1/72 Airfix Grumman Hellcat - weekend adventures DONE!

Hi all and what a great idea for a Group Build!

Like so many of us, Airfix and Matchbox kits (and the odd Esci) in the 70s & early 80s were my gateway to the hobby. 

Built with great enthusiasm at the kitchen table, my choice of kits were inspired by the comics I read and the movies I watched. I also remember 'The World At War' TV documentary, I think on Sunday afternoons. It was probably the first time I saw real footage of WW2 and especially film of the war in the air.

So this will be my build, bought on auction a few years back in a moment of mad-nostalgia for those model-building weekend adventures of my youth.

49813132238_ca16e485d3_b.jpg

Looks like everything is in there..

49813981122_b3172c242f_b.jpg

In all it's rivet-glory. I can't wait to get started.

49813980912_5816a21665_b.jpg

Thanks for looking and enjoy your builds.

Dermot

Edited by Dermo245
Fixing photo links
  • Like 13

Hello dermo,good to have you join the gb, the hellcats a great plane, the pacific theatres best  at shooting down japs,  and  surface detail galore on this early bird from the 60s 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, modelling minion said:

remember right this one comes with the option of folded wings doesn't it?

And  it had the biggest wing area of  all ww2 fighters

(History channel this morning ) 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, GREG DESTEC said:

Good one! Loved this one as a boy cos it was it was big and had lots of rockets 😀

.. .and it was moulded in dark blue, which saved on the paint 😃

John 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

So not much to this kit so getting along with it..

Engine is just painted up with some black oil wash. I know the interior colour is wrong (should be Zinc Chromate)...

49821419272_76c5685613_b.jpgAirfix Hellcat_Engine_1 by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

49820567308_477878ab0c_b.jpgAirfix Hellcat_Engine_2 by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

Added belts from tape to the seat and put the fuselage together last night. The fit was mostly ok, just a few areas need fixing. I also decided to sand down the rivets..

49821419107_f442fe190f_b.jpgAirfix Hellcat_fuselage_1 by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

Then the wings! From what I've read, these were the largest of any single-engine WW2 fighter. Airfix included the neat option to have these folded, like this.

49821418817_4916a41b7c_b.jpgAirfix Hellcat_wing_2 by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

But to be honest, the join didn't look very secure and the inner detail is basic/non-existent. So will go with normal wings

49821418922_547293e8ff_b.jpgAirfix Hellcat_wing by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

Much sanding and filling ahead, but looking forward to it!

Cheers,
Dermot

• Like 16

Which colour scheme are you doing @Dermo245?

It’s just that some MkIIs were Gloss Sea Blue like the one in the box art but later MkIIs did not have the rear cockpit windows.  Some early MkIIs did have the window but would have been delivered in TSS and I’m not sure we’re wired for RPs. I don’t think I have seen a combination of GSB and windows but have no doubt someone will prove me wrong.. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Grey Beema said:

Which colour scheme are you doing @Dermo245?

It’s just that some MkIIs were Gloss Sea Blue like the one in the box art but later MkIIs did not have the rear cockpit windows.  Some early MkIIs did have the window but would have been delivered in TSS and I’m not sure we’re wired for RPs. I don’t think I have seen a combination of GSB and windows but have no doubt someone will prove me wrong.. 

Cheers Phil! 👍
Sorry to say but the scheme will US Navy, three-colour of Cdr James Flatley, CAG aboard USS Yorktown, August 1943.

6 hours ago, Dermo245 said:

Cheers Phil! 👍
Sorry to say but the scheme will US Navy, three-colour of Cdr James Flatley, CAG aboard USS Yorktown, August 1943.

Sharp intake of breath - Big frown, Rolls his eyes...  Well it’s still Navy Aviation....

• Haha 3

Morning all,

Fuselage all done, ready for primer after I've sorted out those wing roots.

49832736801_e5c387ff92_b.jpgAirfix Hellcat_fuselage_2 by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

And back from the primer shop - not bad for a kit that dates to 1967!

49832200263_e764941004_b.jpgAirfix Hellcat_fuselage_3 by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

Start of three-tone US Navy paint (sorry @Grey Beema) later today.

Take care, stay home and build models.

Cheers,

Dermot

• Like 8

This Hellcat belongs to a great era of plastic kit. You’ve doing a great job of this and it’s all looking splendid in primer. Well done so far Dermot. 
Cheers.. Dave 

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

So finally some paint on this one.

White already on the underside and my best effort at Medium Blue on the fuselage.....could be a little bluer I think. Masked up and then hit with Navy Blue.

49901995558_a595696263_b.jpgAirfix Hellcat_fuselage_4 by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

49901995478_2e766c1d07_b.jpgAirfix Hellcat_fuselage_5 by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

And masking removed. Not 100% accurate but happy enough!

49902508281_918803c2ba_b.jpgAirfix Hellcat_fuselage_6 by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

Cheers!
Dermot

• Like 11

What a great looking model. I've never built one of these (!) best I do something about that.

Regarding your comment on the World at War series, I've not long ago bought the box set. It cost very little indeed. It can still hold its own against a great many newer documentaries. A first class series.

• Like 3