1/48 NA39 conversion

Colin W

Well we're ready to start the long delayed Buccaneer GB and I'm all prepared. I shall be converting the Airfix S2B into the NA39 XK488 as per Yeovilton. I'll be using a set of Heritage intakes but the rest will be scratch built. 

20200424_172743

Here's the start point. 

This will be my 3rd 1/48 Airfix Buccaneer so as you can see I have a few spare parts already. 

Colin 

• Like 4

Here are some pictures of my previous Bucanneers.

Airfix 1/48 S2 from 2002

Blackburn Bucaneer 1.48 Airfix 031

Blackburn Bucaneer 1.48 Airfix 034

Airfix 1/48 Buccaneer S2 converted to S1 using Heritage Intakes.

PIC_0155

PIC_0154

Colin

• Like 8

The only aftermarket used on the S1 were the intakes and they fitted very well. Mods to tail, wing and exhaust can be done easily.

Note to anyone building the S2, the heat deflectors behind the exhausts are too small and should be enlarged. These are closer to the S1 size.

Colin 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well I'm now full time on this with the Spitfire group build out of the way on time. Spent the day chopping up the front fuselage. Intakes removed, nose extension removed and 6mm removed between the weapons bay and the nose undercarriage on the lower section to match the same amount removed from the upper section behind the intakes. 

No turning back now!

Just hope it goes back together!

20200501_144234

New intakes are the tan colour resin. 

Colin 

• Like 8

Brave work Colin but now you've broken the egg you may as well keep going and bake that cake ;) 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Col. said:

Brave work Colin but now you've broken the egg you may as well keep going and bake that cake ;) 

Aye, ain't no going back now!

Mark.

• Like 1

A bit more chopping up, the bullet fairing is removed from the fin and the small leading edge intake chopped off. Looking at the pictures I think I have to chop off the top as well since it's not so high on the NA39.  Pictures of the fin top are few and far between since 488 spent many years with the top of the fin under the stairs at Yeovilton and when I did manage to get into the Cobham hall I could only get pictures of the nose. 

20200503_163822

Meanwhile the top and bottom fuselage halves are rejoined using plastic strip and sprue. 

20200503_160652

I've cut away the rear of the undercarriage  bays since these are open on the real thing. I've painted the area black to hide any loss of detail as i don't plan to build the engine! 

Colin 

• Like 9

I filled the cavities on the inside of the fin with Milliput and then stuck the 2 halves together with epoxy. Meanwhile I inserted the cockpit and joined the top and bottom fuselages. Quite a bit had to be hacked out of the lower fuselage while the area built up infront of the intake on the S2 was smooth on the NA39. I.ve found a piece of pipe to make the exhausts from so a good day all round.

20200504_165132

Colin

• Like 8

Thanks for the comments. 

Resin intakes added and full length exhaust pipes epoxyed in place. I see Milliput in the next step. 

Good to have the basic structure done. The nose looks like it's going to be more complicated than I thought though. 

20200505_161152

Colin 

• Like 7

Good work getting the basic shape set Colin. Now for a little refining and blending that will get the bulk of your task done :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Some more progress now with added Milliput. My planned Nose modifications proved to be wishful thinking as the actual nose is way bigger than the one on the production version. I have grafted on a spare Tornado nose and even this needed a 6mm spacer. Air brakes lengthened by 4mm and assembled. Exhausts coated in Milliput and started to smooth out.

20200506_220829

I have 2 more Buccaneers in the stash, at least 1 is a navy version but I have no short wing tips. I took some of the long span tips and cut them down. Easier than going the other way! 

20200506_121241

Colin 

• Like 3

A weekend of filling and sanding but ended up with a grey jet. I attached the wings as well so just the modifications to the tail to finish and that can go on as well. 

20200510_212452

Colin 

• Like 6