1/72nd Gulfstream 500 "J-Star"

A recent completion is Sava-M Models' 1/72nd scale Gulfstream 500 "J-Star" which is used by the USAF as a surveillance platform.

Quite a nice kit, built straight from the box. Xtracolor enamels used throughout.

c3HVwcI.jpg

4zwea9Z.jpg

vXaMZU2.jpg

BV6tuG3.jpg

uNn1zyw.jpg

kjlwBY2.jpg

TVeY9Nh.jpg

Regards,

Rob

• Like 31
  • Thanks 1

I'm not familiar with Sava-M Models. Injection molded?  Your model is quite nice. Overall finish is very well done. Wouldn't it be awesome to see 1/48 G550 and G650 kits, injection molded, please.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, SAT69 said:

I'm not familiar with Sava-M Models. Injection molded?  Your model is quite nice. Overall finish is very well done. Wouldn't it be awesome to see 1/48 G550 and G650 kits, injection molded, please.

You might need a large display cabinet: some of the smaller Boeing 737 and Airbus models are only slightly larger than the Gulfstream business jets.

• Thanks 1

That's really nice!  Did you have any problems with the parts fit?  I think you did a great job especially with the windscreen.  Does the kit provide masks for the clear parts?  The clear parts are often the great weakness of A-Model / Sova-M kits.

SAT69: Sova-M kits are basically A-Model products that have been slightly reworked.  I'm working up the nerve to start the A-Model Jetstream 32 or Falcon 50.  

We're still using the old E-8 JSTARS, all of which are converted airline 707s.  I understand that L3 Aerospace has repeatedly mooted the idea of cross-decking various missions to a smaller platform, like the G550, but I'm not sure whether there is $$ to do that yet.  Alex T.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, SAT69 said:

As explained above, these are basically A-Model kits. They are injection moulded but typically limited run. The fit and build wasn’t too bad. 

19 hours ago, TheyJammedKenny! said:

That's really nice!  Did you have any problems with the parts fit?  I think you did a great job especially with the windscreen.  Does the kit provide masks for the clear parts?  The clear parts are often the great weakness of A-Model / Sova-M kits.

The biggest challenge was the fact the fuselage was moulded in four separate parts rather than the traditional two halves. It took a lot of care to get everything aligned properly, but other than that it went together ok. 

The windscreen took a bit of blending and careful sanding. There were masks provided which was very helpful. The windscreen is fairly large but helpfully a good cockpit interior is provided. 

These aren’t your typical Tamiya standard kits but shouldn’t pose any major problems to a modeller with a few under his / her belt. 

• 4 months later...
On 4/25/2020 at 7:08 PM, Rob Probert said:

these are basically A-Model kits. They are injection moulded but typically limited run. The fit and build wasn’t too bad.

An A-Model derivitive where the fit and build weren't too bad?  Now there's something you don't hear or read very often.  Very nice model indeed.