Wrinkling with humbrol black 33 recoats

Aces High

Hi, wonder if anyone can help. I've always used Humbrol enamel paints, usually recoating in as little as 6 hours as per the tin. I'm painting a De Havilland Mosquito in night bomber colours, using Humbrol black 33 well thinned with Humbrol thinners. My first effort at a recoating (6 hours drying time) basically melted the previous coat, so I had to wipe off both coats on the effected panel. I then re did the first coat on that panel, and waited 20 hours. On recoating, it's wrinkled... What's going on? It's not like it's too cold for it to dry... Anyone had this happen to them?

Would have been about 4 years ago... Funny thing is I've used about half of the tin without this happening, although I have thinned it more for this job.

Just now, Aces High said:

I'm thinking it must be... But can it really need more then 24 hours?

Not sure with a matt finish, but I've used Humbrol Gloss colours in the past and they've literally taken days to dry and weeks to fully harden. It's one of the main reasons I switched over to using lacquers, they are literally dry in a matter of minutes and ready for another coat..

• 2 weeks later...

Late to the party, but oh well.

I have had this happen before with a few colours from the last of the Chinese Humbrol enamels. I would be surprised if you managed to get one of those in flat black only four years ago though, as 33 flat black usually are one of the first to sell out.

Second, I never use the humbrol thinner in the newer UK tins. I have had too many problems with skinning, weird behaviour, etc. I have successfully thinned the UK enamels with Colourcoats thinner in the tins, and then use the humbrol enamel thinner when I am thinning them out of the tin. Weird? Yep. Works without destroying or causing problems with the paint in the tin? So far yes, and I have been doing this for a number of years now.

God the crap we enamel users sometimes have to go through haha