MATCHBOX 1/72 Handley Page Heyford Mk 1

Blimey Chris, you must have one heck of a big workbench ....................

Mine is looking like the Handley Page factory at Radlett.

Edited by adey m
  • Like 1

resized_28e68f77-110c-4076-8a2a-a1a5a68a

Fuselage with the various fixtures and fittings fitted.

resized_8697b248-ea05-43f3-ae42-8643fac0

First coat of Humbrol Dark Slate Grey has been brush painted on.

resized_753079cc-7ef7-4fb5-96f1-37932fd1

Wings with engines and undercarriage attached. Struts attached only to upper wing at this point with it all just resting on lower wing ................ a tribute to the Matchbox engineering.

Had to replace the struts running from the engines to the fuselage with more suitable items from my spares as kit ones are too thin.

Note the wing mounted wind-driven generators which were only fitted to the Mark 1. I replaced the tiny propellers with scratchbuilt ones. The Mark II and III had engine-driven generators.

Next stage will be the mating of wings to fuselage ..............

Edited by adey m
  • Like 13

54 minutes ago, adey m said:

Blimey Chris, you must have one heck of a big workbench ....................

Mine is looking like the Handley Page factory at Radlett.

Are you looking at my signature, believe it or not, my temporary work bench is quite small, I have multiple shelves of work in progress (or shame).  When the mancave is complete I will have loads of space.  Getting excited now about that.

Great work on the kit, the fuselage looks lovely as does the wing assembly. What are you going to use for the rigging when the time comes?

All the best

Chris

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi Adey,

I remember you showing me the fuselage at Huddersfield I think it was a couple of years ago. It's great to see it on here. Looks like its coming along nicely and will make for a good reference when I come to build mine. Thanks for sharing.

Mark

• Thanks 1

I am just looking forward how you will do the rigging.

If it's 'easy' enough I'll start my long absence on the model bench with this kit.

Wasn't even aware the kit provided the parts for three versions.

Anyways awesome build so far !!!!

Cheers,
Martin from 'Ösiland'

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

resized_9ad1a234-c8bc-4b5e-8de3-dbc91250

The time had finally arrived to bring it all together. The upper wing was attached to the fuselage first and allowed to set overnight.  Next day masking tape was used to strap the wings together while the glue applied to where struts meet the lower wing was allowed to set.

At this point I had not installed the two V struts between the fuselage and lower wing because again, the kit's struts are too thin so I decided I would make my own from Aeroclub aerofoil struts once the lower wing was fixed in place. You can see the offending articles in the background.

Dictionary of Anglo Saxon swear words at hand and ready ..................

Edited by adey m
  • Like 4

resized_24cba411-11c7-4fd8-8f0b-875fa3c0

Replacement V struts between fuselage and lower wing inserted one strut at a time with a long-nosed tweezers, a very fiddly task. Aileron and elevator mass balances added courtesy of my spares collection.

Scratchbuilt aileron activators under the upper wing and pitot tube under nose.

resized_31adf168-6556-441b-97aa-f008015a

Note the added mass balance on rear elevator.

resized_303e10c8-2a8f-48ff-a219-0b245119

There can't be many parts left in the box now.

Time to get painting as that white fuselage is distracting me.

Edited by adey m
  • Like 11

I remember building the Heyford it looked like it was going to be a formidable build but I recall it all went together relatively easy. For the time it was a very good kit Matchbox at the top of it's game.

All I can remember about the NIVO paint was that it was deliberately shiny supposedly to look like Moonlight reflected off the sea. I used Brunswick green coach paint pinched from a tin my dad had in the shed to patch up rust spots on his Bedford van.

• Thanks 1

Aahh, we are back ................

resized_f9dff186-e092-42fd-80b7-573984fb

The model awaiting painting surrounded by some of the other contents of the kit. Beautifully clear and well drawn multi-lingual instruction sheet and seperate painting guide for the three optional versions, lovely decal sheet and a selection of the multi-coloured sprues, green, brown and black. One of the optional early wheel spat halves is attached to the sprues................ so you actually get four optional versions in the kit.

resized_3fcd6a46-0162-408f-8e4d-075b2478

This is the option I decided to do, a Mark 1 of 99 Squadron Royal Air Force based at Upper Heyford near Oxford in 1934. The draughtsman had mistakenly included the square side window in the nose ( although he has only put one on one side only ), remember the Mark 1 did not have these, Another thing that appears on the drawing which is at odds with the kit is that he has drawn the correct size tailwheel.

My notes at the top refer to the Humbrol colours I used, so that I know in the future if someone asks me or I need reminding ................ or somebody ( Valom ? ) brings out an injection Vickers Virginia or Handley Page Hinaidi ...............

Edited by adey m
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, AltcarBoB said:

Or a Fairey Hendon. Please manufacturers pretty please I have been wanting a good Hendon kit for a very long time. 

Oh yes please ................. and no wing struts and rigging

resized_f88c8578-23f1-44f1-92ea-6254b04f

Over a few days during the lockdown I brush painted the model, it was quite challenging at times trying to access parts of the model between the struts and wings. After two or three coats of paint I applied a coat of Klear floor polish to the model

The 35 year old decals behaved as though they were new, sliding off the backing paper in one piece with no curling after a couple of minutes in warm water, and strong enough to move around without breaking.

I paint on an area of Klear floor polish where the decal is to go just before applying the decal, the polish helps adhesion. The red stripe decals around the wheel spats were amazing, they just fitted perfectly.

In the box of parts behind can be seen one of the ladders that are supplied in the kit.

resized_1804476a-8ecf-4a92-9045-8239113b

And then it was time for the job I was not looking forward too ................ the rigging. I use stretched sprue and here I have layed out my weapons of choice.

I have been building models for 54 years so I have lots of spare parts and sprue offcuts. I prefer to use the old silver grey sprues from the older Airfix kits, the plastic stretches better and it is the correct colour, silver grey, so does not require painting.

Off course we need a source of heat, the candle, to heat up and soften the sprue before stretching it. The dividers were used to measure the length of rigging required on the model, then add a bit, then try it for size with the long-nosed tweezers, curse a lot as it falls off or you cannot seem to get into that awkward place, cut a bit off, try again, cut a bit more off, apply the glue then curse again because it is too short ...............

I use white PVA glue to hold the ends of the rigging, a small blob of glue is applied to where each end of the rigging wire is to go, then apply the rigging to the top blob of glue first and use gravity to help you, while the glue holds the top of the rigging you can position the other lower end with the tweezers. The beauty of using white PVA glue is it holds well, is water based so mistakes can be wiped away, and it dries clear.

resized_70a0bae7-7400-4923-9457-aa9c2a1c

And after a couple of days she was nearing completion. Guns and underwing bomb racks have been applied.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Oh yes very nice indeed. Great work fella.  I have never had much success with stretched sprue for rigging myself so this is excellent work on your part with the sprue.

Lovely model

All the best

Chris

Hi Chris, the sprue stretching was the most frustrating part of the build, I probably ended up with less than a quarter of the stretched sprue that was a consistent thickness and straight enough to use. And burnt a finger too .............

regards, adey

Edited by adey m
  • Like 1

resized_97cee43b-9a60-4c88-93da-caf32165

So much close up detail here in this photo of a Mark 1 of 10 Squadron. Useful details include the Lewis gun and mounting, the pitot tube mast, front navigation light and open bomb aiming window.

resized_297974d0-f98a-4c8e-ba01-b8d6f0fc

I scratchbuilt the gun mountings. I used the kit's Lewis guns with extra details like the sights added. The lower dustbin turret is retracted. A small piece of brass rod provides something to pull on to bring the turret down.

resized_ee251644-1ab2-4dd6-a9c5-e70bc7c2

Lower dustbin turret in deployed position. The gun mounting just clips in place and is removed before retracting the turret.

resized_7e8c630b-01c8-4822-b63b-270fef4e

Lower turret rotates as well as retracting.

resized_6819a50a-3f3c-4377-91e5-f23a953d

resized_052d1c1f-fb75-4c08-a4c6-456a6718

Time now to add a crew and some external bombs.

resized_122b25e7-096e-4655-b734-289404f3

The standing gunners are from the kit and are well detailed with seperate arms that can be posed correctly to the guns. The pilot is from an Airfix kit. I have added masks and microphone leads.

The figures are held by Blu Tac to a rubber eraser for painting.

The bombs are temporarily glued to a piece of sprue by their tails to allow for painting.

Edited by adey m
  • Like 10

Looks bloomin' gorgeous Adey. 

I might have to have a go at getting the sprue stretched consistently.  I have done some cotton bud stems to make some small tubing for rigging 32 scale planes etc.

I hope your finger isn't burnt too much.

Keep up the good work

All the best

Chris

• Thanks 1

resized_0397ca79-6b7d-46bb-bb95-4d098d39

The vacant cockpit and nose turret. Double control wheels column made from brass rod bent to shape and which is pivoted at either end into holes drilled in plastic card cockpit structure.

resized_c3e587bd-097b-4f53-9536-123fffe4

resized_5135add8-629b-4219-81d5-02bcca02

Full crew complement finally in place and kit's bombs clipped onto external racks.

resized_80965fd8-f29a-44ba-9cb1-78f4547f

Downward identification light under fuselage nose with square opening for camera just behind it. Open crew access hatch just aft of V struts. I have modelled the internal bomb stowage in the lower wing centre section with the doors closed which is one of the kit's options. The kit does contain a full complement of bombs and optional open bomb doors.

resized_f49df671-83c3-4dad-a448-6e12ba0a

And finally she is finished. And now the factory production line can be turned over to the Harrow bomber.

resized_2e7e5884-a057-45c8-b9cd-a96a3376

resized_84fa6256-144c-4d96-8564-44db460a

resized_e41cb5b0-e9b1-4178-933a-a7a1a153

Parked outside on the airfield awaiting collection by an RAF crew.

Thank you all for your interest and kind comments. I really enjoyed building this model, a large complicated looking biplane made so much easier to assemble thanks to superb Matchbox engineering.

It will appear next in RAF service on Ready For Inspection. See you there.

regards, adey

Edited by adey m
  • Like 16