LOCKDOWN No4 - PANTHER D KURSK OFFENSIVE

Morning all....decided to kick off another project in this lockdown world at present.....the Panther D from the Kursk Offensive July '43. Picked this up off Ebay for £32. Came with RB's turned barrel, some part PE set and a set of Panther II skirts. Might get to use them one day day as they look similar to the Panther G type.

This Panther by Dragon is a very clean and simple kit. Nice clean crisp moulding.....but needs some help with some basic PE.....so three sets on the way.

umBAmeV.jpg

Three PE set's.......PEA071 for the tool box specific to some Panthers at Kursk. ET Model Panther D set and I still have to locate the side skirts with specific brackets.....

sOU1V3w.jpg

And finaly the tracks.....early set for this type of Panther...

jJnt14N.jpg

Hopefully, once the PE skirts arrive I can post some progress.....

see you all later and stay safe...:yes:

Regards

Simon

Edited by Redcoat2966
  • Like 10

• Redcoat2966 changed the title to LOCKDOWN No4 - PANTHER D KURSK OFFENSIVE

nice kit... Toyed up with a Panther for my next build but went back modern JGSDF + Eduard PE 😉 . As always, looking forward to you fetling even more

• Like 1

3 hours ago, robw_uk said:

nice kit... Toyed up with a Panther for my next build but went back modern JGSDF + Eduard PE 😉 . As always, looking forward to you fetling even more

Yeah, I thought so Rob, and for the price.......couldn’t say no really 🤓

I also got it as I was inspired by the full Talking version of the book on YouTube “Blood and Armour” about the Kursk battle....really great to listen too while modelling. 

Fingers crossed everything arrives soon😊

Simon

• Like 1

On 4/23/2020 at 6:09 PM, M3talpig said:

Looks like that should be fun Simon...what do you have in mind for the paint and markings.

Hi M3...yes, looking forward to nice simple build...I think after some research though,  I'm going for this final look.......very basic dark yellow with some green camo'.

A Panther from the 7th Company 52nd Abteilung, 39th Panzer Regiment in July '43. I believe it was part of the 17th panzer Division. 

iyck3UN.jpg

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Redcoat2966 said:

I'm going for this final look.......very basic dark yellow with some green camo'.

Yes that's an attractive scheme are you looking for decals or are you hand painting the markings.

That would look lovely on a diorama with a few figures....Panthers are so photogenic and really look good on a bit of scenery.

Will follow along on this if you have no objection.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, M3talpig said:

Yes that's an attractive scheme are you looking for decals or are you hand painting the markings.

That would look lovely on a diorama with a few figures....Panthers are so photogenic and really look good on a bit of scenery.

Will follow along on this if you have no objection.

HI M3.....I'm going to try and hand paint the number's as they are quite large.....as regards a diorama. In light of all this extra time on my hands with the lockdown, I might give a diorama a go. Nothing to extensive, just a section of the Steppe.....with a some grass etc. I have some cracking figures to go with it as you suggested M3.....

Some of the PE arrived today, so kicked off the build. Working on the turret first. With research, it's quite amazing how much you have to remove, or rework on this Dragon kit.

I'll post progress pics next time with all the additions and omissions....still have a couple more PE options to get this weekend...and a new barrel........turning out to be a long term detailed project....:coolio:

Cheers

Simon.

• Like 2

AFTERNOON ALL

Sunday update.......I ordered some additional PE yesterday and with this delay the main detail work can't be started. So in the interim I made a move on the turret and all the filling and weld line revisions required.

- The weld lines on top of the turret looked more flush with the top plate, so added a new one in as the Dragon one was set a little too deep.

B - For some reason Dragon had this little piece with the three heads of the bolts that held the communication hatch.....so filled it and will replace with separate ones.

C - The complete trunnion housing of the Panther and front plate was one cast piece. So had to fix the join showing on the side detail parts.

D - For the same reason. The trunnion housing and rear plate needed a softer join that the right angle of the kit as they were a one part casting.

Next step, open up the Mr Surfacer 500 and get the cast texture on the front plate and trunnion.

bhvo4qw.jpg

• Like 11

• 2 weeks later...

Afternoon all......hope we are all well on this sunny day. Managed some time here and there, whilst getting my outside chores done in the pleasant sunny day's. The turret was a bit of a slog......from the smoke launchers to the working hatch left and rear. All weld beads added if not present or improved. The only thing I have to add in are the chains on the smoke launchers, once I've located some in the stash.

vu2Z0YB.jpg

The side communication hatch was a drag. Dragon provides no hole for this and just a mock hatch cover in closed position. As the PE set came with the working bracket etc, I drilled and fitted. It seemed to me the gun port was slightly off, so moved that a tad.

wcboXqA.jpg

yhu7rnu.jpg

kfz8gbu.jpg

7xi01ht.jpg

Back at ya' later chaps.....:yes:

Simon.

• Like 12

2 hours ago, robw_uk said:

bloody hell thats good... really nice work

1 hour ago, mick said:

great work

Cheers chaps....bit of a slog, especially the opening hatches. Not sure why I bothered really as they’ll be fix permanent in the final....🤨 I suppose the challenge 😁

Thanks again👍

28 minutes ago, Jasper dog said:

Nice work on the turret, looks good even without paint! :goodjob:

11 minutes ago, viper-30 said:

German Armour is not really my thing I have to say but I do like the detail on this build .

Thanks for that.....I hope to get some primer on it this week. Working on the rear detail when I can this weekend. Just about to embark on a build of a storage bin in lead foil to get some dents etc.

Thanks again guy's...:yes:

Regards

Simon.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

...............but a worthwhile slog, because it's really coming on a treat (and I don't even like German armour:)).

John.

Hi John, cheers mate.

I’m bogged down now with a “piano hinge” I’m building for one of the rear stowage. The way PE sets have these little tabs your supposed to roll and then slide a pin through......they never work. So I’m building them with micro tube.......on my second design at the moment , should work this time..😬

........thanks for popping for look 👍....

.......regards

Simon

• Like 1

Afternoon everyone. Been some time since a posting of progress, but here we are. I'm ploughing through the PE set's I got for this Kursk specific Panther.

aH6VCsU.jpg

Decided in the end to use the kit parts for the metal covers over the front vision periscopes. Had to thin them down by 50% to meet the spec from what I saw in photo's. Not sure why Dragon moulded them so thick, it's not like they don't have the ability to not.....anyway.....

8yz904Y.jpg

I'm still working on putting a wire ring around the mesh covers on the rear deck.......and just noticed I cut the tubes too long on the near tool rack. Need to pop them off and take a couple of mil off.

vZ16gFn.jpg

The Kursk specific tool box was a tough one to get together......but makes a different looking Panther...glad I got it though. Made a scan of the PE fret so I can make another if need be in the future in plasticard.

6anTxDr.jpg

From the rear....one storage box done with working top hatch. I scanned the fret also for the right hands side bin which I am starting next in lead foil to be "bashed" up a little. I'll use a print out as a guide to cut the piece.

7rUEPsS.jpg

0agEO3i.jpg

Well....off to do something different...some chores in the garden...hope you like and no problem with any suggestions or tips............chat later...:yes:

Regards

Redcoat Simon.

• Like 13