German bombs on French Seafires

Blimpyboy

Hiya all,

In going through some material for an upcoming build, I noticed a picture of a French Seafire XV carrying what looks like a German WW2 bomb.

spacer.png

Does anybody have any information regarding how often French Navy Seafires carried left-over German ammunition? Also, does anybody have any information about what kind of bomb racks might have been used?

Thanks in advance

• Like 1

8 hours ago, leyreynolds said:

I can't comment on bombs but the French used German 20mm cannon on helicopters in Algeria.

I guess there would have been a shed-load of ex-Wehrmacht/Luftwaffe/Kriegsmarine weaponry and ordnance left behind - waste not...

The Marine also used German paint I gather.  I remember John Snyder telling me over the WEM paint stand that the battleship Richelieu was painted postwar with the Kriegsmarine medium and light greys for the hull and superstructure respectively.

I found recently, that in late 1944 few old French DB-7 (!) were converted to use German bombs, and together with captured by France Ju-88 were used in strikes against German isolated groups in Brettany. It was done this way, because they captured a large store of German bombs and found such way of using them ...So likely they used it after WWII fpr the same reason. Anyway - during  WWII French industry was producing for Germans, so very likely also bombs and there must a large pile of them when war ended...

J-W

• Like 1