1/72 Matchbox Heyford

Clifton

Hello, everyone!  I've got a bit of a conundrum and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions.  I recently bought an old 1/72 Matchbox Handly Page Heyford kit off of Fleabay.  The kit itself is in good condition, and it looks like all the parts are there.  The main problem, as you might guess, is with the decals.  They look like what I would have called potato crisps when I lived in England.  I looked for an aftermarket set, but haven't had any luck.  Then I thought I would try to buy the Revell rebox, use the decals in there, and build two kits.  Well, these seem to be even more rare than the decals!  Plenty of Matchbox kits pop up on an internet search, but I haven't been able to find any Revell kits.  

Any suggestions?  My next plan would be to buy generic decals of roundels and code letters, but I'm not too sure which ones to look for.  Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Suggestions;

1. search ebay, there are some folk who sell decal sheets from old kits. I've got myself some that way.

2. presuming they are really too far gone, use generic numbers, letters and roundels. afair the Heyford was in NIVO with 'night' roundels, aka the Type B, just blue and red. You can find all these at Hannants, who do over-seas mail order. The only diffs are the stripes on the wheel spats. The main colour is best painted anyways and the thin outline stripe can be a decal stripe.

Heres a link to some roundels at Hannants. Just an example; https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/AKA02?result-token=dUxbw

• Like 1

Clifton,

First off- welcome to Britmodeller! Secondly- measure the height of the codes and serials that are on the Matchbox decal sheet with a 1/72 scale rule, or measure in millimeters. This will give you the sizes to look for on aftermarket code, serial, and roundel sheets. Since the roundels were type B, with just two colors, you could make masks for them with a circle cutter. You could even use  a copy of the kit decal sheet to make your own masks for the codes and the underwing serials, since they are pretty large. You can make masks from two-inch painters masking tape.

Mike

Thanks for the welcome and the info, Mike!  Those are all excellent suggestions that I hadn't really thought about yet.  From one Texan to another--I live in Houston, and it looks like you're from San Antone.  My wife went to Trinity, so we love visiting the Alamo City!

Edited by Clifton
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Clifton said:

Thanks for the welcome and the info, Mike!  Those are all excellent suggestions that I hadn't really thought about yet.  From one Texan to another--I live in Houston, and it looks like you're from San Antone.  My wife went to Trinity, so we love visiting the Alamo City!

My alma mater! All three of my degrees are from Trinity! With all the tuition and room and board  paid, they should have named a dorm after me! I just remembered I have two Heyford kits- have to check the decal sheets. It's a very handsome  and BIG biplane, and is actually a pretty nice kit, as are all of the Matchbox biplane kits,

Mike

• Like 2

@JWM  wow, that would be fantastic!  I had another look at the set I have, and I just don't think I'll be able to make them work.  

@king of men--thanks for the heads-up.  I'll have a look at their site to see what I can find.

I must say, this is a wonderful forum!  Thanks for all of the help, everyone!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Clifton said:

Clifton,

Britmodeller is (IMHO) the best site on the interwebbythingy for modelling in general.  As you've already discovered, the folk here are friendly, helpful and incredibly knowledgeable...and not just about Brit stuff.  A question was asked on the WW2 Aircraft Forum about the Breda Ba65 and almost immediately a kind soul provided exactly what was needed.  

BTW, I'm a Brit but my eldest son is a Texan.  He was born in San Angelo.  He gets some really funny looks when he claims his Texan heritage! :)

Cheers,
Mark

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Clifton said:

M  wow, that would be fantastic!  I had another look at the set I have, and I just don't think I'll be able to make them work.  

@king of men--thanks for the heads-up.  I'll have a look at their site to see what I can find.

PM me your postal addres :)

Regards

J-W

5 hours ago, JWM said:

wow, that would be fantastic!

49813523018_31f86bf083_o.jpg

The Revell one (left)  has sharpen colours. Matchbox is a bit faded (right).  Which one you prefer? I will do the yellow TT Heyford from WW2 times, so I can send you any of them. I will use only "B" roundles for top of wings...

I received your address

Regards

J-W

On 4/23/2020 at 6:20 PM, Clifton said:

@modelldoc--that turned out great!  Nice model!  Do you remember what color you ended up using for the NIVO finish?

There's a build in the Work in Progress section at the moment making one of these Heyfords. He used Humbrol 224 which is Dark Slate Grey. Dark Slate Grey is not a grey but a dark dull green used by the Fleet Air Arm and Coastal Command during WW2 and a little after. You may able to get some or another makers. Good luck with your build. 

On 4/25/2020 at 4:32 AM, 825 said:

There's a build in the Work in Progress section at the moment making one of these Heyfords. He used Humbrol 224 which is Dark Slate Grey. Dark Slate Grey is not a grey but a dark dull green used by the Fleet Air Arm and Coastal Command during WW2 and a little after. You may able to get some or another makers. Good luck with your build. 

Thanks for the info, @825!  I was eventually able to look at the IMPS Stockholm website and found a match with NIVO and a color used by the USAF on B-52 bombers.  Testors makes the shade, which they call Dark Drab, and the irony is I already have a bottle of it!  It's probably not an exact match--because IPMS is matching them by FS numbers--but hopefully it'll be close enough.  I'll have to try painting a section of the model when I build it, to see how it looks.

Clifton

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

@JWM—Hi, I just got the decals you very kindly sent, and they look like they’re in great shape!  I just wanted to thank you again for your generous help.  I was able to find an old Profile book about the Heyford, which I hope will help me to rig all of the wires correctly.  It should be interesting, to say the least!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Clifton said:

@JWM—Hi, I just got the decals you very kindly sent, and they look like they’re in great shape!  I just wanted to thank you again for your generous help.  I was able to find an old Profile book about the Heyford, which I hope will help me to rig all of the wires correctly.  It should be interesting, to say the least!

You welcome! I am happy to hear that you've got it. So it took 2 months to make distance from Krakow to Texas in a middle of Covid pandemy  time :) . Interesting experiment....

regards

J-W

Edited by JWM

1 minute ago, JWM said:

You welcome! I am happy to hear that you've got it. So it took 2 months to make distance from Krakow to Texas in a middle of Covid pandemy  time :) . Interesting experiment....

regards

J-W

Yes, maybe they attached it to a carrier pigeon! 😀

• Haha 1