LOCKDOWN No4 - PANTHER D KURSK OFFENSIVE

3 hours ago, M3talpig said:

Very clean build.....it's models like this that seem a shame to paint, keep it up looks great.

Thanks M3.....same thought. At this rate of progress though, it’s going to be a good time before primer goes on😳

Thanks again 👍

• Like 1

Really nice work Simon, dont need to echo what has been said. Suffice to say, it looks so clean and tidy unpainted......

Can't remember if I've asked this before, apologies if I have, memory akin to a goldfish, but how do you assemble the photo etch boxes etc?

Solder or glue? 

Enjoy your gardening!

Cheers

Darryl 

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Jasper dog said:

Really nice work Simon, dont need to echo what has been said. Suffice to say, it looks so clean and tidy unpainted......

Can't remember if I've asked this before, apologies if I have, memory akin to a goldfish, but how do you assemble the photo etch boxes etc?

Solder or glue? 

Enjoy your gardening!

Cheers

Darryl 

Thanks Darry........as regards the assembly...all cryo . I keep saying I should get back to soldering......lazy I suppose 😁 

I use thin super glue for long joins as it runs along the join.......and gorilla super glue for everything else.....all applied with stretched spru applicators.

12 minutes ago, BlackMax12 said:

Looking good Simon, really good. Lots of photo etch to keep you entertained.

Should look great with some camo,  can't wait.

Lloyd

Me too Lloyd.......getting a little tired and want to start priming......might switch projects next week......trouble is they all have PE 😬

Thanks both for popping by......👍

Simon

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

Excellent work with the welds and the etch. Good job Simon..

John.

2 hours ago, Hamden said:

Nice clean PE work, takes the model to the next level!

Stay safe          Roger

Cheers guy's.....:yes:

I've decided to take a break for a bit and shift back to the Marder III M......the PE set I was waiting for came in so off for a change of scenery..

Catch you all later....

Regards

Redcoat Simon.

• Like 2

holy crap that PE is gorgeous... mine just gets super-glued, would love to try soldering but dont have the type of space I could do it in really (fumes etc I guess)

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, robw_uk said:

holy crap that PE is gorgeous... mine just gets super-glued, would love to try soldering but dont have the type of space I could do it in really (fumes etc I guess)

Thanks Rob, appreciate that. I'm yet to get back to soldering, all glued on this one too. All depends on how small a glue dot you can lay down. The stretch spru I use works just right. I want to get back into soldering....I think for me it's the best for long line connecting.

Thanks again for taking a look......:yes:

Simon.

Just now, robw_uk said:

I can't even stretch sprue!!!!!

Melt it over a candle......pull and there you go. All I do then is cut them as fine strands and put them in an exacting handle great for application of cryo.....when the tip gets blocked up cut a few mil off and a new tip awaits

1 minute ago, Redcoat2966 said:

Melt it over a candle......pull and there you go. All I do then is cut them as fine strands and put them in an exacting handle great for application of cryo.....when the tip gets blocked up cut a few mil off and a new tip awaits

have started to do a bit of candle work, but cack-handed bending does not make me a sprue-streching master 😉 will try some more

• 1 month later...

Morning all.......before I kick off todays outside chores I thought I'd post some work to date on this Panther at Kursk. I was waiting for 1.5mm thin wall brass tobe to come in to complete the tool racks and rear tow cable connection point.

Well here we go, nearly there....just tracks, track racks at the rear and some minor details here and there like the chain on the tools. I'm also considering scratch build a commanders hatch support I've seen on a Panther at Kursk. I spent most of the day yesterday on the side skirts which still need the locking brackets added.

OMDe13o.jpg

evA6mir.jpg

I've kept the battle damage to a minimum as they were in combat, but as we know they didn't perform well and spent a lot of time being fixed. Along with the missing side plates the front mud guards will be missing; bar the left one you see in the pics. The hatches will be open in the final along with the communication one on the side. I've spotted some figures that will go with it too.

y7gm21Y.jpg

n9vyIQQ.jpg

Hope you like and chat later maybe.

Cheers all....:yes:

Regards

Simon.

• Like 7

What Chris said...I looks good bare just with its bling!😁

By this stage I'd be desperate to get a coat of primer on to hide all the glue stains, streaks, fingers prints etc..

Atb

Darryl 

• Thanks 1

Very nice progress so far.

I'm having a Takom early Panther D in my stash waiting to be started as soon as I can finish my Stugs.

Certainly will check your build from the start when I'm there.

Kristjan

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, GerryW said:

Coming along very nicely. B)

Gerry

Thanks Gerry.......it's been on and off; but nearly there.

22 hours ago, Hamden said:

Nice work with the P.E. looking forward to seeing this in paint now

Roger

Same here Roger.....I always hate this stage as I get impatient and forget some minor detail........so doing my check list.....and then onto primer....thanks again.:yes:

14 hours ago, Kris B said:

Looks good with this jewellery. 

Cheers Chris......I love plenty of bling....:D

6 hours ago, Jasper dog said:

What Chris said...I looks good bare just with its bling!😁

By this stage I'd be desperate to get a coat of primer on to hide all the glue stains, streaks, fingers prints etc..

Atb

Darryl 

Thanks Darryl.....and yes, itching to get some primer on. It's surprising when you do a full detail build, how much is missing on a standard out of the box build.....hopefully when painted it'll be visible...:wonder:

5 hours ago, vaoinas said:

I'm having a Takom early Panther D in my stash waiting to be started as soon as I can finish my Stugs.

Kristjan

Thanks Krisjan......look forward to seeing that after your Stug build was so enjoyable to follow.......:yes:...is it a full interior Panther?

Thanks all

Regards

Simon.

• Like 1

It looks great, but to be fair isn’t this D an older kit? The recent ones have so much detail it is always a joy to build. What is missing most of the time though are some chains or cables. Speaking of cable, can you give us a closeup of your finished smoke discharger details, please? I just ordered the ABER kit for my next 1/16 th scale build. I would like to compare what you added here.

29 minutes ago, Soeren said:

It looks great, but to be fair isn’t this D an older kit? The recent ones have so much detail it is always a joy to build. What is missing most of the time though are some chains or cables. Speaking of cable, can you give us a closeup of your finished smoke discharger details, please? I just ordered the ABER kit for my next 1/16 th scale build. I would like to compare what you added here.

Thanks Soeren.......maybe they do, but you can't mould them thin enough.....like the tool racks, exhaust brackets, jack bracket, spare track brackets etc. This one is a 2002 production,  can't imagine the new 2020 one is vastly different. Maybe they tried here and there......I mean you can't mould the tubes with the locking pin hole on the tool racks as that would be a slide mould part. There's the usual tool clamps etc that can't be moulded as sharp either. I would say though that Dragon kits are one brand that can be built without PE as they attempt more detail than most........I'd have to get a 2020 Panther by Dragon to see.....but at £65+....it'll be some time.......:D

Where they need to improve though is the weld seams and detail that is welded on.......

I'll take some better pics for you this week of the smoke dischargers. These are the layout on the final approved Panther D just prior to Kursk as seen on the factory test unit. They had to improvise as the lifting lugs got in the way. You'd have to check up on final production specs to see if they changed after.

Regards

Simon.

9 hours ago, vaoinas said:

Kristjan

Similar here. I have just got Meng's Ausf D so will be checking in on this thread for tips and advice.

Looking great so far Redcoat and eagerly await further updates.👍

• Thanks 1