Harvard/Texan, predecessors/derivatives STGB chat

Wez

49 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

RidgeRunner found some for me,

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/croco-models-cmda7207-t-6-texan-armament--1219877

Im just trying to figure out where I can get the $ from. If not Ive found a good photo and sketch of the mounts. I think I can use 1/48 tiny tim 2.75 inch rockets as they might be the closest size wise in my parts pile. 

I've heard of that range but I've never seen them.  Scratching might be the best way.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, gingerbob said:

And now I've got the Clash's "Spanish Bombs" in my head...

Never a bad thing.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Anything form The Clash

The only band that matters!

• Like 1

On 08/04/2021 at 11:01, zegeye said:

Anybody knows if SNJ-4 had a rear gun? Did Marines use such a gun in their SNJ?

Sorry Zegeye, it's taken me a while to get around to answering this query. 

The Squadron Signal book equates the SNJ-4 to an AT-6C and it does have a picture of an AT-6C being used as a gunnery trainer with a machine gunner in the back, but that's a USAAF AT-6C not a US Marines SNJ-4.

So I googled US Marine SNJ-4 and it turned up this website about an SNJ-4 which has been painstakingly restored to resemble the SNJs used by MAG11 on Espiritu Santo for artillery spotting, so I'm going to say it's a qualified yes to your question.  You just need to find some photos for your subject.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, zegeye said:

Thanks  Wez.  Thinking about joining  the group.... but it is possible in May maybe....

You'd be very welcome.

Two weeks in and 15 build threads, plenty of room for more to join us.

18 hours ago, alt-92 said:

This is very good news, hopefully my chosen purveyor will have them soon and I can start my second build...

What many of you don't know is that for about 25 years I was in the food business...worked my way from lowly teenage dishwasher (greasy hair, greasy pots and pans) to executive chef (less hair, fewer pots and pans) and jumped ship when I was about 40.  These days I try not to eat too much...

@reini has inspired me to compile, albeit rudimentarily, a BBQ cookbook.  So...anything is fair game--wet rub, dry rub, North Carolina vs. South Carolina Vs. Georgia...tandoori...Thai...Korean...even Greek! 

I know @Corsairfoxfouruncle must have a good recipe or two from Illinois...

• Like 1

@John Masters That is cool! :D 

Like I mentioned, I'm not too good with recipes. But I can still share you my rough guidelines how I like to do my burger patties and ribs:

Burger Patty:

-Greasy beef, minced. Greasier the better, minimum 15%, preferably 20%+

-Lightly shape the beef to your desired shape and size, dont' work it too hard just enough that it doesn't fall apart

-Add your favourite spice mix all around the patty

-Press down on the center of the patty with your thumb - it helps the patty to keep it's shape during the cooking

-Hot grill, direct heat, flip once!

-Once they are close to done, move them away from the direct heat and apply your favourite BBQ sauce and let it get sticky

-Finally add a slice of cheddar and let it melt a bit on the patty

-Add rest of the burger and enjoy

Ribs:

-Add a layer of american mustard to the ribs and lightly tap spice mix all around the ribs

-Grill should be around 120-130, set it up so that you can get constant heat for atleast 3-4 hours, briquettes are good for this

-Let them cook for two hours, indirect heat. Add smoke for some extra flavour. Moisten them and flip them few times (every 30-45 minutes or so). Do not open the grill cover unless needed.

-After two hours, put the ribs inside foil and add apple juice, continue grilling for an hour or so.

-Take the ribs out of the foil and apply your favourite BBQ sauce all over the ribs and let them sit at indirect heat for about 20 minutes or until sticky

-Done!

And as it's always when the talk goes to BBQ, I have to use my summon @Marlin spell - maybe he has few tricks up his sleeve :D 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, John Masters said:

What many of you don't know is that for about 25 years I was in the food business...worked my way from lowly teenage dishwasher (greasy hair, greasy pots and pans) to executive chef (less hair, fewer pots and pans) and jumped ship when I was about 40.  These days I try not to eat too much...

@reini has inspired me to compile, albeit rudimentarily, a BBQ cookbook.  So...anything is fair game--wet rub, dry rub, North Carolina vs. South Carolina Vs. Georgia...tandoori...Thai...Korean...even Greek! 

I know @Corsairfoxfouruncle must have a good recipe or two from Illinois...

I personally don't have anything special, though I can get one for you. My Uncles BBQ Pulled pork, we served it at my wedding and it was one of the favorites. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi. @reini You called. :D 

The only thing I would add to your burger receipe is a splash of Lea & Perrins Worcestershire sauce.
Worcestershire-Sauce.jpg
And when I used Waguy beef in January I only used salt and pepper as seasoning.
Waguy beef is so tasty it doesn't need any more than this.
Also I prefer a slice of Pepper Jack cheese on a burger before cheddar.

Ribs I've not done so much since I'm the only one in the famliy that likes it. 
But I'll try yours when I get the opportunity.

/Bosse

• Like 2

I may be joining in soon with my remaining Heller kit and using a vacform canopy to make a IV in RCAF colours courtesy Leading Edge Decals.   As a matter of interest, is anyone doing a 1/48th one and wants to do one with early rudder.. then drop me a line as I maybe able to help

• Like 3

Does anyone know the exact shade of yellow used on Luftwaffe T-6s? I'm itching to do one of these (Revell re-box of the ex-Heller kit, via Lodela), but it seems every kit with this subject option has a different idea of what the colour should be.

Hey this is great. I'm a Wirraway tragic, so count me in on this one. By the way, anyone thinking of building a Wirraway for this group build, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do not paint the interior green. All Wirraways left the factory with silver painted interiors. Ignore your kit instructions, just paint all the framework and seats silver.

Cheers,

Derek

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Derek_B said:

Hey this is great. I'm a Wirraway tragic, so count me in on this one. By the way, anyone thinking of building a Wirraway for this group build, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do not paint the interior green. All Wirraways left the factory with silver painted interiors. Ignore your kit instructions, just paint all the framework and seats silver.

Cheers,

Derek

Welcome Derek and that's a useful tip on the Wirraway interior, thanks for that.

• Thanks 1

I must apologise to you all but especially to my two co-hosts @John Masters @RidgeRunner   for being a bit absent, it's been a combination of things, busy with other real life stuff and being in a bit of a modelling fug but I think I'm out of that and will be back to the bench this evening.

Congratulations to all of you who've already completed your models and good luck to those who've got WIP.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wez said:

I must apologise to you all but especially to my two co-hosts @John Masters @RidgeRunner   for being a bit absent, it's been a combination of things, busy with other real life stuff and being in a bit of a modelling fug but I think I'm out of that and will be back to the bench this evening.

Congratulations to all of you who've already completed your models and good luck to those who've got WIP.

No problem, Wez. Life happens and you can’t control it :)

Martin

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

For info the Special Hobby Harvard is now in stock at Hannants. Hopefully mine will arrive soon and I can get to grips with this group build.