Curtiss P-40E Kittyhawk ++Finished++

John

If you followed my Azure Blue quest a few years ago you'll know that I have a bit of a fixation with this distinctive and to me attractive shade:

Kitty12

This is Precision Paints M114 - spot on for colour and beautifully smooth. It's still wet in this photo.

John

• Like 7

17 hours ago, John said:

If you followed my Azure Blue quest a few years ago you'll know that I have a bit of a fixation with this distinctive and to me attractive shade:

I know what you mean John. ;) :D

I surely recall this kit, still got it tucked away somewhere thanks to a living mother who put my models away when they moved while I roamed the world. I did a another one in RAAF colours years later but you never get over that stunning art work. I'll follow this with enjoyment.  :)

Steve.

• Thanks 1

On 19/05/2020 at 21:49, John said:

This is Precision Paints M114 - spot on for colour and beautifully smooth. It's still wet in this photo.

Looking great, John. I've got your 'fixation' post on Azure Blue tucked away and it was a great help with an earlier build - will come out again if I pick up another Desert aircraft soon. Also, that latest Humbrol Middle Stone is a bit brighter than the 'old' 84 I used fairly recently - looks great as well. A bit of work coming with the undercarriage and doors etc?

• Like 1

I'd forgotten how poor the raised undercarriage option is on this kit. I wonder if I can modify the parts from the P-40B kit?

Interesting...

John 

• Like 2

A bit of Gloss Cote to get ready for decalling:

Kitty16

I think my parents had a living room carpet in these colours in the 1970s...

I love the old Humbrol square bottles - I haven't spilled one yet 😃

John

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Post #30 reminds me that my first copy of this kit ( a baggie in the early '70s) ended up in Airfix Mid Blue on the under surfaces, and Gloss Yellow on the upper surfaces, with blue marker making green patches.  I don't think it survived to get the Humbrol Authentic RAF Overseas treatment.

Looking at the header card now I find myself wondering if it's Caldwell or the luckless Burney at the controls.  That wouldn't even have occurred to me in those days.

Looking good, I'll follow this for sure.

Edited by JosephLalor
  • Thanks 1

On 5/31/2020 at 7:50 PM, John said:

Well, better than the original. Still needs a bit of tidying up but not bad:

Kitty14

John

Why does seeing the slot for the stand make me smile?

I was always torn between wheels up or down as a kid. The situation usually sorted itself out as lowered undercarriages didn't last long once the new build was pressed into service. One rough carpet landing and it was wheels up from then on!

• Like 4

I was, and still am,  a believer that aircraft look best in their natural environment  - in the air. Given the choice I would always build my models wheels up when I was young. 

It still makes me happy today to open a kit and find a stand. 

John 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, John said:

I was, and still am,  a believer that aircraft look best in their natural environment  - in the air. Given the choice I would always build my models wheels up when I was young. 

It still makes me happy today to open a kit and find a stand. 

John 

The difference between in the air and on the ground can be startling with many planes. The Stirling I'm doing now looks decidedly odd on its undercarriage, as if it's got massive scaffolding holding it at a strange angle. In the air it looks almost graceful with its regal cockpit standing proud. Does this mean I need to build two of the things?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I had a spare decal sheet from the Starter Set P-40B in the stash, so I'v used this for most of the markings:

Kitty17

The only bits from the original kit sheet are the serial numbers and the Y in the code.

Decals are fixed with Humbrol DecalFix, which has done a fine job of pulling the markings down over the surface detail.

John

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

It's got to have Algie driving to be a genuine Airfix kit:

Kitty18

It has a headrest from the P-40B kit and the bulkhead needs a bit of tidying up but it's coming along.

John

• Like 7

1 hour ago, modelling minion said:

Absolutely spot on John, she can't go flying around with out a pilot!

The pilots were the best parts of some of their older kits, together with those wonderful stands. 😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Transparencies fitted:

Kitty19

The fit is not good. The rear transparencies are too big and needed a fair bit of sanding. The canopy is better but needed it's lower edge redefined a bit. 

Framing next.

John

• Like 7