"MiG Eater" - Italeri 48th scale kit

Ale85

Hi guys, i made my decision: i join this nostalgia gb!

I choose the old Italeri's 48th scale Tornado: i have a lot of memories about this kit: it was my first 48th scale kit (a birthday gift from my parents) when i was about 11/12 years old. I still remember my face when i opened the box for the first time: lot of parts and...wow it was huge! Sadly the first attempt of building it was a complete failure :( The second attempt was better and, using a Airfix decals, i built it as a "Mig eater", brush painted using the legendary 250 humbrol enamel.

Yesterday i was putting order at my stash and i found an old airfix sheet with "mig eater" and a can of Humbrol desert pink. So... why not? 

tornado-italeri.jpg

mig-eater-3.jpg

source: dstorm.eu

Ciao

Ale

p.s. - I'll build my model following the spirit of the gb: oob, without extras (i have some resin bits but i will use the on another Tornado). I robed a Hobbyboss kit for the pylons and the wheels, and now i have an airbrush :D:D:D Can't wait to start!

Edited by Ale85
  • Like 12

Welcome to the GB Ale, glad you decided to join it. 👍

I have built this kit and you’re right, a tonka in 1/48 is HUGE.

Those are such cool markings -, will you do it weathered like the reference shot?

22 minutes ago, Dansk said:

will you do it weathered like the reference shot?

I don't know, but maybe i'll do some weathering experiments with this

ciao

Ale

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Hewy said:

Nice choice ale, a strange colour to get right when i tried to mix my own years ago ,enamels were usually the best chioce for desert pink, but mrp do a good acrillic now 

Yeah i know about the mrp paint, but i have this at home and i will use it. So i can really build my Tonka as i built it when i was a 12 years old child :D 

ciao

Ale 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Ale85 said:

build my Tonka as i built it when i was a 12 years old child

😋 love it ,ale, perfect ,that  bit about the paint was the 52 year old coming out in me  build on freind, 

After the disappointing ending of the "In the Navy" Demon's build, let's start with this "mig Eater". I start woeking from the rear part of the fuselage, gluing the engine zone and the fin. Some putty is needed, tomorrow i will fix those zones. (The front part is fixed without glue)

tornado-2.jpg

cockpit is not the best in town but i tried to have the maximum from it: base coat of medium sea grey, than i painted details with back, matt white and clear green for the screens.

tornado-1.jpg

That's all for now, i promis i'll make better photos for the next steps

Hope you like it!

ciao

Ale

• Like 7

10 minutes ago, Dansk said:

the cockpit looks great Ale, are you planning perhaps a gloss varnish then a wash? could really make it pop!

Yeah! I made a wash with tamiya's dark grey panel line accent. The pic is too bad, but it's in place and i love the effect. Maybe tomorrow i will make better pics with the photo light box

ciao

Ale

6 minutes ago, Ale85 said:

Yeah! I made a wash with tamiya's dark grey panel line accent. The pic is too bad, but it's in place and i love the effect. Maybe tomorrow i will make better pics with the photo light box

ciao

Ale

Sounds good 👌 

Quick update: this kit is very hard; now i know why when i try to assembly it for the first time as a 12 years old guy, i failed! So far it was a speedy build, now comes the hardest part: intakes! After all, i'll take a break to fix all the gaps with putty. Lot of fun this "back to childness", by the way :D I really love the spirit of this GB! 

tornado-italeri.jpg

ciao

Ale

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

Nice!

Yeah, the Tornado is not easy, in 48th, no matter what kit, and what age you are in!

I still do hope it will turn out more satisfactory for you this time :)

One trick I saw/heard mentioned from a Tornado SIG member was to focus on getting the upper seams clean, so any steps or gaps are on the less viewed underside.

Saves a lot of trouble, makes sense.

21 hours ago, John said:

I've never built a 1/48th scale Tornado. Is this an Italeri original or does it owe anything to the ESCI kit?

John 

Hi,

this is an Italeri original mould released at the biginning of the 90's 

ciao

Ale

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
23 hours ago, Dansk said:

How’s the Tonka coming along Ale? 

I had to stop working on it due to lack of time. I have a lot of work to do in those days, but i think this week i could start again to taking care of my "MiG Eater"

ciao

Ale

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/27/2020 at 9:53 PM, Ale85 said:

I had to stop working on it due to lack of time. I have a lot of work to do in those days, but i think this week i could start again to taking care of my "MiG Eater"

ciao

Ale

No stress, it should be fun to do when you get the urge and time

• Like 1