1/72 Airfix Buccaneer with Neomega resin updates ##FINISHED##

nimrod54

The group builds that I have expressed an interest in seem to be coming thick and fast, thank goodness for the lockdown. :) Anyway this old Airfix kit of the Buccaneer S2B along with a few Neomega resin sets and a Airwaves etch set kindly donated by @Hockeyboy76 will be my entry for the GB. There are no decals in the box, so I will have to source those and there may be a few other extras along the way. Let's see what kind of a job I can make of this old kit, will it be a Silk Purse or a Sows Ear?

49813138586_d8056cb28c_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

49812546018_9065c8bfb1_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

49813088221_a43059d5bc_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

• Like 13

That's quite a selection of goodies you've amassed there John. Is there any particular scheme your looking to get decals for?

• Like 1

Now this is embarrassing, I was sure that I had a set of decals for this, so I checked through my box and found this set of Kits-World decals for trials aircraft.

49813344863_758f32debe_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

49814193432_60b215d996_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

So there are plenty of options to go at there, what makes it doubly embarrassing is that I think that the sheet on the left posted by @Hockeyboy76 above may have been from my kit (Kit No03055) for which he sent me the etch set above. :doh: :lol: I'll put it down to a senior moment.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Hockeyboy76 said:

If your doing any with red, a can recommend a certain colour primer that works very well :whistle:

There may well be some red involved, and purely in the interest of research I might be tempted to try a certain colour of primer. :bleh:

• Haha 1

Hope you don't mind me following along? Just started an Italeri Jaguar with a Neomega cockpit and I'm finding it a bit of a wrestling match. Are there any instructions in your sets, asking as there are none for mine which I found odd?

I think I have the same combination of Buccaneer/Nemoega put away for a future rainy day so am doubly interested in how you find this one.

Edge

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Edge said:

Hope you don't mind me following along? Just started an Italeri Jaguar with a Neomega cockpit and I'm finding it a bit of a wrestling match. Are there any instructions in your sets, asking as there are none for mine which I found odd?

I think I have the same combination of Buccaneer/Nemoega put away for a future rainy day so am doubly interested in how you find this one.

Edge

You are more than welcome to tag along Edge. Two out of the three sets that I have contain instructions but they are very basic, merely being a short series of photographs showing different stages of installation.

2 hours ago, Edge said:

Edge

I hear there's rumours of rain coming in the next couple of weeks ;) 

• Haha 4

4 hours ago, nimrod54 said:

You are more than welcome to tag along Edge. Two out of the three sets that I have contain instructions but they are very basic, merely being a short series of photographs showing different stages of installation.

That's good to hear, pity they're not better quality though.

2 hours ago, Col. said:

I hear there's rumours of rain coming in the next couple of weeks ;) 

Me too. Unfortunately the Buccaneer is buried deep in the stash. I'm not even sure which pile its in!

Edge

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, Edge said:

Me too. Unfortunately the Buccaneer is buried deep in the stash. I'm not even sure which pile its in!

That's no place for a Bucc to be! :o Still a couple weeks to dig it out though ;) 

7 hours ago, Col. said:

That's no place for a Bucc to be! :o Still a couple weeks to dig it out though ;) 

Ah but accessing the loft runs the risk of revealing the size of the stash and that really isn't something to be taken lightly!

Edge

• Haha 4

Hi John,

once more onto the breach! You must be modelling 400 days a year! Super!

The Bucc is a beautiful plane, and as tempting as it may be, I have no time and too many unfinished builds to start one. OK, and I have absolutely no Buccaneer kit at home, ergo no temptation to succumb to. That's the way I like it nowadays!!!!

But I shall look from stage left to your masterpiece in progress!

Have a lot of fun!

JR

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, jean said:

once more onto the breach! You must be modelling 400 days a year! Super!

Hi Jean,

Not quite 400 days of modelling, :D , but the order… err request to stay indoors for 12 weeks as part of the UK's lockdown is certainly helping my modelling output. It will good to have you on board, and I hope that you enjoy the journey.

John

• Haha 1

I'm loving the trials decal sheet John.  Those black and white 'photo reference markers' (they must have a proper name?), are particularly evocative :)

Cheers

• Like 1

8 hours ago, CliffB said:

I'm loving the trials decal sheet John.  Those black and white 'photo reference markers' (they must have a proper name?), are particularly evocative :)

Cheers

I'm sure that there will be some correct terminology Cliff, but 'B&W photo reference markers' will do for me too. :)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I finally made a start by performing a bit of 'Buccaneer Butchery' this afternoon, hacking away the upper nose section, upper and lower intakes and the undercarriage bays. I think that some rescribing of panel lines could be up next and then I can look to fitting some of the resin components.

49916838088_c9ef0dd1c9_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr 

49916838183_fbd9a9bd19_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

Having cleaned them up, here are some of the resin replacement parts that I have to fit, cockpit, upper nose, intakes and undercarriage bays. I still have resin seats, instrument panels, exhausts, forward compressors, rear turbines and undercarriage doors to tidy up and test fit yet.

49917352851_9b0481a604_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

• Like 7

1 hour ago, nimrod54 said:

I still have resin seats, instrument panels, exhausts, forward compressors, rear turbines and undercarriage doors to tidy up and test fit yet.

So it'll be finished and in the gallery by Saturday then?!?!  :whistle: 

Mark.

• Haha 3

44 minutes ago, sanfrandragon said:

Wow, there's some surgery required there!  Looking good though.  The detail on the Neomega parts is outstanding.

Thanks very much. The rear cockpit has some lovely monitor detail.

13 minutes ago, Harry Lime said:

So it'll be finished and in the gallery by Saturday then?!?!  :whistle: 

Mark.

I can say that it will be done by a Saturday, Mark. I just don't know which one. :winkgrin:

• Haha 3

A brave step to cut off so much kit parts but will be worthwhile for the upgrade in quality and quantity of detail :thumbsup:

• Like 1