Harvard/Texan, predecessors/derivatives STGB chat

Wez

1 minute ago, RidgeRunner said:

Do you mean Norman Lees’ machine? It was part of the Harvard team and painted as a Zero. Norman was my friend and I flew with him a few times. A fine chap and sorely missed :(

I was referring to Gary's Havard G-AZSC when it was painted in Japanese markings, hence the "Zero" in quotation marks. I well remember the Zero replica that Norman flew too. Saw it several times at North Weald if I remember rightly when the Havard Display Team were doing their thing. It seemed to just disappear though, so I assume it got sold on.

Still a great, great shame about Norman. Had some dealings with him at Earls Colne in the 90s when I helped out on the few resident warbirds that were based there. Norman is still responsible for my all time favourite aviation memory. He decided to beat up my bosses back garden one Sunday morning at around 8:30am. His "garden" contained what was the fuel store for the old airfield and we occupied a few Nissen huts there and it's also where I kept my couple of WW2 trucks. I also used to regularly stay in the Nissen hut at weekends. So this particular summer Sunday morning I had just got up, stepped outside into the sunshine with coffee in hand when I heard the growing sound of an approaching Merlin at full gallop. Next thing I see was Spencer Flack's P-51D "Sunny VII" roar by at about 100ft and pull up into a gentle turn and she was gone. Boss man comes running across the paddock to our huts where he finds me dancing around in glee like a lunatic. It was a real "Empire of the Sun" moment. We didn't know who it was at the time, but let's just say that later on when questioned, Norman neither confirmed or denied it. Best wake up call I've ever had!

Steve

• Like 1

9 hours ago, fightersweep said:

I was referring to Gary's Havard G-AZSC when it was painted in Japanese markings, hence the "Zero" in quotation marks. I well remember the Zero replica that Norman flew too. Saw it several times at North Weald if I remember rightly when the Havard Display Team were doing their thing. It seemed to just disappear though, so I assume it got sold on.

Hi Steve!

G-BDAM is still around. It is often seen at Duxford, among other places. Here are some recent sightings. https://abpic.co.uk/pictures/registration/G-BDAM. I first met Norman when he was flying for Dan-Air, just out of the Navy. I wrote his rosters and so, like most rosterers, I got friendly with him. It was then that he ferried a Sea Fury from Canada and decided to beat up Gatwick on the way home. :). He first took me up in 'AM in 1992 from North Weald. She was still in the "Japanese" colours that she took on for a TV programme (I think). We flew around Essex, did some aeros and some formation work with David Gilmour's Stearman. He had just returned from Africa from wherer he had ferried back a L39 Albatros with his wife in the back seat ;). It was a North Weald that day. After that, with the demise of Dan' he flew traffic spotting sorties from Fairoaks and Blackbushe. Again, I went up in the P68 and Twin Squirrel with the radio crews on board too. Evventually he joined Virgin. He was a good friend and a respected aviator, as you know. You have a great memory there which, like mine, I'm sure you treasure. 

Martin

• Like 1

For my birthday I received a set of Lifecolor RAAF paints that have the maritime colours as well as Foliage Green etc. One of the schemes in the SH  Wirraway kit is for a machine apparently finished in maritime colours as it was used for coastal patrol, very tempting. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, diases said:

Hoping to take part, Brazilian Texan..

Paul

Good choice Paul, plenty of colourful options with Brazilian schemes, welcome along!

Room for more, any Texan forbearer or progeny welcome.

Hoping to take part seems apt ATM.

Ordered a KH Texan last night from wonderland models, then got mail at lunch stating no stock.

So hoping that one arrives before the start date.

But on happier Note, hannants order  of decals and PE flaps/Cockpit arrives tomorrow  

Paul

On 24/02/2021 at 19:00, diases said:

Hoping to take part seems apt ATM.

Ordered a KH Texan last night from wonderland models, then got mail at lunch stating no stock.

So hoping that one arrives before the start date.

But on happier Note, hannants order  of decals and PE flaps/Cockpit arrives tomorrow  

Paul

Paul,

A big scale Texan would be great to see, finger's crossed that you can get one.

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/29/2020 at 9:08 AM, Wez said:

Thanks for your interest!

Unfortunately, nobody does a Harvard IIB in 1/48th scale, in fact AFAIK, the only kit of a Harvard IIB is the very old Airfix kit in 1/72nd.

The best kit in 1/48th is the Occidental kit which was also released by Italeri and Modelcraft and is a T-6G which can be built as a Harvard IIA or IV as all of these versions feature the short canopy.  You need a long canopy for a IIB.

Not quite right there. The current 1/48 Italeri kit (ex Occidental) is boxed as a Harvard IIa however, the contents include a Harvard style canopy and long exhaust. It is in fact a MkIIb/At-16. 

One of the original Occidental offerings in the kit was KF183 a Boscombe Down MkIIb

The Monogram/Revell 1/48 would give you a Harvard:

MKII, MkIIa, MkIII which are Texan style canopies, short exhaust, gear doors, optional nose gun.

Hth

7 minutes ago, 85sqn said:

Not quite right there. The current 1/48 Italeri kit (ex Occidental) is boxed as a Harvard IIa however, the contents include a Harvard style canopy and long exhaust. It is in fact a MkIIb/At-16. 

One of the original Occidental offerings in the kit was KF183 a Boscombe Down MkIIb

The Monogram/Revell 1/48 would give you a Harvard:

MKII, MkIIa, MkIII which are Texan style canopies, short exhaust, gear doors, optional nose gun.

Hth

My Occidental kit is very much a T-6G, I didn't know Occidental had done a Harvard, you live and learn.

• 2 weeks later...

Just got this in the mail today. w0UlMNB.jpg

Im thinking of doing a Spanish T-6. It would be a shame not to considering there’s one a mile and a half south of me in those markings. 

Dennis

secondary option is an AT-6G Mosquito from the Korean war. 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 2

On 22/03/2021 at 20:41, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Im thinking of doing a Spanish T-6. It would be a shame not to considering there’s one a mile and a half south of me in those markings. 

Nice choice Dennis!

True confession time folks, this one kind of snuck up on me, it starts a week this coming Saturday, that's Saturday the 3rd of April :frantic:

Time to dig out those kits, references and decals!!

Personally, I think I might do something French...:whistle:

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Wez said:

Nice choice Dennis!

True confession time folks, this one kind of snuck up on me, it starts a week this coming Saturday, that's Saturday the 3rd of April :frantic:

Time to dig out those kits, references and decals!!

Personally, I think I might do something French...:whistle:

Good morning Wez

A T6 in French markings that is very good idea I think that I am going to do the same ..

Cheers

Patrice

• Like 1

On 3/24/2021 at 9:57 PM, Wez said:

this one kind of snuck up on me

Me too. 😀

On 3/22/2021 at 10:41 PM, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Just got this in the mail today

I have the same box Dennis.  I'll choose mine later...The Spanish aircraft looks nice. Can we get a picture of your neighbouring airplane?

I am thunking either S. African or Danish...

Right, the STGB has now been posted in the Current Group Builds section HERE!

Get across there and start posting your build threads, remember, the GB doesn't start until Saturday the 3rd of April.

Good luck everyone!

@Corsairfoxfouruncle

@TEMPESTMK5

@klr

@stevehnz

@Brad

@janneman36

@dnl42

@zebra

@Artie

@CliffB

@Work In Progress

@stevej60

@Foxbat

@Tim R-T-C

@gingerbob

@Max Headroom

@Paul Bradley

@modelling minion

@theplasticsurgeon

@fightersweep

@Paul J

@Pete F

@Rob S

@Mr T

@zegeye

Sadly, since I proposed this GB, the great contributor @Graeme H has passed away, he was going to make a Wirraway, hopefully somebody can pick up the baton in his honour.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

Well I had have taken both the Boomerang and Wirraway out the stash and was wondering which one to start with. 

The sad news has helped me decide on the Wirraway. 

Edited by Mr T
Turning the post into something resembling English.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, John Masters said:

Me too. 😀

I have the same box Dennis.  I'll choose mine later...The Spanish aircraft looks nice. Can we get a picture of your neighbouring airplane?

I have it on my 35mm memory chips but no way to upload them. My last computer went belly up and Ive never replaced it. I use my Cellular for every thing now. Shame as I have almost 2000 photo’s from a dozen museums and airshows. 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle

Can I play please? 😀 I’ve not finished a model in a long while so I’m hoping that getting involved with a group build will shame me into completing something! 🤔😎

I’ve not decided whether it’ll be a 1/48 Italeri Harvard or the 1/32 Kittyhawk kit. I’m also unsure of what livery it’ll be yet too! 

Cheers,

Carl.

18 minutes ago, carlstavros said:

Can I play please? 😀 I’ve not finished a model in a long while so I’m hoping that getting involved with a group build will shame me into completing something! 🤔😎

I’ve not decided whether it’ll be a 1/48 Italeri Harvard or the 1/32 Kittyhawk kit. I’m also unsure of what livery it’ll be yet too! 

Cheers,

Carl.

By all means and whatever you choose will be very welcome.

• Like 1

Not sure I'm going to be able to fit this one in, too much going on (in life as well as other GBs). If the timing was different I'd have jumped straight in with a Wirraway or a Boomerang. If I find myself with a bit more time in a few weeks I'll join in though.

I’ll be there at some point. If I had the decals it’d be Italian but I have a couple of Latin contenders, courtesy of our host ;). That would be Panamanian or Uruguay. 

Martin :)

6 hours ago, John Masters said:

Me too. 😀

Hello John did some digging and I believe this to be the plane. 

http://www.warbirdregistry.org/texanregistry/texan-493305.html

Looks like its moved on to Texas but this is what it looked like. Im still planning on the camouflaged version as I don't feel up to the aluminum finish. Two it looks better to my eyes.