S.50 24 Squadron SAAF

MarkSH

Afternoon all,

My second build for the GB will be an 'in-flight' S.50 using:

49811078506_4d2925e25d_b.jpg

49811078576_2a9b8cca3d_b.jpg

I hope to do the aircraft depicted carrying AS-30 training rounds, purely because I like the aircraft scheme and the black and white stripes on the missiles.

49813746902_27de2072fc_b.jpg

I have some Alley Cat resin bits on order for the aircraft, they also do a set of Nord Aviation AS-30 missiles and pylons but I think that the Martel missiles still supplied in the Airfix kit and the spares I have from an earlier Tornado build will do as a basis for creating the AS-30s with some judicious cutting, sanding and general fettling.

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 9

• 1 month later...

Hello all,

A bit of a delayed start with this GB, but I'm underway with the old Airfix moulding of the S.2B converting to S.Mk.50 using some Alley Cat resin bits to make it slightly more representative:

49977039521_460e07840a_b.jpg

The Bomb bay and Chaff/Flare dispenser fitted very nicely.

49976526298_e7ac81dbc2_b.jpg

The main effort with the old Airfix kit is cleaning up the main assembly after spending what seems like an age trying to get the two halves to align, giving up and reaching for the tube of filler and using some very coarse language and sandpaper, anyway I have also fitted the Alley Cat resin nose, reinstated the fillets between the fuselage and intakes and 'skinned' the pen nib exhausts which weren't even close to aligning.

A little bit of rescribing has been completed but I'm not going overboard with it just enough so I can sand down the raised panel lines a bit. I'll give it a blast of primer to see where further filling and sanding is required and then set about working on the cockpit.

49977304002_cfc03f22f6_b.jpg

I'm also in the process of converting a couple of the kit Martels into the Nord AS30 missiles.

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 4

Evening all,

A little progress with my remaining build for the GB:

50010664132_1817d1d017_b.jpg

The primer coat showed me where tidying up was required and that process has been completed, The large Alley Cat resin SAAF tanks have been glued in place and a couple of other bits and bobs fitted....

50010403991_2f951f20db_b.jpg

For some strange reason Airfix saw fit to include a Dalek appendage in my version of the kit....I believe it is supposed to be the refuelling probe, but I could be wrong, I don't think I could have lived with myself if I'd fitted it to the model.....a nice metal replacement by Master (there's a strange Dr Who theme developing in this thread!) has been ordered as well as a metal Pitot to replace the rather flexible rendition in the kit.

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Morning all,

I finally got around to some work on the SAAF S.50 I have installed the Master replacement Re-fuelling probe and cockpit plus crew, the instrument/control decals work well enough for this build I think. I tried to get a bit off offset to the seats but there just wasn't enough room with the crew installed:

50078718977_80bd699fd0_b.jpg

I added a suggestion of the cabling and gauges on the IP coaming.

50078468121_2bc38437a2_b.jpg

The turned refuelling probe makes such a difference to the look. I have just fitted the canopy and once that sets I can start the masking and final primer coat.

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Afternoon all,

Still plugging away at the S Mk. 50, I have done the major spraying and masking today a couple of minor touch-ups and the detail painting left to complete:

50151735887_60550822f6_b.jpg

I decided to tone down the suggested paint scheme on the Airfix instructions, besides the fact that they are calling out the top grey as EDSG which is in conflict with my other references and many of the photos I have seen.  At the moment it looks a little washed out but I prefer that to the very intense and saturated colour scheme in the kit. Anyway I think a couple of coats of Klear will define the tones a little better.

50151736007_3e3fcd795e_b.jpg

Still hopeful of finishing but SWAMBO and I are having a week away next week so its going to be close.

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, exdraken said:

Wow, very nice work!

I hope we will get an extension this time as well... I am in a similar situation... but mine has not seen the paintbarn yet...

Yeah, an extension would be welcome. I did rather rush the masking and paint process today and was probably lucky I only had one paint 'pull' but happy I got away with it!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MarkSH said:

Yeah, an extension would be welcome. I did rather rush the masking and paint process today and was probably lucky I only had one paint 'pull' but happy I got away with it!

@Enzo Matrix and @Col. are the ones to beg  I guess ;) not sure how generous they could be.. but the Bucc is a rather large plane,, so I could use 2 weeks as well very well, and a Bucc is indeed just a single type.. but so important, it could also qualify as a GB, no ;);)