Tornado GR4 detail questions

cathasatail

Hi everyone!

I've been working on a Tornado GR4 kit (1:72 Revell) for a project (link here).

I'm basing it upon a 41sqn GR4, ZA560 in particular, and I came across some rather odd details in the reference photos that I took from a few years ago. I was wondering if anyone could be of help in identifying what the following details are:

DSC-0244-2-LI.jpg

DSC-0253-3-LI.jpg

Would anyone happen to have any close-up pictures of "it"? (It looks like an aerial of some sorts, but I've now idea what it's for).

And, additionally, would anyone happen to have any more images of this door/panel near the intake?

DSC-0239-2-LI.jpg

Many thanks,

Sam

Sam

The antenna in your first two pictures was added to the aircraft as one of the modifications implemented prior to the type's deployment to Afghanistan, I can't lay hands on its designation at the moment but I think it was part of the kit used to "talk" to JTAC Forward Air Controllers.  You will find some more pictures of it here in the Walkaround Section.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The antenna in your first two pictures started to appear during Op Herrick. It's a dedicated secure comm antenna for speaking to FAC or SF assets.

The open vent in the third pic is related to systems cooling and is only open on the ground when the engines are running. There's another one on the other side of the forward fuselage just beneath the gun port:

spacer.png

• Thanks 1

While we're here, check the aircraft you're modelling for the upgrade discussed in this thread, it seems to be missed by modellers more often than not. 

• Thanks 1

Only open on the ground when the engines are running

You have to open it when you turn the battery on (part of the blackbox cooling system) or apply external power if not after a short period of time a warning horn sounds.

Edited by tweeky

3 hours ago, tweeky said:

You have to open it when you turn the battery one (part of the blackbox cooling system) or apply external power if not after a short period of time a warning horn sounds.

You can have the ground battery on with out them open as nothing really motors up till you apply ground power. In the cockpit on a servicing the ECS switch would be left on auto so when power was a applied these would open automatically.

Also the aerial is the CAGNET aerial, who ever put it there really didnt think of ground crew much, stabbed myself many times on it

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Motley said:

Also the aerial is the CAGNET aerial, who ever put it there really didnt think of ground crew much, stabbed myself many times on it

A bit like most designers, always putting something in a place where it  gets in the way of groundcrew.

• Haha 2