LOCKDOWN No4 - PANTHER D KURSK OFFENSIVE

4 hours ago, Redcoat2966 said:

Thanks Soeren.......maybe they do, but you can't mould them thin enough.....like the tool racks, exhaust brackets, jack bracket, spare track brackets etc. This one is a 2002 production,  can't imagine the new 2020 one is vastly different. Maybe they tried here and there......I mean you can't mould the tubes with the locking pin hole on the tool racks as that would be a slide mould part. There's the usual tool clamps etc that can't be moulded as sharp either. I would say though that Dragon kits are one brand that can be built without PE as they attempt more detail than most........I'd have to get a 2020 Panther by Dragon to see.....but at £65+....it'll be some time.......:D

Where they need to improve though is the weld seams and detail that is welded on.......

I'll take some better pics for you this week of the smoke dischargers. These are the layout on the final approved Panther D just prior to Kursk as seen on the factory test unit. They had to improvise as the lifting lugs got in the way. You'd have to check up on final production specs to see if they changed after.

Regards

Simon.

You are absolutely right about that. The scale appearance is better in PE. Speaking of which, I just read that you were using the ET Models PE Kit here. That looks quite low prized. How would you rate the quality in comparison to the ABER and Voyager sets? I only know the latter two from 1/16 th scale sets, didnt bothr with the 1/35th scale PE sets yet. But ABER seems to be the market leader to me. What about ET?

And wre you using a handle making tool on this one? They look really well made.

Edited by Soeren
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, Soeren said:

You are absolutely right about that. The scale appearance is better in PE. Speaking of which, I just read that you were using the ET Models PE Kit here. That looks quite low prized. How would you rate the quality in comparison to the ABER and Voyager sets? I only know the latter two from 1/16 th scale sets, didnt bothr with the 1/35th scale PE sets yet. But ABER seems to be the market leader to me. What about ET?

And wre you using a handle making tool on this one? They look really well made.

Hi Soeren.....

I would rate ET PE as equal to Voyager and Aber, easily...........Eduard for me to date, have been over complicated in some sets I've done and I only use them if I have to....and as you say, ET is very reasonably priced in comparison. I'd certainly get ET again.

The Kursk specific Voyager set was OK....the cast engine parts on the rear deck were not a good fit at all, and I didn't use them in the end. The specific tool box for Kursk was to be honest, impossible to bend. I think who ever designed, it just didn't think about how it needs to be bent. A two part construction with seperate angled panels attaching to flange side walls..........and separate hinges would have been better.....5/10 for that one...:thumbsdown:

The side skirts are Aber, as I couldn't find the ET skirts which are a separate from the main set which has the brackets. The ET brackets are more accurate than the Aber from what I can see in my research, as they come with the receiving bracket that attaches to main hull. I'm keeping them for another Panther in the future.

The handles I just bend with my pliers mate.....I have a bending jig somewhere...must dig it out and make it easier for my self..:D

The one comment I have overall is all brands do it, ( I think :wonder: ).....they expect you to roll for example the gun cleaning tube nearly 80mm long.....as well as those tiny little 1.5mm tube sections on the tool racks. Trust me, you're better to get specific thin wall 1.5mm brass tube and drill the hole for the locking pins. The gun cleaning tube in scale is, if I remember is 6mm in diameter....a lot more easy than trying to roll flat brass pieces, even if heated to soften.

Hope this helps mate....:yes:

On 14/07/2020 at 16:06, Redcoat2966 said:

Thanks Krisjan......look forward to seeing that after your Stug build was so enjoyable to follow.......:yes:...is it a full interior Panther?

Simon.

Thank's Simon.

It's with a full interior. I'm having a few goodies to it as well such as aluminium barrel and etched sets etc. 

Hopefully could start it soon.

• Like 1

Thank you Simon for the detailed answer. I got the 1/16th scale ABER smoke dischargers yesterday. Wow. Those look great with the turned parts and canisters inside, which get decals and there are caps for the units as well.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Afternoon all.....just a quick update.......it's primed...:yahoo:

I've decided on a more "yellow" Dunkelgelb, starting with RAL8000 Green Brown primer by Vallejo.....rather than the greener MIG 4 tone modulation set.

gUBp6ZV.jpg

FkjiDLM.jpg

95SRHTu.jpg

Z2scG1U.jpg

Hopefully later this week I'll get started on final 4 colour modulation.

Cheers all

Regards

Simon.

• Like 11

6 hours ago, robw_uk said:

looks great in primer... always love to see you handiwork at the painting stage 

THANKS ROB......:yes:....here's where I got to after a rainy day....all main colour on and modulated. I used a personal modulation set from the main paint stock.

PRIMER - AV RAL 8000 Green Brown (Surface Primer)

LAYER 1 BASE - AV977/125 Desert yellow

LAYER 2 MID BASE - AV913/121 Yellow Ochre

LAYER 3 LIGHT BASE - AV916/009 Sand yellow

LAYER 4 BASE HIGHLIGHT  - AV917/008 Beige

LAYER 5 HIGHLIGHT  - MIG-094 Dunkelgelb Highlight

I still have to do highlight detail painting, and then on with markings prior to the filter wash's.

DgNyYry.jpg

WdJAFnI.jpg

bKveV6V.jpg

kM29xkS.jpg

• Like 11

27 minutes ago, Soeren said:

Nice. And you are right. The PE really shows the scale thickness. Nice Color Modulation too. Which brand paint was this again? You don’t plan any Camo on this one?

Hi Soeren....cheers mate :yes:....all the paints are Vallejo except the last colour which was a MIG one from their modulation set. Camo' is going to be some green here and there from the 7th Company 52nd Abteilung, 39th Panzer Regiment in July '43. I believe it was part of the 17th panzer Division.

iyck3UN.jpg

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Brandon The Tanker said:

This is looking amazing so far, i will follow this closely to see how it goes. I like how you have done the slight highlights on the base colour for the camo, it makes it pop out more.

Kind Regards

Brandon

15 hours ago, Jasper dog said:

Looking good, always interesting to see your paintwork come together.

Sure the green will compliment it nicely. 

Atb

Darryl 

Thanks Brandon/Darryl, appreciate you both taking a look. It's took some time to get this modulation technique in hand. I'm still playing with it on every new model to perfect my own style. My big battle now is actual colours. As I've mentioned, this is a more warmer "yellow" than the greenish one supplied by the MIG modulation set......so, I invested in the new revised edition of "Real Colors Of WWII" by AK. I'm going to stick to what I see in there. Have to say, if you don't have a copy, I well recommend it. It has confirmed to me that the Dunkelgelb of the Kursk period is greener than you think......so, in two minds whether to green it up a bit, or continue with the more golden yellow hue I was planning.....if anything, I might go with that as it will start to look monotone in the display cabinet.......:D

Thanks again chaps.....:yes:

Regards

Simon.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, edjbartos said:

I'm a bit late to the party on this one,  fantastic PE work , it's really made a difference. Your modulation is just beautiful. wow..

Ed

Cheers Ed.........:yes:. I agree, it does make the difference, and also researching any missing detail that the kit doesn't supply.....like the handles on the locking catch's on the front hatches for the driver and radio chappie......

16 hours ago, Kris B said:

Nice. 

Cheers Kris......:yes:

• 9 months later...

Evening all.......took a change of project and slipped back onto this Panther. It's been waiting for its camo' for some time, so I got on with it.  Here's the first base colour  (Vallejo German Camo' Bright Green 080) of the single colour green camo'. I have to do some lighter and darker shade to match the base Dunkelgelb modulation..then an overall softening dusting of Dunkelgelb base colour....hopefully sometime this week.

asho7I6.jpg

QNZIsvg.jpg

Uz5Olxg.jpg

ujvFgw1.jpg

xyvc6DI.jpg

0VIGjMK.jpg

• Like 6

• 8 months later...

Afternoon all......seems I haven't posted much on this one since May last year when the base camo' went on.......well I have jumped ahead somewhat to 90% near complete. Sorry about that, and not posting the intermediate stages to this point. Here's where it stands though.....the turret isn't yet finalised with it's weathering and dust layers, but the main chassis is nearly there other than its light dust layer which will be done with the turret to match.

. There are two figures in the works and should show up at some point in the future......

Kk2XGBP.jpg

R1JqW3l.jpg

evryGPM.jpg

hfkfMbz.jpg

OSp4FbE.jpg

BzHsOrr.jpg

jV6xt2C.jpg

iPWBpdR.jpg

J3Bzrsr.jpg

That's it for now chap's.....next I hope will be in the RFI section complete along with the Panther G with Flak.

Cheers all

Simon.

• Like 12

3 minutes ago, LeeM said:

Very nicely done. Great weathering. Where did you get the chain from that's on the track link stowage pins?

Cheers Lee....:yes:......the chain I got off AliExpress. It's the smallest I could find.....here's the link. 

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001667653601.html?spm=a2g0o.order_list.0.0.21ef1802mvpaqi

I got the 0.5mm, bought a few packs to last me some time.

Simon.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Hamden said:

Nice to see the great progress on this one, superb paint and finish

Stay safe            Roger

38 minutes ago, Bullbasket said:

Said it all on the other Panther. Same applies here. Nice work Simon, and thanks for that link to the chains.

John.

Cheers Roger……I’m practicing mud with pigments at present so this was one of my experiment’s. I like the technique, but intend to interstate with some mig/Ammo terrains materials next one. I have a Pzkfw III sitting in the cabinet so that’s next 🤨

Thanks John, and my pleasure mate. One tip if you pick some up, burn off the black paint it comes finished in. Leaves a surface perfect for paint……I used my small hand torch.

thanks again both for the 👍

regards

Simon

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Redcoat2966 said:

I used my small hand torch.

Ah, and that's another thing. I think that I probably asked once before (memory's getting worse), what kind of torch have you got?

John.

5 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

Ah, and that's another thing. I think that I probably asked once before (memory's getting worse), what kind of torch have you got?

John.

Hi John, I picked up something like this off Ebay......handy tool.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/165268634306?hash=item267ac73ac2:g:RgsAAOSwXHth1h8D

• Thanks 1