21 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

here's MB882

Spitfire%20Mk.%20XII%20MB882-5.jpg

I noticed the other day, after looking at this photo yet again on the front of the Camouflage and Markings pamphlet, that this is one of the few photos you can clearly see the IFF rod aerial under the starboard wing.  Or at least it’s shadow confirming it was fitted to MB885 and maybe all other XIIs?

• Thanks 1

On 7/10/2020 at 10:11 PM, Back in the Saddle said:

Just been catching up with this one - great build👍. I think grey/green camouflage suits the Spitfire best, which is ironic as that’s one of the few schemes I have yet to paint!

Always good to see a clipped wing too - not so aesthetically pleasing but they do look fast!

Thanks Matt,

Go on, go on, go on you know you want a nice grey/green Spit!!!!!

20 hours ago, Johnson said:

Thanks for the clarification Troy. Some good Spitfire education here, but we’re in danger of hijacking Chris’s thread, so better give it back to him!

Thanks Charlie and thanks too @Troy Smith @malpaso & @Graham Boak for your inputs as well.  I was aware of the Airfix shape flaws and that they were worse than the SH ones, but didn't have the patience or spare time to really do it justice this time around (as in my thread intro I'd just copied JKT's Trumpy Vampire mods in my last build and just wanted a lovely relaxing Sunday afternoon pootle around Airfixshire).  I don't consider my thread hi-jacked at all, feel free to fill your boots with trying to fill my little head with lovely facts and tips as this is how we all learn and improve.

Some great shots from all of you which unfortunately for me probably means having another go at this!  Fortunately I do have more in the stash and as I've just re-joined the Airfix Club those red boxes need opening so as I can purloin their Flying Hours to further increase an unbuildable stash even further!!

Anyways the N&W Galleria Matt dried a treat.  Troy, point noted for shiny oil stains for next time and to make then a little more streaky rather than just airbrushed on.

I'm calling her done!

DSC_0306 DSC_0304 DSC_0303 DSC_0301 DSC_0307

Thanking you all kindly for holding my hand and walking/talking me through what was an enjoyable build experience.

I will shortly be switching channels to build most likely another Spit in the BoB GB, see you there!

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Fatcawthorne said:

I will shortly be switching channels to build most likely another Spit in the BoB GB, see you there!

Me too, see you there with my Mk.1A...

4 hours ago, Fatcawthorne said:

Go on, go on, go on you know you want a nice grey/green Spit!!!!!

That’s also in the stash, a Mk.XIV with clipped wings. I had to get one after seeing yours!

Excellent Chris.

I hope my Mk.XII will be in a similar state to yours in the not too distant future, than as Matt said, a Mk 1a in the BoB GB.

Cheers,