Henschel HS129 B-2/Rlll by Zoukei-mura

Saw this kit and I just couldn't resist, bit expensive and it's going to be a challenge. But, thanks to this ******* virus, I'm not going anywhere.

So here are my first photos of my first 2 hours work.

So far the parts fit has been excellent, and the detail is amazing. See pistons below, and I have noticed that it is a soft plastic compared to Tamiya etc.

Enjoy.

Jon

One engine sprue, below.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Before you ask, yes those are pistons in the cylinders, they've even got piston rings. Which of course will disappear.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

The stand here, was included within the sprue. And there are splines on the propeller shaft.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by Faraway
People can’t see the phots
  • Like 11

40 minutes ago, Gorby said:

The photos aren't loading for me.

38 minutes ago, neil5208 said:

me nether

Sorry about that, not sure what I can do.

1 hour ago, fubar57 said:

Loading for me. A lovely looking engine but a tad over engineered

Just a little, weird thing to do. I’d rather they had included weighted wheels. But what the heck. I just hope I can do the kit justice.

Well, that's engine number one complete. Start number two tomorrow, pity to think that most of this detail will disappear under the cowling.

The unpainted bits are so it will stick to the nacelle.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 6

Both engines now finished, onto the cockpit next. I am surprised, that given the detail in the engines, I see there are no seat belts in the cockpit.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Below is an example of the assembly instructions, each stage has this 'here are all the parts you'll use picture'.

As I said before, I'm surprised there are no seat belts. And I can't find any after market ones either, if any of you have any ideas, please let me know.

Jon

spacer.png

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Hook said:

That... looks intimidating. 😎

As for your seat belts quandary, Eduard makes a generic set that could conceivably fill your needs:

https://www.eduard.com/eduard/photo-etched-parts/photo-etched-set/aircraft/1-48/seatbelts-luftwaffe-wwii-bombers-superfabric-1-48.html

HTH!,

Andre

Andre. Thanks for that, I eventually found some at Hannant’s which are WW2 Luftwaffe seat belts, so they should do. Took a while, as I was searching for the aircraft, but no body does anything for it, to new a kit I guess. The instructions do look complicated, but when you start to follow them and build they are very good.

I have to say, that given the level of detail in the engines, they included pistons, which of course disappeared on assembly. You’d think they could have managed to include seat belts, even decal belts would have been better than none.

Jon

• Like 1

Hopefully you lubed the cylinder bores before closing the engine halves together.. ;)

Does seem a little bizarre though.  Build looks great so far..

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Werdna said:

Hopefully you lubed the cylinder bores before closing the engine halves together.. ;)

Does seem a little bizarre though.  Build looks great so far..

Certainly did, and checked the tolerance on the rings. 😜

• Like 1

Started the cockpit this morning, seem to spend most of the time on the instrument panel. 

There was a choice, a brown plastic one which once painted the decals were applied as normal. Or a clear plastic one, this is the one I chose simply because I thought it might look better, I think I was right. Once I masked the 7 main instruments, I sprayed the whole thing grey then removed the masking from the 7 instruments and applied the decals to the back, so the dial faces are visible through the panel.

Never done this before and I think the result was quite good.

I have managed to find some seat belts, which were not included in this kit and when I see how they will be fitted, I'll be assembling the parts to finish the cockpit.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 10

Cockpit assembled and then attached to the fuel tank platform and then with the 200L fuel tank fitted.

Just waiting for the seatbelts to arrive and then fit.

Jon

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 8

Nice work...

ZM tend to sell their own extras for their kits (Eduard will make a cockpit set, master gun barrels etc). But Luftwaffe seat belts were much of a muchness, so generic is good.

I recall there are 4-5 instruments on each engine cowl, given the lack of space in the 129's cramped cockpit..

Matt

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Mattlow said:

Nice work...

ZM tend to sell their own extras for their kits (Eduard will make a cockpit set, master gun barrels etc). But Luftwaffe seat belts were much of a muchness, so generic is good.

I recall there are 4-5 instruments on each engine cowl, given the lack of space in the 129's cramped cockpit..

Matt

Matt.

All ZM are doing at the moment for this kit, is undercarriage legs. But the Eduard belts look good, so that’s tomorrows task. There are indeed instruments on the engine cowl, which is understandable, as this aircraft must have the most cramped cockpit of any twin engine aircraft.

Jon

Edited by Faraway

Carl.

Thanks for the update, not sure I can get any of the extras from ZM, in the UK. I’ll settle for the seat belts I’ve just got. I put weighted wheels on a couple of aircraft and to be honest it’s a job to tell. This I a very good kit, expensive, but so far I think worth the money. Would I buy another ZM ? Not sure, yet. There is a huge amount of detail that disappears on assembly.

Jon.

Edited by Faraway
  • Like 1

Jon, I think trying to get anything out of Asia at the moment would be a big challenge. I'm in Canada and it's hard enough getting something from one end of the country to the other. 

I've built one ZM kit so far, have one underway and a bunch more in the stash. I find that as long as you do a bit of dry fitting, they'll go together ok, if a bit fiddly. 

5 hours ago, FG2Si said:

Jon, I think trying to get anything out of Asia at the moment would be a big challenge. I'm in Canada and it's hard enough getting something from one end of the country to the other. 

I've built one ZM kit so far, have one underway and a bunch more in the stash. I find that as long as you do a bit of dry fitting, they'll go together ok, if a bit fiddly. 

I’ve no intention of getting anything from overseas, it’s the same here, the post has slowed down probably due to all the internet shopping. You’re right about the dry fitting, also I’ve found that I have to keep paint away from joint lines.

Jon

Seat belts fitted and all fuselage frames, if I glue all the inspection hatches closed all this will disappear. I am going to have the cockpit canopy open and the ladder extended, so I think I'll attach the hatch covers (some of which have detail on the internal surface) in an open position, still won't be able to see much but at least there will be some internal views.

Jon.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 4

Hatch inner surfaces painted and detailed, air bottles painted, with the amount of internal detail, I think I'll be showing the hatches open.

spacer.png

Hatch covers tacked in place with a spot of PVA, once the fuselage is painted I'll pop them off and reattach them open.

spacer.png

spacer.png

I think I'm going to need a bigger work space. It's a shame to think all these spars will disappear when the wing skin is attached. I haven't looked too far ahead in the instruction manual, but if there are any inspection hatches in the wings, I might leave them open. Next to be fitted, will be the wing fuel tanks.

Jon.

spacer.png

Edited by Faraway
add text
  • Like 2