MATCHBOX 1/72 Handley Page Heyford Mk 1

I remember buying this kit from a local newsagent shop about 1985 and it had been in my loft stash ever since. It is an original multi-coloured plastic issue with 1980 moulded inside one of the wing halves.

I started building it about two years ago and spent much, maybe too much effort on scratchbuilding an almost complete fuselage interior.  I am fortunate to have a Profile Publications Number 182 on the Heyford from the 1960s which contains a cutaway and several internal photos of the fuselage plus many inspirational photos and explanations of all the different versions. Having put so much time, research and effort into the fuselage I became restless to do something else so it all went back into its box. Then along came a rekindled passion from thirty years ago, motorbikes, and that sort of put a stop to my modelling.

Then along came this world wide virus, and I found myself furloughed from work with plenty of time to spend indoors, and so I thought why not carry on with the Heyford. I was a bit worried as the last biplane I built was way back in 1976, that was the then new Airfix Sopwith Pup. But I have built a number of the small Matchbox biplanes and so I know how well engineered they are.

resized_1582cd93-7433-44b2-8117-9a5fff70

I took this photo of the remaining parts and decals after I had completed the model. It shows the multi-coloured plastic parts typical of the Matchbox kits.

resized_847ae916-2203-43d9-85d2-a8095bb8

A photograph that just inspires me to want to build a Heyford. Taken from the Profile Publication.

resized_282d5543-6c7a-4ba8-8efa-7df9bcfa

Inspirational colour profiles from the Profile Publication.

resized_0bf3c862-d3da-4c6f-9329-58c8962c

Useful cut-away drawing.

resized_2b9b1091-25c1-45ef-a4bf-f3badbc1

Some useful interior photographs from the Profile.

resized_0fbeac38-e393-4090-a4ef-51a22107

The Matchbox kit designer thoughtfully broke down the fuselage into the forward metal monocoque structure and the rear fabric covered metal tube structure.

Here we have the left hand side of the forward fuselage. from left to right we have the wireless operator's position with the trailing aerial winding wheel, then camera and parachute pack. Next we have the pilot's cockpit with the huge trim wheel, throttle quadrant and instrument panel. And then we have the nose gunner/bomb aimer's position with spare ammunition drums and a gunnery step.

Just need to break off here as I am being called to dinner. Be back soon.

• Like 24

Fantastic choice, got one in the stash too.  Thanks for putting up the images too.   I am already adding to Favourites to use for when I build mine.  Great start so far.

Keep up the good work and enjoy your dinner.

All the best

Chris

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Good to see you back on here again, Adey. You always do something interesting.

Agreed Pete, it is great to see Adey back. This should be very interesting. I too liked the look of the Heyford, I tried building it when I got back into the hobby in old '99, and I am sad to say it went in the bin. I have regretted it ever since!

That Profile looks very good too, I can see why it has taken your interest @adey m.

All the best,

Ray

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I recall a full page ad in the late lamented Scale Models of Tony James (the colourful character of  Comet Miniatures & TJ Models) holding a Matchbox Heyford he had built.

I can't help with the build, but thought I'd pass this nugget on.

Tommo.

Edited by The Tomohawk Kid
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, The Tomohawk Kid said:

I recall a full page ad in the late lamented Scale Models of Tony James (the colourful character of  Comet Miniatures & TJ Models) holding a Matchbox Heyford he had built.

I recall that advert as well... one of several. I recall one for the 1/32 Puma.

Nice build so far. I have the same kit in my parents' loft.. :)

Matt

• Like 2

Hello Adey,

Really great idea and wonderfull internals !

Keep carry on !! 

Can't wait to see it in the RFI section !!

Old started kits in the drawer of doom get out thanks to that evil's virus...

At least, this virus is good for something....

It did'nt make it sympathetic however !!

Sincerely.

CC

• Thanks 1

Thank you guys, it is good to be back in such company.

Just need to add something before we continue, the conundrum of COLOURS, what were the interior colours of a Heyford? What exactly is the colour/shade of NIVO, a conundrum for many modellers judging by the many different shades of ' green '  adorning all the Heyfords I have seen on display.

The interior photos show a lighter colour used on the fabric and inside the forward cabin. The cockpit and bomb aimers position appear to be a darker shade. So after much thinking I decided to paint the cockpit and front compartment the same shade as the exterior of the aircraft. And knowing what I know now I wish I had painted the fabric and wireless cabin interior white .................. I am now building the Heyford's successor, the Harrow, and the fabric interior colour was white. Hey ho.

And what colour did I eventually decide to replicate NIVO with? Well after trialling a number of different colours I opted for Humbrol Matt 224 Dark Slate Grey. The problem with exact colour matches if that were possible is that they are too dark when scaled down to 1/72 scale. The colour I needed to use had to still be 'scale' in shade when a coat of varnish had been applied over it.

resized_3406e4bf-010c-4ac6-96c0-873d560e

Here we have the right hand side of the forward fuselage. Nearest we have the wireless operator's seat and wireless equipment, forward porthole has been blanked over, then we have the folded seat for the second pilot and the gangway running into the forward bomb aimers/gunners position. In there we have the stowed drift sight, bomb aimer's stool and bombing control panel.

resized_f8b0e4e7-81f0-4443-82ac-0afe2e17

When the two halves are joined we have this. The double control wheels column is pivoted and actually moves back and forwards.

resized_ce4a04d7-37db-4e49-ae47-1eec21ba

This is how small it all is.

resized_71d298b0-0bec-40b9-88d8-ac5cbbab

Yep, looking quite busy in there ......

resized_37edcc22-8852-4d41-a44a-50227564

resized_a6aa0318-bab0-40ad-b341-1814fce2

This view shows the other corresponding parts of the fuselage, a continuous roof from front to rear and a lower rear fuselage section.

I decided that I would try and make the ventral dustbin turret retract and rotate, mmmm . So I have cut out the turret opening and have also cut out the crew access hatch opening.

resized_541a261a-c162-4780-a393-d5fa05d8

Dustbin turret with gunner in place, scratchbuilt camera and pilot waiting patiently.

resized_22b49f72-221b-43e6-ad5a-5fc4c9ee

resized_f634b809-b1bc-49c5-9153-69e81fed

Lower dustbin turret in position. Upper gunner's floor and gunnery steps, spare ammunition drums, parachutes stowage, maintenance ladders which were carried for when the aircraft were operating away from home base, lower access hatch and electrical panel.

Edited by adey m
  • Like 20

Servicing ladders ?? For a Heyford ??

IMG_20200424_203100

Drawing from J. Barbaud, Sorry, I can't resist...

Astonishing indeed :rofl2:

Real great job Adey !! Congrats !!

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Hello Adey,

it is always a delight to see an old classic like this. You have done an excellent job with the interior. Moving control column in 1/72 scale model; that's really something.

I built a lot of Matchbox kits as a kid (a Heyford among them) and I think that their box art was -and still is -second to none. Therefore I was delighted to see the original box as well.

Kind Regards,

Antti

• Thanks 1

This kit contains optional parts and decals to make any of the three production marks and also wheel spats for the pre production Mark 1, therefore the decision about which one to build needs to be made before construction starts.

I decided to build a production Mark 1 with two bladed props.

resized_71d298b0-0bec-40b9-88d8-ac5cbbab

What I forgot to highlight early on is that the square windows either side of the nose which Matchbox would have you fit to every version where not installed on the Mark 1.

I blanked them off, smoothed with filler, and then extended the external stiffenners across them.

Note also the concertina door between the cockpit and front compartment and the stowed parachute.

Edited by adey m
  • Like 9

Hi Adey

Great work on the internals.  They look cracking.  I like the idea of Humbrol 224 for the Nivo, I am currently working on an FAA Gosling and so popped away from my work desk and Laptop, don't tell anyone and checked the colour and it's a good call.  Thank you for that it is handy to know.  

Keep up the good work

All the best

Chris

• Thanks 1

That's a terrific start and a lovely subject. I remember that old kit too, but the one I stuck together as a kid has long gone. Might have to look for one on ebay to complement the 0/400 I my stash, when I get round to it.

Looking forward to seeing your progress on this one.

• Thanks 1

resized_307c224d-e539-49f1-936c-9717900f

A Heyford in its element,  setting off over the 1930s countryside at dusk for a night flight lasting a few hours. I love this photograph.

Edited by adey m
  • Like 8

17 hours ago, adey m said:

I am fortunate to have a Profile Publications Number 182 on the Heyford from the 1960s which contains a cutaway and several internal photos of the fuselage plus many inspirational photos and explanations of all the different versions.

there is a scan of the Heyford profile here

https://boxartden.com/reference/gallery/index.php/Modeling-References/Aircraft-Profiles/Britain/Between-the-Wars/Handley-Page-Heyford-182

which may help others fired up by this build.   

Scale Models in their October 1980 issue (Biplane special) did a build and article of the kit which has some useful info.

HTH

• Like 3

I know nuffin' about the Heyford so this will be a learning experience for me. I'm a real fan of your modelling skills and by sheer coincidence I've been looking through your thread on airfield dioramas again recently and am blown away (again) by how beautiful they are. I'm really looking forward to seeing how this develops.

• Thanks 1

resized_1762ccb5-8368-4c97-904b-55823394

The top photograph of a Mark 1 illustrates well the horizontal framework of the rear fuselage showing through the fabric covering. Note also the size of the tail wheel.

resized_2de9857c-171b-4248-8141-2e00f644

Because of the way the fuselage components of the model were designed, at a time before slide moulds, we end up with a slab sided fuselage with just a couple of fine raised lines to represent the fabric over the structure.

There was a fabulous Heyford build article by Neil Pinchbeck in Scale Aircraft Modelling back in May 2014 where he used an ingenious method to replicate the fabric covering of the fuselage sides. So I thought I would give it a try.

resized_37ed4061-4552-48e4-b058-84ebfec6

Cut out the shapes of each side of the fuselage from the thinnest plasticard. Then use a biro pen nib to scribe the two structure lines on the reverse of the plasticard with it sat on a softish surface like a clean cutting matt, and hey presto, we end up with this.

Then glue the plasticard sides with liquid glue to the fuselage sides with the proud fabric detailing facing outwards. But first remove the raised fairings which are moulded to each side of the rear fuselage, you will only need one on the left hand side anyway.

Note the blanked out square window in the side of the nose and the additional rear porthole.

resized_6dad4ef2-8803-45d7-95d4-b267db50

In this view we have a more suitable sized tailwheel which I found in my spares. The tailwheel that comes in the kit is far too small, the tailwheel which I found to look correct in size was from a 1/72 DC 3 Dakota.

I glued a length of fine brass rod into the leg to provide strength and also so it can be posed offset.

resized_5f16782d-2443-412d-8e5f-825119a8

I am jumping ahead here somewhat but it shows just how underscale the kit's tailwheel is. The other feature this view illustrates is the fairing just forward of the tailplane. Many drawings show a cable or two coming from it and heading off somewhere under the tailplane. I have studied many photos and just cannot see evidence of cables. I think this was possibly a vent to allow fumes to escape from inside the fuselage.

resized_29a9e8b1-f505-4cd6-aab6-ec2b8c76

And while we are on the subject of wheels here we have the two main spatted undercarriage. The wheels are free to rotate and I have filed a flat spot in each tyre. This makes it so much easier finding the perfect flat spots when posing the model.

There are parts for two different types of spats in the kit but the other ones are the more angular ones fitted to the prototypes and pre production machines. Note the moulded hatch detail at the rear of each spat, these were the refuelling points but they only need to be on the side facing outwards on each spat, not on both sides as moulded.

Edited by adey m
  • Like 7

32 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Hi Adey

Cracking thread, some great useful info and images.  Great work, fuselage together very quickly.

All the best

Chris

Thank you Chris. I actually built the fuselage about two years ago then put it to one side until recently when I renewed construction and completed it.

regards

adey

• Like 2