Harvard/Texan, predecessors/derivatives STGB chat

Wez

I know I'm too late to make a difference but I would like to be involved with this as I am planning a No. 6 British Flying Training School (BFTS) Harvard next year so this might fit in nicely.

Edited by Pete F
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Pete F said:

I know I'm too late to make a difference but I would like to be involved with this as I am planning a No. 6 British Flying Training School (BFTS) Harvard next year so this might fit in nicely.

Doesn't matter whether you're late to the party, thanks for signing up!

Anyone else want to join, we have a slot.

1 hour ago, John Masters said:

Just looking at al the variants and operators...the list is all but endless.  I gave away my Wirraway.  I might have to get another.

So the Harvard Mk. II is the Texan T-6G?

Closest to a Harvard IIA and if IIRC Harvard IV

19 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Hello @Wez Im happy to see this one made it through, the type needs its due as it created so many famous pilots. 

Thanks Dennis, I'm glad its got through too, I would have thought it would have been more popular, nonetheless we're through and we have a slot, that's all that matters, time to drum up more support.

19 hours ago, John Masters said:

Me too.  "Ubiquitous"  comes to mind.  

It is ubiquitous, from east to west, north to south, so many nations used it, New Zealand to Canada, the USA to Japan, plenty of choice for markings.

• Like 1

Thanks John!

Mostly the host welcomes people to the GB, encourages them on their builds, arbitrates on eligibility of their build, simple really! :whistle:

A qualification in advanced cat-herding isn't essential...

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, Wez said:

Cap in hand time now, looking for a co-host, a willing volunteer is always better than someone pressed into service.

At the risk of overloading myself I'd be up for it, Wez

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

At the risk of overloading myself I'd be up for it, Wez

An embarrassment of riches for me!  Thanks Martin.

4 hours ago, Rob S said:

If the Ceres kit is out by the time this starts count me in. 

I'll tentatively pencil you in then, we've got the numbers to qualify for the STGB so it makes no odds.

Anyone else want to join in with this STGB, follow the link for a list of eligible sub-types but basically anything from the BT-9 to the CA-23 are eligible in this STGB.

• 1 month later...

I have Harvards as well as the Boomerang and Wirraway kits in the stash and so would like to join as I lost my only completed Harvards build to a bad landing a few years back while cleaning it. 

On 01/11/2020 at 08:33, Mr T said:

I have Harvards as well as the Boomerang and Wirraway kits in the stash and so would like to join as I lost my only completed Harvards build to a bad landing a few years back while cleaning it. 

Firstly, let me apologise for not picking up on this earlier, thanks for signing up, you've got plenty to choose from there.  I've added your name to the list.

Secondly, sorry to hear of your previous Harvard's misfortune, it is sadly one of the hazards of cleaning a model.

Anyone else want to join this STGB?  Plenty of marking options with it.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 22/12/2020 at 11:18, zegeye said:

I'm interrested. Count me please.

Good Man!

You're in!

Anyone else interested?  The STGB includes the Texan/Harvard, its predecessors and its progeny.  If there's a link to the classic Texan/Harvard it's in.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

I don't believe how hard it is to find anything Texan/Harvard related ? The only thing available currently is the Hobby-boss easy build kit. Oh well I will keep looking. 

Good afternoon Dennis

If you are looking for a good T-6 Kit maybe you can order the Encore Models kit there  

https://trainsandtoysoldiers.com/squadron-1-72-encore-models-t-6-texan-harvard-2-kit-combo-ec72105-limited-edition/

In the box You get 2 Academy kits + a very nice decals sheet ..

Best Regards

Patrice

• Thanks 1

On 1/12/2021 at 5:49 PM, Wez said:

Good news for anyone wanting to make an early AT-6 or Harvard IIb/IV, Special Hobby are going to release the Academy kit with parts to make these types.  Huzzah!!

I'm keeping my fingers crossed Special Hobby get this out when they say they do. I've already built the T-6s I need for my 83 Great Warbirds Air Display collection and the missing batch are the Harvard IIs, which I'm saving for this GB. I've got five back ordered at Hannants....they listed it on their site yesterday (14th)

50945599108_9034d373ae_c.jpg

Steve

• Like 2

3 hours ago, fightersweep said:

I'm keeping my fingers crossed Special Hobby get this out when they say they do. I've already built the T-6s I need for my 83 Great Warbirds Air Display collection and the missing batch are the Harvard IIs, which I'm saving for this GB. I've got five back ordered at Hannants....they listed it on their site yesterday (14th)

Agree!

Nice collection thus far Steve and great choices of subject (if it all comes off that is).

1 hour ago, Wez said:

Agree!

Nice collection thus far Steve and great choices of subject (if it all comes off that is).

Thanks Wez. I think I have four Havard IIbs needed for this collection, but I've also got an itch to build Gary Numan's "Zero" as well despite not being in the timeframe. So that will be at least four for the GB. Some of those 80s era Havards had some zany schemes. I've got a lot more to build yet for that collection, but it's been a blast so far and takes me back to being a soggy teenager at a very rainy West Malling in September 83....who was having the time of his life. First warbird show I went to, and it's stuck with me ever since.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, fightersweep said:

Gary Numan's "Zero"

Do you mean Norman Lees’ machine? It was part of the Harvard team and painted as a Zero. Norman was my friend and I flew with him a few times. A fine chap and sorely missed :(

Martin