Tamiya frs1 harrier 1/48

Hey all. Started this the other week. But I'll post up some pics of the build. It's almost finished. 

Here's the box, sourced from gumtree for 6 or 7 quid I think it was 

Harrier Harrier Harrier

First time building a tamiya kit. The instructions are different from what airfix etc supply. I quite like them. 

Harrier Harrier

There's a swinging arm assembly inside the engine to move the thrusters. But I'm not imaging that going to work well. 

Speaking of which

Harrier

They're in need of, something... 

Harrier Harrier

Bit of silver for the engine

Harrier Harrier

And a test fit. 

Primer 

Harrier

What can we do with this little hatch? 

Harrier

The pegasus is under there. Better show it off, 

Harrier

But let's make it a little more interesting 

Harrier

A spatter of black

Harrier

Which you can't see in the photos. 

Harrier Harrier

Unfortunately the decals for this are I a pretty bad shape. 

I'm currently having difficulty getting the line on the drop tanks between upper and lower surface colour. 

But that's where I am now on this kit. Got to paint up the landing gears and the cockpit, well at least what can be seen. The pilot figure in this kit takes up a lot of room. 

More tomorrow. When I think I'll start another kit to run along side this. You know as well do. 

🐧

• Like 6

Well I've got to say you're making a better job of yours than I did mine, by the time I had finished filling and sanding down the joins I had no surface detail left, and that wasn't helped by the raised panel lines. If that had been the first Tamiya model I had built I would never have built another.

Looking forward to seeing the finished model.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Telboy3510 said:

Well I've got to say you're making a better job of yours than I did mine, by the time I had finished filling and sanding down the joins I had no surface detail left, and that wasn't helped by the raised panel lines. If that had been the first Tamiya model I had built I would never have built another.

I had read that it wasn't the best kit, my mate even said don't let this ruin your view of tamiya 🤣

I'm not fond of raised panel lines. Or sanding. Hence there are some bits that could be a lot better. But I try to not be so critical. It's supposed to be fun right? 🤔 

• Like 1

Edited by Telboy3510

On 4/24/2020 at 9:56 PM, FPDPenguin said:

What can we do with this little hatch? 

Harrier

Cut down the two raised lines and hinge up both sides along the central bar as was the case with the real machine?

On 4/24/2020 at 9:56 PM, FPDPenguin said:

I'm currently having difficulty getting the line on the drop tanks between upper and lower surface colour. 

I use a school compass. Set the legs to the distance shown in the front view of a scaled plan or approximate of where you think will be correct then draw a line along the flat section of the tank side using the centreline as a reference point. Use that drawn line to set your masking tape and then align it to the front and rear points. Does that make sense?

• Like 1

You’ve got more patience than me. I gave up on it as i simply wasn’t enjoying it. Great box art, crap kit. As mentioned above this is not reflective of the usual Tamiya standards.

You can use those decals. Put them in the Sun and the yellowing will disappear. He says now we’ve got rain for a few days🤔

Edited by speedy
  • Like 1

Hi I'm just starting this model, What/who's colour have you used for the top half on the fusleage exterior. Harrier publications say Dark Sea Grey but ther are so many versions and shades - but yours looks to be the one I'm looking for.

Rgds

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, aerodes said:

Hi I'm just starting this model, What/who's colour have you used for the top half on the fusleage exterior. Harrier publications say Dark Sea Grey but ther are so many versions and shades - but yours looks to be the one I'm looking for.

Rgds

I'd suggest it'll be Extra Dark Sea Grey you need.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, aerodes said:

Rgds

It was revell mouse grey. I tried one of the other greys I had, but it didn't want to work in the airbrush. If I recall I added a tiny drop of black, and blueish grey. 

Edited by FPDPenguin

@FPDPenguin, I might be able to help you with your decal problem. I have that sheet and it looks not be be yellowed. Unfortunately it is missing a couple of warning triangles though.

IMG-0393.jpg

If you think they're of use I can let you have them. The only thing is that I can't say exactly when as I would need to be going to or near the PO for slightly more necessary reasons (unless I can find a stamp floating around the house somewhere).

• Thanks 1

On 06/05/2020 at 12:51, Filler said:

@FPDPenguin, I might be able to help you with your decal problem. I have that sheet and it looks not be be yellowed. Unfortunately it is missing a couple of warning triangles though.

IMG-0393.jpg

If you think they're of use I can let you have them. The only thing is that I can't say exactly when as I would need to be going to or near the PO for slightly more necessary reasons (unless I can find a stamp floating around the house somewhere).

The project isn't going anywhere without them. And we've all the time in the world. I'll glady take them from you at your earliest convenience/when possible.

It's very kind of you.

Thankyou

🐧

On 4/28/2020 at 11:39 AM, FPDPenguin said:

Does anyone think these decals could be rescued? 

2020-04-28_05-37-21

Will the yellowed parts look terrible or will it be OK? 

Anyone have experience using yellowed decals? 

If the only issue is yellowing and decals are not cracking and falling to thousand pieces you can rescue those by sticking face of the decals to the sunny window for a week or two. There is a faster way though: to use that UV device ladies use to speed up nail polish dry. Just stick thebdecal sheet in it face up for couple hours (rarely days) and the yellowing would be gone.

PS: how many people (including me) were bought by the nice subject and beautiful box art of this kit... What is disappointing is that this is the worst Tamiya kit. And once you are done with it you should try some other (newer) kit of theirs (if my memory serves me right it is older than the event that made SHAR famous)

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Doom3r said:

If the only issue is yellowing and decals are not cracking and falling to thousand pieces you can rescue those by sticking face of the decals to the sunny window for a week or two. There is a faster way though: to use that UV device ladies use to speed up nail polish dry. Just stick thebdecal sheet in it face up for couple hours (rarely days) and the yellowing would be gone.

PS: how many people (including me) were bought by the nice subject and beautiful box art of this kit... What is disappointing is that this is the worst Tamiya kit. And once you are done with it you should try some other (newer) kit of theirs (if my memory serves me right it is older than the event that made SHAR famous)

I have actually tried the sunny window decal thing before with an AMT enterprise kit (that still needs finishing) but it still didn't work to well.plus close up some of the decals look like leather, I assume that's the thousand pieces you speak of 🤣

Thousand pieces might be attempted to be fixed via liquid decal film. Sunny window works really slow and some times it might take over a month. Also it is possible that glue gone yellow. For that case you just wash off glue in water and apply using "future" as a glue (I beleive there was a guide on how to do it here on the site) However at this point it makes sence to try get different decals though.

Edited by Doom3r
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

So, between house work and helping look after a newborn baby, I've managed to get little bits done in stages. 

I just started on one side so I wouldn't get lost when I inevitably get called away. 

Here's some progress. 

20200616_215331

The roundel in this pic took ages to soften and conform with the surface. Plenty of humbrol decal fix (only thing available in the box of tricks) and prodding with a cotton bud. But it got us there eventually. 

20200616_215327

The top red no walk(?) decal was also a bit of a pain. 

After dinner and baby duties I managed to get the underside of the same wing started. I looked at the references and the next roundel is under the sidewinder pylon. 

As you can see from the photos above when I received the decals, the pylons were attached. 🤔 🤔 🤔 

A little wiggle and they came off. Either I left them off anticipating this very problem, or I didn't glue them on properly. Most likely the latter 😜

20200616_221511 20200616_221457

So onward with numbers n such. 

20200616_231525

It's probably time for offspring v1.0 to arise, and demand sustenance soon. So I'll let these dry a little and see if I can get another hour later. 

Again, many thanks to @Filler for sending these to me from the spares box. 

🐧 

• Like 2

Finally got the rest of the decals on. The roundel on the intake is damaged slightly. But they were both a pain to get to soften and conform. 

What's the best way to remove excess humbrol decal fix? Soapy water? 

20200619_170441

20200619_170522

20200619_170601

20200619_170730

20200619_170751

• Like 3