Revell Yacht America

It's been  a long time since I tried my hand at building  a model of a sailing vessel but I  could resist no longer and succumbed to the siren call of the Revell yacht America. 

I enjoyed this experience so much I'm planning on an other ship at some time in the future. I'd like to think it would be either the Revell 1/96 Cutty Sark or the 1/72 pirate ship but I think more realistically it will be something smaller because of time and space considerations.

America-Yacht-000.jpg

America-Yacht-001.jpg

America-Yacht-002.jpg

America-Yacht-003.jpg

America-Yacht-004.jpg

America-Yacht-005.jpg

America-Yacht-006.jpg

America-Yacht-007.jpg

• Like 37

Thank you all for your kind comments.

dnl42 - the sails on the model are the vacuformed sails that come with the kit. I tried to create cloth sails but all my attempts were unsatisfactory. I carefully trimmed the sails and then put thin strips of  Nexcare gentle paper first aid tape around the edges on both sides. The tape is very thin and helped to keep the plastic sails from splitting when I punched in holes to use in the rigging process. The white of the tape and the vacuformed sails were a close match and the resulting layers looks very much like the seams created when folding and sewing the real thing.

• Like 7

A lovely job on a very elegant craft, the sails are a real stand out, I was sure they were cloth till I read your explanation. I wonder what the sailors of that era would make of today's monstrosities? :unsure:

Steve.

Very clean and precise work, congratulations!
You made a plastic model look like wood, which is the hardest!
The sails are also very good.
I would only advise you - the rhymes that stick out in all directions You can glue them with one drop of glue to the sail.

Congratulations again!

On 4/24/2020 at 12:38 AM, CarlR said:

dnl42 - the sails on the model are the vacuformed sails that come with the kit. I tried to create cloth sails but all my attempts were unsatisfactory. I carefully trimmed the sails and then put thin strips of  Nexcare gentle paper first aid tape around the edges on both sides. The tape is very thin and helped to keep the plastic sails from splitting when I punched in holes to use in the rigging process. The white of the tape and the vacuformed sails were a close match and the resulting layers looks very much like the seams created when folding and sewing the real thing.

Well, that addition of the tape was a master stroke! Bravo! :worthy:

I recall the vacuformed sails as a formed plain sheet.

On 24/04/2020 at 11:24, stevehnz said:

A lovely job on a very elegant craft, the sails are a real stand out, I was sure they were cloth till I read your explanation. I wonder what the sailors of that era would make of today's monstrosities? :unsure:

Steve.

Me too!

• Like 1

thank you all for your supportive comments.

Norseman 3:16... the kit was built out of the box with the exception of additional heavier thread used to support the masts and the bowsprit

On 04/05/2020 at 13:29, CarlR said:

thank you all for your supportive comments.

Norseman 3:16... the kit was built out of the box with the exception of additional heavier thread used to support the masts and the bowsprit

That makes your efforts even more impressive - well done!  I am sure you have inspired many to look for what seems to be (in the right hands) a lovely kit.

Thanks for sharing.

• 3 weeks later...

The reefing lines on the mainsail, Yankee Genoa, and staysail are a really nice touch and one most modelers unfamiliar with sailing vessels would overlook.  I also think you were wise to use the vacformed sails as there is no way you could get the proper shape and draft in them using cloth and the tape idea looks great.  Well done!