Tamiya 1/35 Challenger 1

Jasper dog

Whilst fumbling around with a set of takom link and length tracks for the current project I started to peruse the "stash" .. I know foolish before getting a finish line in sight but.

Does anyone do anything for the Tamiya Challenger 1? Apparently Eduard do a photo etch set and someone does a plain 3d printed barrel and cupola for it and that's about it, as far as I can tell. Does anyone know better?

The tamiya rubber band tracks look decidedly iffy for one..

Cheers

Aye up Darryl,

Fruilmodel did a set of white metal tracks for the Challenger 1. R Model also do a white metal set. Would expect to lay out about 30 quid for em.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/R-Model-35120-1-35-Metal-Track-For-British-Challenger-I-MBT-/264300456718

Regards,

Steve 

• Like 1

A couple of pointers for you:

Accurate Armour produce a number of replacement or additional parts including crew figures (Hornet Models from Historex provide better heads) and decals

Friul will give you a set of replacement metal tracks

Eduard produce a number of different photoetch sets

Echelon and Star Decal both produce decal sheets for the Challenger some of which are for Desert Storm era vehicles

• Like 1

I built the Chally about 10 years ago and treated myself to the Eduard photo etch. I usually scratch all my detailing and this was my first experience of aftermarket PE. 

For me it was a huge disappointment. I used less than half of it and really consider it a waste of money. Perhaps I am too picky, but representing round section items such as wiring or tubing with square section PE does not represent an improvement in my eyes, so the only used a few bits like the engine mesh - which I would have made myself usually - but felt I had to use after spending the money!

I find the rubber band tracks perfectly acceptable, especially on vehicles with side skirts.

ikDHad2.jpg

LMTmThZ.jpg

• Like 6

9 hours ago, fatfingers said:

Aye up Darryl,

Fruilmodel did a set of white metal tracks for the Challenger 1. R Model also do a white metal set. Would expect to lay out about 30 quid for em.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/R-Model-35120-1-35-Metal-Track-For-British-Challenger-I-MBT-/264300456718

Regards,

Steve 

Aye up Steve,

Thanks.

I had a quick look through Ebay for Challenger stuff, and didn't spot the tracks, as you say, not cheap. Pretty much twice the cost of the kit in fact!

Cheers

Darryl 

9 hours ago, Richard E said:

A couple of pointers for you:

Accurate Armour produce a number of replacement or additional parts including crew figures (Hornet Models from Historex provide better heads) and decals

Friul will give you a set of replacement metal tracks

Eduard produce a number of different photoetch sets

Echelon and Star Decal both produce decal sheets for the Challenger some of which are for Desert Storm era vehicles

Hi Richard

Thanks for the above info, crew figures are always worth getting, imo, even if my painting of them is iffy.

Haven't actually looked at the AA stuff, will now though, I'll look into the rest too.

Cheers 

Darryl 

7 hours ago, Kiwidave4 said:

I built the Chally about 10 years ago and treated myself to the Eduard photo etch. I usually scratch all my detailing and this was my first experience of aftermarket PE. 

For me it was a huge disappointment. I used less than half of it and really consider it a waste of money. Perhaps I am too picky, but representing round section items such as wiring or tubing with square section PE does not represent an improvement in my eyes, so the only used a few bits like the engine mesh - which I would have made myself usually - but felt I had to use after spending the money!

I find the rubber band tracks perfectly acceptable, especially on vehicles with side skirts.

Hi Dave, I do like your Challenger, really nice work.

Nice to see what can be made of it, for some reason it doesn't seem to be a popular build from what I've seen.

I know what you mean about the tracks, I'll usually quite happily stick with the rubber bands but the supplied ones looked rather ... poor. However, seeing yours I'll go and have another look, thanks.

Perhaps, money spent on reference material might be a better bet..... O-goody, another book to buy, the wife will be pleased! (Internet photos are as good but it's not like having another book to clutter the place up with now is it?).

Cheers

Darryl 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Jasper dog said:

Thanks for the above info, crew figures are always worth getting, imo, even if my painting of them is iffy.

Haven't actually looked at the AA stuff, will now though, I'll look into the rest too.

If you don't want to paint the figures Crossdelta produce a 1/35 scale DPM decal sheet, it's usually available from Luckymodel but is currently out of stock, alternatively build a Challenger operated by Royal Tank Regiment and give your figures plain black coveralls.

5 minutes ago, Jasper dog said:

Perhaps, money spent on reference material might be a better bet..... O-goody, another book to buy, the wife will be pleased! (Internet photos are as good but it's not like having another book to clutter the place up with now is it?).

Kagero have published two books on the Challenger 1 in their Photosniper series which can be brought from the usual on-line retailers: they are both soft back A4 books so add very little extra clutter to the workplace.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Richard E said:

If you don't want to paint the figures Crossdelta produce a 1/35 scale DPM decal sheet, it's usually available from Luckymodel but is currently out of stock, alternatively build a Challenger operated by Royal Tank Regiment and give your figures plain black coveralls.

Kagero have published two books on the Challenger 1 in their Photosniper series which can be brought from the usual on-line retailers: they are both soft back A4 books so add very little extra clutter to the workplace.

Thanks, just ordered the Photosniper one.

Think black overalls might be the way to go.

Cheers

• Like 1