1/72 Airfix Grumman Hellcat - weekend adventures DONE!

On 5/18/2020 at 10:31 AM, TonyW said:

What a great looking model. I've never built one of these (!) best I do something about that.

Regarding your comment on the World at War series, I've not long ago bought the box set. It cost very little indeed. It can still hold its own against a great many newer documentaries. A first class series.

Agreed - I think the fact that they had so many interviews with people who were actually there marks it out as landmark TV.

Thanks for all the kind words on this one and just trying to get better at skills like airbrushing camo, weathering etc.

First part of weathering started - a Flory Models wash and then some 4B pencil. She's looking a bit tired which is exactly what I was aiming for.

49913320517_b8707a5a86_b.jpgAirfix Hellcat_fuselage_8 by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

All the best,

Dermot

• Like 10

I rather like the scratched, scraped effect, especially when you see through to the primer of a ‘rather dog eared Hellcat’..

Great work Dermot even if you have done it in the wrong three tone (DSG/EDSG/Sky). 🤔

49787903181_57d886b9ea_c.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Thanks everyone.

With some final weathering with pastels, a matt coat and the last bits added, she's done.

This Hellcat has clearly had a hard life and the weathering might not suit all tastes! But I wanted to see what effects I could get with pencil and pastels and am happy how the three colours blended together.

49930149166_5b844027ab_b.jpgAirfix Hellcat_fuselage_10 by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

Still have to replace the gun barrels with some Albion Alloys tubing, hopefully the postman delivers next week.

49930451802_d498efc11f_b.jpgAirfix Hellcat_fuselage_11 by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

I think it cleans up nicely for a kit dating back to 1967.

49930148786_9eda1c0e58_b.jpgAirfix Hellcat_fuselage_14 by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

Thanks for all the comments and to Craig, Glynn and Paul for hosting what was a great nostalgia trip, loving your builds on this one!
Stay safe and take care.

Dermot

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2

Magic stuff Dermot. What a great result. I personally love weathered models 👌

Thanks for joining the GB I hope you enjoyed it.

Edited by Dansk
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, Dansk said:

Dermot I’m curious - how did you do the pastel work? 

Thanks Paul...hope the following explains things...was my first time trying this so a bit hit and miss!

Model was airbrushed using 'soft' masks, Glossed, decaled and glossed again.

49934001752_aeb4e9b42a_b.jpgAirfix Hellcat paint WIP_1 by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

49934001662_4ac4be930f_b.jpgAirfix Hellcat paint WIP_2 by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

49933696161_804611079a_b.jpgAirfix Hellcat paint WIP_3 by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

Any more questions, happy to help!

Cheers,

Dermot

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Excellent work Dermot, i am absolutely amazed at how good you have got the ancient Airfix Hellcat looking.

I really like your weathering, these aircraft took a beating and were exposed to salty air and strong sunlight every day, your explanation of how you did it is great too and very helpful.

Thanks for taking part and for producing such a great model.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Dansk said:

Thanks for the beautiful descriptions Dermot.

I’m gonna Steal attempt to use these techniques on my next build a dirty old corsair 🙏

Fire away Paul....I borrowed it from somebody else!