Saab JA-37 Viggen

Hello all

Just finished this one off. What a great kit the Special Hobby Viggen is. Easy assembly, great fit of parts, clear instructions, lovely decals. It would put some of the larger mainstream manufacturers to shame. I've not done a Special Hobby kit for a while and they've come on leaps and bounds. 

Paints from Vallejo, Tamiya and Mr Hobby...but in hindsight the light green is a bit on the bright side. Although looking at photos of real Viggens it seems to range from light browny olive to Kermit green and everything in between! 

Anyway here she is.... comments much appreciated 🙂

IMG_20200423_133356

IMG_20200423_133237

IMG_20200423_133337

IMG_20200423_133157

IMG_20200423_133323

IMG_20200423_133253

IMG_20200423_133215

If you do fancy doing a Viggen.... be prepared for lots of this! 🤪 

IMG_20200419_123044

• Like 54
  • Thanks 1

Absolutely beautiful! I bet you're tired of cutting and applying masking tape, but it was worth the effort, as I think yours is the best Viggen build I have seen in 1/72 scale. Next up is the Lansen? In my opinon, the Viggen is the best-built Swede since Ann-Margaret!

Mike

• Thanks 1

Your efforts at masking off each color paid outstanding rewards.  Because of your high quality results and synopsis, I look forward to putting this kit together in the near future.  Great job!!!!! :clap2:

Mike  

Wow thanks for the comments guys! Best Viggen build in 72nd scale?! Er..i don't think so but thanks for the kind words. I've taken great encouragement from other builds on here and the quality of those is outstanding. 👍 Talking of the Lansen I've actually got an old Heller kit in the stash so i may dig that out one day. Raised panel lines 🙈 Colour scheme is slightly easier though! 😄

3 hours ago, binbrook87 said:

Wow thanks for the comments guys! Best Viggen build in 72nd scale?! Er..i don't think so but thanks for the kind words. I've taken great encouragement from other builds on here and the quality of those is outstanding. 👍 Talking of the Lansen I've actually got an old Heller kit in the stash so i may dig that out one day. Raised panel lines 🙈 Colour scheme is slightly easier though! 😄

The Tarangus kit is very nice, but pricey! The aftermarket speedbrakes are a must, as IIRC, they are extended when the undercart is down. It is a handsome beast- sort of a Nordic Sabre Dog!

Mike

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Mikey-1980 said:

outstanding finish there Gra!

All that brain ache of the splinter cammo paid off too! looks superb! 

Cheers Mike. 👍 Yeh I'm fairly pleased with the result mate, luckily its now been ticked off my bucket list so I won't have to do another one! Other Swedes should be a lot easier on the camo front. 😁

• Like 1

I have got this kit with the aim of doing that splinter scheme, even got the paint mask set for it & still haven't mustered the courage to get started with it yet!

You're much braver than me! Superb work considering you did it without the a mask set.

Martin

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, binbrook87 said:

Cheers Mike. 👍 Yeh I'm fairly pleased with the result mate, luckily its now been ticked off my bucket list so I won't have to do another one! Other Swedes should be a lot easier on the camo front. 😁

Bet it did your......swede in? sorry....terrible joke......but still....🤣:D

• Haha 1

Superb Viggen.  It is a fantastic and futuristic looking beast of an aircraft.  That masking job would of tipped me over the edge....!!!  Well done for that!

• Thanks 1