Chipping with Colourcoats enamel paints

Sparkie

I am about to close up my Sunderland build and start on the outer painting, given its a Sunderland there is quite a bit of chipping  around the waterline

I am using the Colourcoats FAA temperate scheme paints from Sovereign's range which are obviously enamels, so what is the best method to produce the chipping effect as i don't suppose the hairspray and wet brush will get through the top coat, or will it?

So far I have thought of the painting on with scouring pad or brush method or using blobs of masking fluid and removing afterwards

Any help gladly appreciated

Mark

I just blobbed on Copydex as masking fluid (but I used Gunze and Tamiya) along the waterline.  Using various different cocktail sticks, bbq skewers etc to get a rough finish along the waterline.  But then I was doing Mk.1 DA-G which appeared to have great sheets of paint peeled off along the waterline.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sparkie said:

Is Copydex more or less a strong PVA?

I'm guessing it would have the same effect as the Humbrol Maskol ive got in theory

Copydex is a latex glue, not PVA as far as I know.  For some reason it smells rather fishy.  It's what used to be often used at school (or on BBC Blue Peter with the name blocked out) for gluing, however in this case  it is acting as masking fluid.  Advantages over Maskol or artists masking fluids are

1 it is very cheap and for the same price comes in a big bottle

2 in normal life it is available at any WHS etc

3 unlike most masking fluids it doesn't seem to be ammoniacal based so is safe to use with Klear / Future / Pledge / whatever-its-called-this-week

4 on plastic it's not got a very strong adherence so useful for temporary fitting.

Copydex is so cheap you can demarcate the camo with tape or blu-tak and then infill the rest with Copydex, which is very quick and will not pull up paint.  It's also fun pulling it off again in a Mission Impossible style!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2