KM Scharnhorst

Here some pic`s of my KM Scharnhorst 1/400 scale build 16 years ago.

All comments welcome as usual, especially if you can suggest something I can do better! 

Some missing details scratchbuild added, and the rear turret C corrected. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

The c turret correction

I noticed this flaw too late, and after a few days headache I found a solution:

spacer.pngspacer.png

Cut out a square piece of the deck and then put it back in place rotated by 180 degrees :worthy:

it worked quite well, almost invisible!

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png                         spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Hope you like it!

Cheers

Andreas

Edited by Andreas.R
missing pic
  • Like 17
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Courageous said:

I'm know nothing about German ships but she looks great to me. We modellers are our own critics, we know what needs improving. I like the base, what is it?

Stuart

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235027957-waves/&do=findComment&comment=3583717

Here a earlier Post from me regarding the base . It is simple and easy!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bismarck builder said:

hi

as others have said great build and i too would like more info on the base the only thing i can find out of place is the fore top should be square 

otherwise outstanding sir

cheers

gary r

I display my waterline ships at calm sea, 

the model is focused at the details 

easy way to do

Here in Germany you can find a sort of glass called Kathedral, (Cathedral in UK) it is used for doors to reduce visibility,

and it has a wavy pattern.

You cut it to the needed size, spray the bottom with a blueish green, glue the model on with  white glue (when dried it should turn transparent)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Really nice build and like Jeff, Scharnhorst has always been my favourite Kreigsmarine ship.  Her lines just look right.

Perhaps though i am being dull but from the photos i cannot see what you have changed on that after turret?

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

Really nice build and like Jeff, Scharnhorst has always been my favourite Kreigsmarine ship.  Her lines just look right.

Perhaps though i am being dull but from the photos i cannot see what you have changed on that after turret?

It is also my favourite KM Ship, as a schoolboy i build the Airfix Scharnhorst and the HMS Hood, i really loved them! I still like HMS HOOD - but in the early stage like the Airfix one. 

The C turret is originally molded too far  at the aft ( 1cm) - the major flaw of the Heller Scharnhorst kit!  So I have to move the barbette cutting out the rectangle with the molded on turret base and turn it 180 degrees to get the right position. If you cut off only the barbette, then it would be visible at the planking of the deck!

That´s why you did not see it, it is only the position.

spacer.png

The original position of C turret 

Edited by Andreas.R
  • Thanks 1

Ah, I couldn't see the problem either. And a brilliant solution to it also, I might add.

That's a clever way of doing a calm sea. In the Brest roadstead, before the Channel Dash maybe? Again, a very good model. Regards, Jeff.

• Like 1