Spares box or bin?

Pete in Lincs

Gorby, that sounds like a part of your life that is better off just plain forgotten..... The pencil-stubs are a real "cherry on the cake", though. 

People are, indeed, weird....

Chris. 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, spruecutter96 said:

that sounds like a part of your life that is better off just plain forgotten.

It was a useful experience.

I take housework a bit more seriously now.

• Haha 2

55 minutes ago, Gorby said:

Many years ago I foolishly offered to help clear a house of some old bloke in Newcastle. He lived in is his parents house and when they died, at least thirty previously, he hadn't done any cleaning from that day on. It looked like he had a two tone bath - grey at the top and black bottom half; the light shades looked like they had fur coats on as the dust was about an inch thick and the kitchen sink made me want to vomit – which probably wouldn't have been a bad idea as it would have made the place more fragrant . The oddest thing was that we found four large biscuit tins that were carefully taped shut. When I opened them, they were filled with pencil stubs no longer than an inch or so.

Your lucky the tins only had pencils in them! 

Part of my job is to arrange the funerals of people who die that have no family etc. This often includes searching their property for evidence of funeral plans and wills. On one such search we opened a cupboard in the kitchen that contained nothing but tins of custard... odd we thought. We then opened a drawer in the bedroom that held every type of 'adult' toy you could imagine and suddenly the custard made sense! I've also done property searches that have resulted in a return home for a hot shower and total change of clothing! Many strange and unpleasent things have been found! 

Regards,

Steve

Edited by fatfingers
  • Haha 3

19 minutes ago, fatfingers said:

Your lucky the tins only had pencils in them! 

Part of my job is to arrange the funerals of people who die that have no family etc. This often includes searching their property for evidence of funeral plans and wills. On one such search we opened a cupboard in the kitchen that contained nothing but tins of custard... odd we thought. We then opened a drawer in the bedroom that held every type of 'adult' toy you could imagine and suddenly the custard made sense! I've also done property searches that have resulted in a return home for a hot shower and total change of clothing! Many strange and unpleasent things have been found! 

Regards,

Steve

As a former committer of VAT I’ve had visits to traders’ premises where the only course of action at the end of the visit was to get home sharpish, throw every stitch of clothing that I’d been wearing in the washing machine and me in a hot bath.  On two occasions I had to put in the notes “not to be visited by female officers”; on one the toilet was literally a hole in the floor and the other would have been cleaner had it been a hole in the floor. 🤢🤮.

• Haha 3

Being a Northerner and a firm believer in getting your money’s worth, I have kept as many spare parts as I can from the very start of my modelling making days. I’ve certainly not kept all, but some of the one’s I do have are over 35 years old! I used to be able to tell which bit came from which kit, but my memory isn’t what it was...

Anyhow, I used to keep them all separate in plastic ice cream tubs, until it started getting out of hand and the tubs were getting brittle too. So I had a sort out of the rubbish and an amalgamation of subjects/type. I then bought myself some sturdy crates from IKEA that interlock nicely like Lego and so the madness continues.

I have mostly built aircraft, with armour, sci-fi, cars and then ships in order of preference. Whenever I get bored with a built model and feel it’s time is over I scavenge any useful bits as much as possible and bin the rest.

50044703221_0c216730c2_z.jpgThe spares stash by peely20, on Flickr

Edited by peely20
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Retired Bob said:

I have more Sherman suspension units  and wheels than you could shake a stick at! 

I've used those Sherman suspension units on Sci Fi builds before now!

@peely20 That's an impressive spares stash mountain.

• Like 1

The pics didn't come up but I copied and pasted to a new tab. My droptanks/weapons are about the same as yours, but you win on engines :laugh:

I'm finding that the ice cream and takeaway tubs are starting to crack up. I have a few old desk draws of bits which stack up nicely.

Posting pics from Flick to here seems to be a bit of a mare, I managed to get one pic from the iPad ok, but resorted to booting the Mac for the other two... Grrr!

If you are feeling a little flush then I can heartily recommend the crates from IKEA, they are the Samla range, lots of sizes to choose from and they are designed so that when you stack them the little feet on the bottom nestle neatly into the lid of the one below. They really aren’t that expensive and are built to last.

• Like 1