Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Hi guys,

 

Started this build some time ago, but unfortunately didn't take any photos so far. Nothing exciting till now anyway, built OOB. Perfect fit Tamiya kit (I find this one even better than other Tamiya kits I built so far). I'll go with vinyl tracks as they will be mostly covered by sidescirts anyway.

 

Primed with grey Mr. Surfacer 1500 (I love this stuff, creates perfectly smooth finish) and painted with AK Real Colors. Not sure how accurate they are, but you can see yourself. Painted with 2:1 (thinner:paint) ratio, in three passes.

This was my first time using AK Real Colors (usually using Mr.Color and Hataka), so actually, there was something exciting at this point. First Portland Stone layer went crap, gritty like a sandpaper. So I had to sand everything and repeat. Had to do some practice to figure out how to use this AK Real Color stuff successfully and ended up with really nice smooth and flat finish. I am starting to like them, although they do perform a bit more unpredictable compared to Mr.Color. I used AK High Compatibility thinner, but then switched to Mr Leveling Thinner as it's easier to work with it, at least for me.

 

Masking it was quite fun actually. 

 

20200423_104436

 

It's like unwrapping the gift :)

And here's the result.

 

20200423_130203

 

20200423_130145

 

20200423_130213

 

Will hopefully continue this weekend.

 

Cheers!

Edited by Nenad Ilijic
  • Like 8
Link to post
Share on other sites

similar position to mine, just that you paint job is 100% better than I achieved with AK Interactive Caunter Set (airbrush user not good). Looking forward to seeing you progress and to continue to compare

Edited by robw_uk
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/24/2020 at 8:57 AM, robw_uk said:

similar position to mine, just that you paint job is 100% better than I achieved with AK Interactive Caunter Set (airbrush user not good). Looking forward to seeing you progress and to continue to compare

I was quite lucky with the paintwork, although but only after I failed with the first try :)

I am following your progress as well.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi guys,

 

Some but not much progress over the weekend.

 

Finished the exhaust.

 

20200427_143350

 

And also applied filter to the whole model (General Dust by MIG) and semi gloss top coat (Mr. Surfacer Premium Top Coat).

 

Also, I added decals for PHANTOM option.

 

20200427_170047

 

20200427_170220

 

Not that much progress, but hopfully I will start weathering next weekend.

 

Cheers!

  • Like 8
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Courageous said:

Those exhausts look rather nice. Can I ask, what's your process?

 

Stuart

Ditto and ditto!

 

The Matilda looks great too btw!

 

Thanks

Darryl 

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Courageous said:

Those exhausts look rather nice. Can I ask, what's your process?

 

Stuart

 

Thank you Stuart.

 

I painted the exhaust in Mr.Hobby Burnt Metal. Then, I did some sponge chipping with Model Master Rust color followed by some additional brush chipping with Rust and Black/Brown mix color. At the end, I added AMMO Light Rust pigments covering the whole exhaust, but lightly so everything beneeth can still be visible and AMMO Truck Rust pigments a bit heavier and only to some spots (closer to the smoke pipes where mettal is hottest).

22 hours ago, Jasper dog said:

Ditto and ditto!

 

The Matilda looks great too btw!

 

Thanks

Darryl 

 

21 hours ago, vaoinas said:

Lovely colours on this Matilda.

Don't know, if the tones are right, but they look good to me.

 

12 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

That's looking really good. The rusty exhaust is excellent.

 

John.

Thank you guys.

Cheers.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi guys,

 

Did some more stuff this weekend. Did some pinwash, streaking and light chipping and applied flat coat (Mr.Surfacer Premium Top Coat).

Finished tracks, tools, tow cables, etc.

 

20200503_151817

 

20200503_152356

 

20200503_151920

 

20200503_151904

 

Had some trouble to connect pipes to the exhaust, broke it few times.

 

 

20200503_151835

 

Yaah I know, I forgot to paint it :)

 

Now, I'll just add some dust and send, work a bit more on details (not very happy with sleeping bags for example) and call it done. But this will have to wait for the next weekend.

 

Appologies for so many images, I couln't decide.

 

Cheers!

Nenad

  • Like 9
Link to post
Share on other sites

That's looking really very good Nenad.

I really enjoyed building mine unfortunately I managed to break the tracks during the photo session. I couldn't get a satisfactory finish on the repair so I'm waiting for some replacement ones from Bronco. 

Have you used the link and length ones or the rubber ones? I can't say I particularly like link and length ones but yours look to be a lot more even than I managed to do.

 

Wayne 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice work. Mine is "parked" until next weekend when I will start the weathering

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, diablo rsv said:

That's looking really very good Nenad.

I really enjoyed building mine unfortunately I managed to break the tracks during the photo session. I couldn't get a satisfactory finish on the repair so I'm waiting for some replacement ones from Bronco. 

Have you used the link and length ones or the rubber ones? I can't say I particularly like link and length ones but yours look to be a lot more even than I managed to do.

 

Wayne 

Thank you Wayne.

 

I used rubber ones, as they are mostly hidden by side skirts anyway. Mine were quite bad quality though, they were damaged on a few places, seam lines are very visible, etc. but I somehow managed to place them that way that most of the ugly parts stayed hidden.

 

Best,

Nenad

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, robw_uk said:

Nice work. Mine is "parked" until next weekend when I will start the weathering

Thank you! I'll start the weathering next weekend as well. What do you plan to do with weathering?

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Nenad Ilijic said:

Thank you! I'll start the weathering next weekend as well. What do you plan to do with weathering?

apart from ruin the model you mean? Brown filter first, then some oil dot rendering, line wash... dust... needs to fairly weathered to go on the back of the transporter

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/4/2020 at 1:15 PM, robw_uk said:

apart from ruin the model you mean? Brown filter first, then some oil dot rendering, line wash... dust... needs to fairly weathered to go on the back of the transporter

Yeah, I know... I am always anxious when I have to start weathering 😕

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Nenad Ilijic said:

Yeah, I know... I am always anxious when I have to start weathering 😕

been watching videos (always a bad idea). Going to start with a brown pin wash to highlight rivets etc etc and then do an oil filter probably of white and grey to desaturate (maybe a touch of sandy/browny colour). Should get both of those done over the long weekend we have here in the UK (also need to do some painting on the Type 16_ 

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, robw_uk said:

been watching videos (always a bad idea). Going to start with a brown pin wash to highlight rivets etc etc and then do an oil filter probably of white and grey to desaturate (maybe a touch of sandy/browny colour). Should get both of those done over the long weekend we have here in the UK (also need to do some painting on the Type 16_ 

I had to desaturate as well, but I decided to do that right after the paint job, before semi-gloss coat. I did it with pre-made filter though (Mig's Dust Filter).

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi guys, I was able to do some weathering before the weekend. So here's the result. I will probably leave it like that cause I prefer subtle weathering. Maybe just few corrections here and there before posting ti RFI.

 

20200506_174503

 

20200506_174521

 

20200506_174537

 

Some details here:

 

20200506_174557

 

And few photos on sunlight.

 

20200506_174803

 

20200507_170113

 

20200507_170215

 

Apologies once again for so many photos and particularly for not using a professional setup but mobile phone, but I hope it works.

 

Best,

Nenad

 

 

 

 

  • Like 14
Link to post
Share on other sites

That's a superb finish. I wanted something like that on the Pz.II I've just finished but didn't dare start it as it wouldn't have come out anywhere near that subtle. 

 

Something to aspire to in future though :)

 

Andy

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks really good, the weathering and dusty finish is great. 

As I mentioned earlier, I really like the finish on the exhaust however the tracks are excellent too, just the right sort of grey brown metallic to look real, together with the sand and dirt in the recesses, they look superb.

 

Excellant. 

Darryl 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/10/2020 at 11:14 AM, Jasper dog said:

Looks really good, the weathering and dusty finish is great. 

As I mentioned earlier, I really like the finish on the exhaust however the tracks are excellent too, just the right sort of grey brown metallic to look real, together with the sand and dirt in the recesses, they look superb.

 

Excellant. 

Darryl 

Thank you Darryl. I am using a mix of Tamiya 50% Dark Iron and 50% Flat Brown as a base color for tracks that I am quite happy about. Figured that out after a lot of failed experiments with different mixes :)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...