1/72 Matchbox Heyford

Clifton

For what it's worth I mixed approximately 50:50 Humbrol 90 and 88 for my attempt at NIVO (build linked in my signature), as I don't do enamels and the Xtracolour NIVO is not available as an acrylic.

The issue with this is that Humbrol 88 (a rich bluish green) appears to have sunk without trace so you may find it hard to get any in the UK, let alone Texas!

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/29/2020 at 7:42 PM, Vulcanicity said:

For what it's worth I mixed approximately 50:50 Humbrol 90 and 88 for my attempt at NIVO (build linked in my signature), as I don't do enamels and the Xtracolour NIVO is not available as an acrylic.

The issue with this is that Humbrol 88 (a rich bluish green) appears to have sunk without trace so you may find it hard to get any in the UK, let alone Texas!

Are you sure that it was Humbrol  90? It is light colour. Perhaps it was the 91 mixed with 88? 

Regards

J-W

3 hours ago, JWM said:

Are you sure that it was Humbrol  90? It is light colour. Perhaps it was the 91 mixed with 88? 

Regards

J-W

Yes you are of course right, I meant 91! Well spotted :)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Does anyone know where I can find a wiring diagram for the Heyford’s rigging?  I bought the old profile of the Heyford (Number 182) but the photos are fairly grainy, and I’m not sure where all of the wiring ends up.  Thanks!

As promised! These are from the Heyford III AP dated 1935 or 1966, which I photographed in the National Archives at Kew. I've included several of the photographic diagrams as the rigging diagram on its own is hard to follow. Note that:

• Wires E and F cross over - in the relatively small numbers of Heyford builds I've seen where someone has tackled the centre section rigging at all, I don't think anyone has ever spotted this! The clue is the half dotted lines in the rigging diagram, but it can be seen with care in my fifth and last photo.
  • Wires O and N are not actually quite at the centreline despite the rigging diagram - Viewed from the side the two pairs of V-shaped struts between the fuselage and the lower wing form two rectangular "bays" which converge at the centreline on top of the lower wing -  O and N form cross bracing which is repeated on each side.
  • There is an odd tube or slender strut running parallel and adjacent to Wire O on the port side only, which is braced to the upper surface of the lower wing by two little "legs"  (appears in the fourth photo as a dark and slightly thicker line than the bracing wires). My personal theory (based on the position of cockpit equipment), is that it's a tube containing the trailing wireless aerial which passes from the cockpit all the way through the lower wing and exits behind the bomb bay. This would ensure the aerial runs out cleanly below the lower wing and doesn't get tangled up in the centre section.
  • There are actually two cables linking the upper and lower aileron, the forward one is obscured by the strut in the second photo.

DSCF7161

DSCF7162

DSCF7168

DSCF7195

DSCF7203

I was going to do a Heyford reference thread with all this stuff in - one day!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 6

16 minutes ago, Vulcanicity said:

As promised! These are from the Heyford III AP dated 1935 or 1966, which I photographed in the National Archives at Kew. I've included several of the photographic diagrams as the rigging diagram on its own is hard to follow. Note that:

• Wires E and F cross over - in the relatively small numbers of Heyford builds I've seen where someone has tackled the centre section rigging at all, I don't think anyone has ever spotted this! The clue is the half dotted lines in the rigging diagram, but it can be seen with care in my fifth and last photo.
  • Wires O and N are not actually quite at the centreline despite the rigging diagram - Viewed from the side the two pairs of V-shaped struts between the fuselage and the lower wing form two rectangular "bays" which converge at the centreline on top of the lower wing -  O and N form cross bracing which is repeated on each side.
  • There is an odd tube or slender strut running parallel and adjacent to Wire O on the port side only, which is braced to the upper surface of the lower wing by two little "legs"  (appears in the fourth photo as a dark and slightly thicker line than the bracing wires). My personal theory (based on the position of cockpit equipment), is that it's a tube containing the trailing wireless aerial which passes from the cockpit all the way through the lower wing and exits behind the bomb bay. This would ensure the aerial runs out cleanly below the lower wing and doesn't get tangled up in the centre section.
  • There are actually two cables linking the upper and lower aileron, the forward one is obscured by the strut in the second photo.

DSCF7161

DSCF7162

DSCF7168

DSCF7195

DSCF7203

Wow, I can't thank you enough!  This will certainly make things easier!  I really appreciate all of the effort you've gone through.

24 minutes ago, Vulcanicity said:

Please do... I've had mine stashed since I was 12 years of age (ahem....  that's 38 years ago!). 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/15/2020 at 12:57 AM, Vulcanicity said:

DSCF7168

Are the two cables extending from the top of the middle strut fuel cables or something else (and probably going into the engine)?

Edited by Shalako