RNEIAAF P-40N

Tbolt

I'm building the P-40N "Wham Bam!" and I'm not sure whether to apply the medium green patches to the wings and tail.Both the DK Decals sheet and the Special Hobby instructions indicate these Dutch P-40's had them.

I can't find any good photos to show one way or the other and half the models and profiles I've seen shows them and the others don't. Anyone know anymore or have some pictures which show the patches?

1 hour ago, alt-92 said:

Thanks for those. None of those seem to show the medium green, so maybe I won't add it.

Did you check the modelling links at the jonkerweb.net site? They do have some profiles.
It does depend of course as always on the specific timeframe you want your model to depict (I'd be tempted by that half stripped scheme myself) ;)

edit: 

part one of the Dutch Profile book covering 1942-1945 is available here .

Edited by alt-92
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, alt-92 said:

Did you check the modelling links at the jonkerweb.net site? They do have some profiles.
It does depend of course as always on the specific timeframe you want your model to depict (I'd be tempted by that half stripped scheme myself) ;)

edit: 

part one of the Dutch Profile book covering 1942-1945 is available here .

I only had a quick look on my phone, but now I'm on a PC , I can see they mention the medium green was over painted later at a later date and I've found a picture of one of the aircraft in the Dutch Profile book with the medium green on. I'll probably go the over painted route as I was planning on a fair bit if weathering 

• Like 1

I found a PDF file on the history of 120 Sqn with Google, there is a photo in the text of 4 x P-40Ns (Q,H,Y &E) with center line tanks and 2 x 500 Ib bombs under each wing , you can make out the medium green scalloping on the wings of these aircraft 

2 hours ago, Sydhuey said:

I found a PDF file on the history of 120 Sqn with Google, there is a photo in the text of 4 x P-40Ns (Q,H,Y &E) with center line tanks and 2 x 500 Ib bombs under each wing , you can make out the medium green scalloping on the wings of these aircraft 

Thanks. The photo I found from the Dutch Profile book, the aircraft doesn't have a lot of weathering so I guess a fairly early picture. I'm thinking of maybe adding the patches now.