Hello everyone... well I cant just stop at two so I just ordered two more Eduard over-tree’s sets. Both are Mk.VIII’s, the first will be from the CBI Theater, and will be Group Captain Robert Boyd 239 wing 1944. 

a9vxxAM.jpg
I will add the sprue shots when they arrive. Please feel free to ask questions, post comments, and or add thoughts. 

Dennis

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 5

Good morning Dennis

It looks like that you are planning to use Carpena decals be careful because they have a reputation for being difficult to use I fear that you are going to use a fair amount of  decal products ..

Best regards

Patrice

• Thanks 1

Hello everyone... Ok the kit showed up early today. A post office delivery on a Sunday is unheard of. Obligatory Sprue shots. DmJvL0m.jpg

xoIUvGX.jpg

I should get a start on these two in the next day or so. Please feel free to ask questions, post comments, and or thoughts. 

Dennis

• Like 1

Hello everybody... Well I finally got to start on this today. I spent three hours painting the internal bits. 1yuAAow.jpg
I still need to finish the IP but 2:00 am and I’ve been up for 20 hrs already. 

2FzCrqF.jpg

ZT62Tjg.jpg

I will go ahead and start to build the cockpit tomorrow. Please feel free to ask questions, post comments and or thoughts. 

Dennis

• Like 2

Evening everyone... I do so like these kits when they fall together. I was able to finish off the cockpits and assembled the fuselage today. Wanted to do more but my back cant hold out that much. 
2SrEyb9.jpg
I copied a trick from @trickyrich’s build i used little bits of plastic strip under the cowling and carburetor intake. I normally do that with builds that dont have joining pins or tabs, but never thought to do it on my Mk.IX build. 

iFGi60U.jpg
I added the tape belts as well today. 
0hkvSQy.jpg

Please feel free to ask questions, post comments, and or thoughts. 

Dennis

• Like 3

Just now, Cookenbacher said:

Nice work Dennis! Aren't overtrees the best?

Definitely cant be beaten for $11.00 I'm planning on three more sets another VIII for a HF extended wing. A Mk.IXc early from D-day and an Mk.IXe for another build. I cant wait to see eduard early marks. Now we just need the Griffon engined ones and were all good. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, ejboyd5 said:

What is an "overtree?"

Eduard and I think Special hobby make the sprues available as kits. 

https://www.eduard.com/eduard/spitfire-mk-ixc-late-version-overtrees-1-72.html?cur=2

They are essentially complete kits minus decals, photo-etch, and instructions of the weekend or profipack kits. They are a great value if you have aftermarket decals and don't need the photo-etch. The instruction are downloadable pdf’s from eduard or scale-mates among others web sites. 

Dennis

14 minutes ago, ejboyd5 said:

What is an "overtree?"

Plastic parts of the kit only.   generic box,  no instructions.

Sold direct by Eduard usually, though available from somewhere online in the US. (as is @Corsairfoxfouruncle  ) 

Overtrees are cheap,  but postage from Eduard to UK is last time I looked, prohibitive, so if you want the basic plastic , a weekend edition is usually the cheaper option in the UK. 

On 22/04/2020 at 22:58, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Hello everyone... well I cant just stop at two so I just ordered two more Eduard over-tree’s sets. Both are Mk.VIII’s, the first will be from the CBI Theater. The first will be Group Captain Robert Boyd 239 wing 1944. 

a9vxxAM.jpg
I will add the sprue shots when they arrive. Please feel free to ask questions, post comments, and or add thoughts. 

Dennis

I really doubt the yellow leading edges. I was dubious that the codes are "FB"  as  Wing Commanders an up in rank had the privilege of using their initials, but searching has shown him to be Robert Finlay Boyd,  so FB makes sense.

I suspect they copied this, as searching has not turned up an image.  

Spitfire-LFVIII-RAF-239FW-FB-Robert-Boyd

Note white wing and tailplane stripes.

I'm going to stick a @tonyot  in here as he's rather good on SEAC types. 

HTH

6 minutes ago, Troy Smith said:

I really doubt the yellow leading edges. I was dubious that the codes are "FB"  as  Wing Commanders an up in rank had the privilege of using their initials, but searching has shown him to be Robert Finlay Boyd,  so FB makes sense.

I suspect they copied this, as searching has not turned up an image.  

Spitfire-LFVIII-RAF-239FW-FB-Robert-Boyd

Note white wing and tailplane stripes.

I'm going to stick a @tonyot  in here as he's rather good on SEAC types. 

HTH

My big concern is actually the white panels on the wings and tail ? I thought I read recently that SEAC stripes were light blue ? If Im wrong thats good i can go either way as i have the paints. 

51 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

My big concern is actually the white panels on the wings and tail ? I thought I read recently that SEAC stripes were light blue ? If Im wrong thats good i can go either way as i have the paints. 

initially white, found to be a bit too visible, and then the dulled down  "india white"  5 parts white to 1 part roundel blue, 

(which is what the roundel centres should be,  more often shown as some near turquoise shade.)

Not sure of the dates...

and, not finding any answers.  @Graham Boak  is likely to know.

To see SEAC blue in colour, this has been posted before,  but film of RAF Thunderbolts

https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/1060025281

Much detail can be gleaned from this.  Note the international pilots, at 4.32 a USA shoulder titles, a previous post said the chap at 4.58 was South African, 6.12 Rhodesia. 

A slight digression, but well worth a watch.

• Thanks 3

Morning everybody... 03:45 here and Im still awake after a 5 hour session tonight. I was able to get the wings built up on both Mk.VIII’s. Then mounted to the respective fuselages.  
9RWQpqM.jpg

Kfitm8b.jpg

7Ed7qyo.jpg
A formation shot of all my spitfire builds. 

kki47Vs.jpg

Dennis

• Like 7

Hello everyone... I was able to get the Radiators, and some other little pieces in today. VXmI4dA.jpg

muQ4MoV.jpg

I forgot to drill the holes for these little bumps before the fuselage was closed up. Good thing you can kind of just make them out and I was able to add the little starter bump ? 

gzKVTT0.jpg

Fuel cap, radio mast mount, and bar between seat frame and next frame are now also added. Questions, comments, and or thoughts ? 

Dennis

Edit: Sanding, filling, and polishing will now commence.

• Like 4

Hello Everybody... I was able to finish all the sanding and polishing on both of these today. Still need to re-scribe as I wanted to wait until I added the tail empennage.   eCuzall.jpg

hBeLxWs.jpg

vpidPZS.jpg

Dennis

• Like 6

Findlay Boyd, he didn't generally go by Robert,  was one of the group of pre-War Scottish RAFVR pilots with 602 and 603 Squadrons who fought for and secured the airspace over Scotland in the period the rest of the country called the "Phony War".

Following the Battle of Britain he was posted as an instructor to 58 Operational Training Unit at RAF Grangemouth - exactly where I'm sitting writing this post and in fact I can see the surviving pre-war hangars though the window.

49853507583_bcc977671b_z.jpgRFB by John Walker, on Flickr

He later commanded the Kenley Wing before being sent to the Far East in 1942.

After the War he became a publican on the Isle of Skye.

John

• Thanks 3

Hello everyone... I finally started the paint on the two Mk.VIII’s. Medium sea grey for this,

ToppfWc.jpg

and RAAF Sky blue for the Gibbes build. Next up is the Dk.Earth then green. Please feel free to ask questions, post comments, and add thoughts. 

Dennis

• Like 4