1/12 Tamiya Honda NSR500 - '86 Wayne Gardner

26 minutes ago, JCH said:

Have you had many/any other uses for the pens?

I think that they are perfect for this type of application, highlighting bolt heads, small raised details, and window trim. I've also seen them used to good effect on taillight/headlight recesses prior to the 'glass' being placed over. The main issue, like any 'chrome' finish in model applications, is durability. This stuff takes forever to dry and tarnishes very easily, touch it once and a re-application is required. All of these things make their use limited in my opinion. The are very easy to use though, just touch the tip onto the bolt head, the longer you leave it the more it pools. 

Will Pattison does an in depth test of these pens on his YouTube channel. He even opens one up and sprays it through his airbrush.

Here is the link if you are interested https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4nF6AxmhzE&t=1043s

Cheers

Andy

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi all.

Apart from a few PE nuts and bits the chassis is now done.

49840775196_1465ce17af_c.jpg

49840263598_ee7a7f90d7_c.jpg

Unfortunately my fears about the MSM Creations decals were correct. They are naff.. This simple little Rothmans decal took an eternity to conform with the simple curve of the fender, even with the strongest solutions. There are some much sharper curves and vents on the bodywork that just aren't going to work. I've managed to find some form Decalpool which I hope will be better. I've never used Decalpool before so fingers crossed.

49840240923_d008ef99a3_c.jpg

Front end fitted into the chassis. super happy with the progress so far. The aim has been to keep it as clean and sharp as I can, hopefully this will also carry over to the bodywork.

49840780886_aaeab68ec9_c.jpg

Couldn't help but to include a shot with a better backdrop.

Cheers
Andy

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Motoholic said:

The aim has been to keep it as clean and sharp as I can,

Ahhhh, yaa!  SUPER clean.  Dunno if you are using Miro Sol / Micro Set for your decals.  Great stuff.  Oh, and your photography, either background, is as good as the model.  

JCH

11 minutes ago, JCH said:

Ahhhh, yaa!  SUPER clean.  Dunno if you are using Miro Sol / Micro Set for your decals.  Great stuff.  Oh, and your photography, either background, is as good as the model.  

JCH

Mate I threw everything I had at those decals. Microsol, Tamiya Mark Fit Strong and Mr Mark Softer. I haven't done much decaling but I can just tell the sharper curves just aren't going to work, they are too thick. Cheers for the comments, I appreciate it!

Looking good!! Shame about the problem you're having with the decals. I've used MSM before on an Ayrton Senna fugure and they were fantastic to use, maybe the quality has gone downhill? Hope the new ones you've ordered will be better...

I've spent the last few days on the bodywork.

Firstly joining the two halves of the tank/seat unit leaves a very obvious seam that needs a good amount of filling, sanding and then priming.

49862136068_802599ee47_c.jpg

49862134718_33c7b84004_c.jpg

Once ready it was pained in the Gravity Titanium White and then masked in preparation for the Rothmans Blue. I found the Gravity paints to be super thin but also easy to use.

49862132503_5134b8bc9b_c.jpg

49862665691_687498a9a0_c.jpg

49862127418_0334981726_c.jpg

Not the best masking job, left a little bit of overspray to be rectified. The colour transition will be covered by a decal so I'm not too concerned. 

Into a little delay now as I await the new decals to arrive.

Cheers
Andy

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Motoholic said:

the two halves of the tank/seat unit leaves a very obvious seam that needs a good amount of filling, sanding and then priming

I don't understand why they don't mold parts like this, with such high visibility, as one (at least the tank).  What do I know?  As previously stated, excellent work.  Please continue.  

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, JCH said:

I don't understand why they don't mold parts like this, with such high visibility, as one (at least the tank).  What do I know?  As previously stated, excellent work.  Please continue.  

True, I've seen tanks, seat units, even front mud guards that look like they'd be pretty easy to mold as one, but they mold as two halves to join and fill. I've even seen front upper fairing in two halves as well. 

Nice progress on the bike and the Rothmans Blue looks great!! I'm sure it will pop when clear is added 😀

Certainly on my Ducati 916, the shape of the tank/body prevents moulding in one piece I can see.  Too many in and outs, it would never come out of the mould.  Filling and sanding builds character anyway 😜

Jokes aside, nice job on the paintwork and filling.  This is going to look incredible, I can feel it.

bikes looking great, love the engine build those air filter are neat and everything else is so crisp really great build will watch out for more progress 

simon 

5 hours ago, HoolioPaulio said:

Certainly on my Ducati 916, the shape of the tank/body prevents moulding in one piece I can see.  Too many in and outs, it would never come out of the mould.  Filling and sanding builds character anyway 😜

Jokes aside, nice job on the paintwork and filling.  This is going to look incredible, I can feel it.

The exhausts on the 916 aren't a barrel of laughs either. Blimey.🥴

Completely agree with your second point. I'm really impressed with level of bike modelling on this forum.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Stef N. said:

The exhausts on the 916 aren't a barrel of laughs either.

I feel your pain.

The pipes on the Tamiya VFR750 (RC30) are tortuous!

Cheers,

Alan..

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

Excellent build and quality modelling. I just pulled my copy off the stash shelf to join a GB French Connection and use your build as a guide.

Gardener at the French GP '86. I'm told it's not French enough!!!

Colin