RNZAF Corsair, Guadalcanal, 1945

Here is this week's build...this one took four days total, mostly afternoons and a little evening time.  

Tamiya 1/48 F4U-1A in RNZAF markings from Eagle Strike, Guadalcanal May 1945.  I went a tad heavier than usual on the weathering and tried a few new techniques since the pics I found of this and other RNZAF aircraft around the same time showed them fairly dirty and hard-worked.  

Fun build.  

s8ecG44l.jpg

sZTHOPFl.jpg

92gyqapl.jpg

Edited by aeroplanedriver
  • Like 36
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, LDSModeller said:

Quick Question, is your Model an RNZAF F4U-1A or F4U-1D?

NZ5248 was a F4U-1A

Thanks

Alan

Sorry yes, it is at the -1A with the extra canopy framing and I even filled the step on the right flap.  

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Bangor Lad said:

Just need to pick the most appropriate F4U kit.

Tamiya all the way! You can choose from an F4U-1 birdcage, F4U-1A, and F4U-1D. They are all outstanding kits- accurate and fit perfectly- only downside being they don't have separate  flaps like their 1/48 big brothers, but there are two resin aftermarket sources for those.

Mike

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Aces High said:

Four days?!? That's incredible! What paints are you using? My humbrol enamels seem to be needing a day to go off between coats at the moment...

I use Vallejo and Hataka acrylics.  On this build the blues are Hataka and the White is Vallejo.  

Outstanding. Glad you went all in on the paint effects, the faded and worn look is spot on. 

By the way, 'this week's build'...? 😮 Takes me longer just to shake the paint bottles! 

Great work, well done

• Like 1