Harvard/Texan, predecessors/derivatives STGB chat

Wez

1 hour ago, Pete F said:

For info the Special Hobby Harvard is now in stock at Hannants. Hopefully mine will arrive soon and I can get to grips with this group build.

Looking forward to getting mine, hopefully it'll give me the KUTA I need!

• Like 1

Same here! I've been waiting on the Special Hobby kits to arrive, and I now have five en route. Finally, I might be able to throw a kit or two into the GB.

Hi Guys.

A question for you aircraft experts, about colour.

0ZKmEIr.jpg

The Red, White and Blue scheme has a colour call out of Dark Blue (FS 25095), but cant seem to find a match for it anywhere.

Where would be a good place to look for the info needed?

Going to try a Local shop today, and take the decals with me, to try finding a approximation

cheers

Paul

There's a small colour photo of the aircraft in Hagedorn's Texans and Harvards in Latin America, the blue is darker than Hu14, I'd say its somewhere between Hu25 and Hu104. I suspect, it's the same shade as used in the Brazilian national markings.

Hi Steve / Wez.

I thought the same about the insignia blue colour, but I think its slightly lighter.

went to Model shop and think I may have found a contender.

vvtEVrN.jpg

Its Ammo-mig Marine Blue. (A.MIG-123) Just put a dot of it on the Transfer bag, I'll see what it looks like when dry.

Cheers

Paul

PS. now where do I hide the 1/48 ZM horton, which was talking to me, and needed a new home 😂

• Like 1

Hello

Is it too late to enter the Group Build?

I have an Academy 1/72 kit and some funky French decals.

Possibly a war in Algeria subject

All the best

TonyT

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, TonyTiger66 said:

All the best

TonyT

Hi Tony,

I am very glad to see you back again on forum :)

Surely it is not too late. I have just bought new SH 1/72 rebox of Academy (with longer canopies) and I am considering making NA 50 in Peruvian colors

NORTHAMERICAN-NA-50(PERU).jpg 

http://img.wp.scn.ru/camms/ar/1459/pics/42_1.jpg

The NA 50 and NA 68 were sisters of Boomerang in a concept of doing simple fighter out of Harvard. I hope they are counts here...

Regards

J-W

24 minutes ago, JWM said:

Surely it is not too late. I have just bought new SH 1/72 rebox of Academy (with longer canopies) and I am considering making NA 50 in Peruvian colors

Hello J-W

Thank you; it’s good to be back :) 

The NA50 looks superb; I never knew that it existed.

It will look great in Peruvian colours.

I’m not sure, but maybe the Peruvians used the Curtiss P-36 too? 

The NA 50 really looks like the Boomerang from this end of the globe.

Can’t wait to see your build. I will dig out my Academy kit and the decals. If it’s not too late, I will make a bit of a start tomorrow.

All the beat

Great to be back, thank you for the kind words,

Tony

• Like 1

On 7/22/2020 at 10:28 AM, theplasticsurgeon said:

I've now been promised another Academy Texan . . .

I bought an Academy Texan at Avon show in 2019 - but opening the box I found this sheet for Aztek Texans.

Turns out it was Heller  -  but I've just started a build thread

Heller-Texan.jpg

Apologies once again all, work and family commitments have kept me away.

There's some great build threads going on in this GB, thanks everyone for showing the Texan/Harvard family some love!

@Wez is there any possibility to get some small GB extension from @Enzo Matrix?

Yes, there is almost 3 weeks till the official end of GB, but I have a feeling that I might also miss a deadline for some period of time - this Boomerang of mine will need some attention for curing of painted work, but also for tiny details like antennas wiring and so... If it's possible I'd be very grateful, and hopefully there are some other mates here that would be glad to get some more bonus time to finish their builds.

Regards and thanks in advance,

Srđan

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, srkirad said:

@Wez is there any possibility to get some small GB extension from @Enzo Matrix?

Yes, there is almost 3 weeks till the official end of GB, but I have a feeling that I might also miss a deadline for some period of time - this Boomerang of mine will need some attention for curing of painted work, but also for tiny details like antennas wiring and so... If it's possible I'd be very grateful, and hopefully there are some other mates here that would be glad to get some more bonus time to finish their builds.

Regards and thanks in advance,

Srđan

Srđan,

I'll ask him at the appropriate time although I won't be asking for any more than a week as it will run into the French Fancy 2 GB.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Rejoice!  Rejoice!

:yahoo:

@Enzo Matrix or as I like to call him, Enzo the Benevolent Dictator, has granted a one week extension to this STGB - go and make good use of it people!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Less than a week to go good people, sadly not enough time for either of my models as life has got in the way, but good luck to the rest of you!

• Sad 1

Thanks to the organisers! that was a fun GB... I think we only just scratched the surface of the possible variants. I'm interested that nobody went for the biplane Texan crop duster!!

18 hours ago, exdraken said:

Was great fun, although a bit quiet in the end...

Football was not a worthy reason though... ;)

I'm glad you enjoyed it.

14 hours ago, Derek_B said:

Thanks to the organisers! that was a fun GB... I think we only just scratched the surface of the possible variants. I'm interested that nobody went for the biplane Texan crop duster!!

You're welcome and I agree, we have really only just scratched the surface, I put that down to the lack of kits sadly.  Still, I'm pleased that in addition to Texan's and Harvards, we had Boomerangs, Wirraways and an NA-50 in the gallery which is pleasing.

A big thank you to all who took part and another big thank you to my fellow co-hosts @John Masters@RidgeRunner

Right I'm going off to investigate how to set up a poll.

• Like 1

Yes, huge thanks to the organisers and moderators - great fun for the builders.

Very late start for me, as I only acquired my kit half-way through the build period.

There are still more to do.

I'd like to find another at IPMS Avon show next month, to build as a US Navy SNJ - then find an appropriate GB to share it with you.

• Thanks 1