Jump to content

Recommended Posts

A recent completion is Sava-M Models' 1/72nd scale Gulfstream 500 "J-Star" which is used by the USAF as a surveillance platform.

 

Quite a nice kit, built straight from the box. Xtracolor enamels used throughout.

 

c3HVwcI.jpg

 

4zwea9Z.jpg

 

vXaMZU2.jpg

 

BV6tuG3.jpg

 

uNn1zyw.jpg

 

kjlwBY2.jpg

 

TVeY9Nh.jpg

 

Regards,

Rob

  • Like 30
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not familiar with Sava-M Models. Injection molded?  Your model is quite nice. Overall finish is very well done. Wouldn't it be awesome to see 1/48 G550 and G650 kits, injection molded, please.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, SAT69 said:

I'm not familiar with Sava-M Models. Injection molded?  Your model is quite nice. Overall finish is very well done. Wouldn't it be awesome to see 1/48 G550 and G650 kits, injection molded, please.

You might need a large display cabinet: some of the smaller Boeing 737 and Airbus models are only slightly larger than the Gulfstream business jets.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

That's really nice!  Did you have any problems with the parts fit?  I think you did a great job especially with the windscreen.  Does the kit provide masks for the clear parts?  The clear parts are often the great weakness of A-Model / Sova-M kits.

 

SAT69: Sova-M kits are basically A-Model products that have been slightly reworked.  I'm working up the nerve to start the A-Model Jetstream 32 or Falcon 50.  

 

We're still using the old E-8 JSTARS, all of which are converted airline 707s.  I understand that L3 Aerospace has repeatedly mooted the idea of cross-decking various missions to a smaller platform, like the G550, but I'm not sure whether there is $$ to do that yet.  Alex T.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the information about the Sova-M kits. Much appreciated!

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, SAT69 said:

I'm not familiar with Sava-M Models. Injection molded?  Your model is quite nice. Overall finish is very well done. Wouldn't it be awesome to see 1/48 G550 and G650 kits, injection molded, please.

As explained above, these are basically A-Model kits. They are injection moulded but typically limited run. The fit and build wasn’t too bad. 

19 hours ago, TheyJammedKenny! said:

That's really nice!  Did you have any problems with the parts fit?  I think you did a great job especially with the windscreen.  Does the kit provide masks for the clear parts?  The clear parts are often the great weakness of A-Model / Sova-M kits.

The biggest challenge was the fact the fuselage was moulded in four separate parts rather than the traditional two halves. It took a lot of care to get everything aligned properly, but other than that it went together ok. 
 

The windscreen took a bit of blending and careful sanding. There were masks provided which was very helpful. The windscreen is fairly large but helpfully a good cockpit interior is provided. 
 

These aren’t your typical Tamiya standard kits but shouldn’t pose any major problems to a modeller with a few under his / her belt. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 months later...
On 4/25/2020 at 7:08 PM, Rob Probert said:

these are basically A-Model kits. They are injection moulded but typically limited run. The fit and build wasn’t too bad.

An A-Model derivitive where the fit and build weren't too bad?  Now there's something you don't hear or read very often.  Very nice model indeed.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...