1

Edited by Franz75
  • Like 19

Thanks for the back story behind this one, The story of modelling in the former Eastern Block is a fascinating one. The changes that have taken place over the years are quite incredible.

I'll be following this build with interest.

Tony.

• Like 2

Thanks, guys.
Much has changed since then. Now we have a few world-class kit manufacturies. Arma hobby released the best Hurricane kit in 1/72 scale. 
For me, Matchbox kits will always represent my childhood in the mid 80s. 
SBC will be done in the US Navy scheme, nice bright colors. 

The kit contains instruction in Chinese, but the whole thing is so straightforward that I don't need to translate it. 😀

• Like 1

The bright US Navy scheme works so well with this kit. Looking forward to seeing the finished article. It always looked an odd shape to me with the cockpit so far back. It looks like someone driving a car, sitting in the back seat!

Mike.

• Like 2

I did some interior. I know that spartan look and  minimalist design was standard these days. No control stick, no rudder pedal was too much. Therefore I had to add it.  Also, to make it more realistic I added longerons made by Plastruct inside the fuselage. 
It looks like I had a missing part,  top of the fuselage.  I had to buy the same kit again. 

N2alPhk.jpg

HZaYiQQl.jpg

• Like 8

I built this kit when it first came out, and have fond memories of it. Having just completed the Heller kit, I'll be really interested to see how your build goes.

• Like 1

On 4/25/2020 at 12:58 PM, Franz75 said:

Thanks, guys.
Much has changed since then. Now we have a few world-class kit manufacturies. Arma hobby released the best Hurricane kit in 1/72 scale. 
For me, Matchbox kits will always represent my childhood in the mid 80s. 
SBC will be done in the US Navy scheme, nice bright colors. 

The kit contains instruction in Chinese, but the whole thing is so straightforward that I don't need to translate it. 😀

You can download the instructions in PDF form here: https://www.scalemates.com/products/img/7/0/8/132708-31-instructions.pdf

... a bit late I know.