X-32 “Guppy”

Good day to all,

Let me warn you first. This is one awfully ugly airplane that I am about to unveil on you.  My friends picked this kit for me to do after my previous project.  Here are the highlights I found of the kit............

1. Very good fit of parts

2. Excellent detail throughout

3. Main colors used.....

A. Polly Scale Light Ghost Gray FS36375

B. Tamiya Sky Grey XF-19

C. Model Master Dark Gull Gray ( cockpit )

D. Mission Models White

E. Exhaust section : AK Interactive Extreme Burnt Metal, Steel, & Metallic Purple

4. Vallejo washes : Black, Lt Gray, Dark Brown, & Maroon

5. Added pilot from Hasegawa Pilot / Ground Crew set ( #X72-7 )

6. Weathering done with paint and washes.  

7. Replaced both nose pitot`s with metal tubes.  

All kidding aside, while not a type I would normally build, I found this particular kit extremely delightful to put together.  I decided to depict the “Guppy” a bit weathered towards the end of the evaluation phase.  Oddly, I could not find any red and blue / green wing lights from pictures so I simply omitted them ( for now ).  I believed this kit languished on my shelf for about 25 years. I had completely forgot that I had it. I used the kit supplied decals to complete the project.  I recommend this kit to all skill levels.

Thank you in advance!!!!!

Mike

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 36

That is one ugly turkey, but you made it look about as good as it could! I just finished a kit that I started 11 years ago... you definitely beat me on longest time to complete! Way to stick with it, and finally wrap it up.

Thanks for sharing, neighbor!

• Thanks 1

Have never seen a model of this aircraft before!

High on the list of "ugliest Airplanes ever produced".

At least, the air intake gives her some kind of a distorted smile …

Thanks for showing!

Greetings from Vienna, Roman

• Thanks 1

That's fantastic. What a great job you've made. 👍 First model I've seen of this aircraft. When you see this though.... thank God that we ended up with the F-35! (even though that's the 2nd ugliest aircraft in the world) 😁

• Thanks 1

Very well finished, Mr Keg! Stands out well for a monochrome finish. 

Imagine if that had been the JSF contest winner 😮 the rentagob critics would have won and we'd be trailing the Russians /Chinese by now... 

• Thanks 1

Very nice build! Like the weathering. As has been said before, the original was an ugly airplane and Boeing's proposed production variant with the change from a delta configuration to conventional swept wings wasn't much better ... if it could be considered better. Nice to hear that the kit goes together so well. I like the weathered look. 

• Thanks 1

Strangely I have just finished my version of this but it is the Italeri boxed one, I believe it is the same mould. As this is the Joint Strike Fighter Program double kit of X-32A and X-35B the decals supplied are very few and far between. Love your weathering, did you have any problems with the seam in the intake? I took one look and thought "No way am I going to even try and tackle that" so I have an ugly seam line in the intake lip. If I had the confidence I would post my version on the forum but my mojo levels are wafer thin as they are 😂.

Great work on what I think is a rather beautiful beast, It may be ugly but I found some of the best aircraft are!

Marc

• Thanks 1

Difficult to believe that huge, angular air-scoop would have been at all "stealthy". Would expect it to reflect radar-waves like a big barn-door.

You made a marvellous job of building and painting her, my friend.

Thanks for sharing with us.  

Chris. 

• Thanks 1

A great rendition of a peculiar looking aircraft with a very nice paint finish.  One wonders what Boeing were thinking with this design. It would be interesting to know how the STOVL version would have looked.  Not a lot of space for the lift fan, I would have thought.  The huge intake doesn't look too stealthy but a shark mouth marking would make for an intersting 'What If'. 

• Thanks 1

My favorite "ugly" plane.

It is rare to see that military plane looks like smiling, but this is only association i have when see this big intake.

Great model

Best regards Djordje

• Thanks 1

On 4/23/2020 at 8:52 PM, Sky Keg said:

Good day to all,

Let me warn you first. This is one awfully ugly airplane that I am about to unveil on you.  My friends picked this kit for me to do after my previous project.  Here are the highlights I found of the kit............

1. Very good fit of parts

2. Excellent detail throughout

<snip>

All kidding aside, while not a type I would normally build, I found this particular kit extremely delightful to put together.  I decided to depict the “Guppy” a bit weathered towards the end of the evaluation phase.  Oddly, I could not find any red and blue / green wing lights from pictures so I simply omitted them ( for now ).  I believed this kit languished on my shelf for about 25 years. I had completely forgot that I had it. I used the kit supplied decals to complete the project.  I recommend this kit to all skill levels.

Thanks for a great presentation of a very overlooked subject.

Good to see the positives for this kit,  as I've had one in my stash since an Ebay purchase in 2004.

• Thanks 1

On 30/04/2020 at 00:56, spruecutter96 said:

Difficult to believe that huge, angular air-scoop would have been at all "stealthy". Would expect it to reflect radar-waves like a big barn-door.

I think the theory was that even radar dishes would wince and turn away rather than look directly at it

Edited by LostCosmonauts
  • Haha 2

How do you tell someone they did a fantastic job, modelling an ugly plane?

That's what I'm doing right now, I guess.  😁

Great job anyway!

👍👍

• Thanks 1

Very nice model of s strange looking plane!

Maybe they should not have changed the design for series production that late in order to win the contract!

Would they have been quicker though?

.... just some thoughts, sorry!

• Thanks 1

This plane is an inspiration to us all. Does it let all the people calling it ugly get it down? No it does not, it just smiles a big smile and lets it all wash over it.

Nice build, too!

• Thanks 1