Blackburn NA39 - withdrawn

Here is my first entry for this GB.  And to be honest with you all, I'm a little bit scared of it.  :yikes: 

I have built resin kits before, but never of this complexity.  I'm well out of my comfort zone.

spacer.png

• Like 12

56 minutes ago, Enzo Matrix said:

I'm well out of my comfort zone.

That's a good thing, by the way.  :) 

So, let's look at the parts.  Firstly, the fuselage halves.  As with almost all Buccaneer kits, there are split horizontally.

spacer.png

Cursory fit trials show that they don't.  At all!  :fraidnot:   However, I think that is a result of the casting process as there are numerous casting inclusions that shouldn't be there.  I think some judicious fettling may help.

The remainder of the parts are shown in their sealed bags.  I have a long and disastrous history of losing parts to the carpet monster :wall:  , so I'm not going to take anything out of the bags unless I absolutely need to... 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Interestingly the undercarriage parts are cast in a different colour resin.  I wonder if this means that they are stronger.  I'm sure I'll find out.

There is some excellent pre-painted photoetch and a couple of equally excellent decal sheets.

spacer.png

Altogether a bit of a challenge.  Looking forward to it!  :bounce: 

• Like 9

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/23/2020 at 10:04 PM, Enzo Matrix said:

Interestingly the undercarriage parts are cast in a different colour resin.  I wonder if this means that they are stronger.  I'm sure I'll find out.

I'm sure I read somewhere that that is the case. Now don't ask me where coz what with old age fast approaching, the old grey matter ain't what it used to be! More than likely it was someone's wip somewhere else on here.

Mark.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Sadly, there has been absolutely no progress on this build.  I have spent the last few weeks carefully trimming and fettling the fuselage parts in an attempt to get them to fit.  Unfortunately, it is just not happening. This one is clearly beyong my capabilities.  So, I am going to withdraw this build.

That doesn't mean there will be no NA39 though.   I have come up with a Plan B.  I'm going to convert an Airfix kit.

I can't guarantee that I will finish it in the GB timeframe but, just like Pat Benatar, I'll hit it with my best shot!  :) 

• Like 3
  • Sad 2