Harvard/Texan, predecessors/derivatives STGB chat

Wez

Thanks for signing up Cliff, who makes a 1/100th scale kit?

Good to have you along.

Anyone else interested.

9 minutes ago, CliffB said:

Thanks Wez, it's an Ocidental kit.

Oooh!  Super tiddly, same boxart as the original 1/48th kit.

The Gun pods are very similar to those on a French T-6G-2.

Room for more, come and join us, this STGB is not only open to the Texan and Harvard but also the immediate predecessors such as the Yale and their progeny too such as the P-64, Wirraway, Boomerang and even the CA-28 Ceres, if there's a link to the Texan it's in.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

Oh, go on the, Wez :)

It might be French, it might not ;) 

Martin

Thanks Martin,

Whatever you choose I'm sure it will have an interesting back story.

14 hours ago, Wez said:

Room for more, come and join us, this STGB is not only open to the Texan and Harvard but also the immediate predecessors such as the Yale and their progeny too such as the P-64, Wirraway, Boomerang and even the CA-28 Ceres, if there's a link to the Texan it's in.

What he said, room for more, come and join us.

I have a ton of 1/48 Monograms and Hobby Boss and Heller ones. Most are a long way away but I think there has to be a fighting chance I will be able to get to the main stash some time in the next month or so, the way things are going. When is the build likely to scheduled?

What I am minded to do is a Hollywood Zero, probably in 1/48, as it will go nicely with a few other movie-based projects I am doing in the same scale.

Mitsubishi-A6M-Zero-Kamikaze-Inflight2.j

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Work In Progress said:

Most are a long way away but I think there has to be a fighting chance I will be able to get to the main stash some time in the next month or so, the way things are going. When is the build likely to scheduled?

Probably not until next year, we need to get enough participants first (25 so we are now halfway there thanks to you), then we get the next available slot.

Thanks for signing up.

11 minutes ago, Work In Progress said:

What I am minded to do is a Hollywood Zero, probably in 1/48, as it will go nicely with a few other movie-based projects I am doing in the same scale.

That would be very interesting, you can clearly see the Texan wings and tailplane, it's as much a Texan as the Boomerang so I think it would be very welcome indeed.

Anyone else interested?  A clear lineage to the Texan is required for eligibility.

2 hours ago, Wez said:

it's as much a Texan as the Boomerang so I think it would be very welcome indeed.

Fab! Looks are (deliberately) deceiving: it's a lot more Texan than a Boomerang. They were conversions of existing surplus T-6 / Harvard IV stock, 25 done in total for Tora Tora Tora. All the core structure is T-6.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, stevej60 said:

Put me down for this one please I fancy a crack at the Occidental kit in all yellow!

That's great Steve, thanks for signing up.

The Boscombe Down Harvard that used to hold us up at the taxi-way lights was yellow, man that was bright, I'd recommend wearing sunglasses when painting!

Anyone else want to join?  This STGB is not only open to the Texan and Harvard but also the immediate predecessors such as the Yale and their progeny too such as the P-64, Wirraway, Boomerang and even the CA-28 Ceres, if there's a link to the Texan it's in.

Thanks for signing up Graeme, would love to see a Wirraway or two.

On 29/05/2020 at 08:49, Wez said:

Anyone else want to join?  This STGB is not only open to the Texan and Harvard but also the immediate predecessors such as the Yale and their progeny too such as the P-64, Wirraway, Boomerang and even the CA-28 Ceres, if there's a link to the Texan it's in.

What the man said!  Anyone else interested?  It also includes the BT-9/NJ-1.

Edited by Wez

Thanks for signing up Andy.

19 minutes ago, Foxbat said:

Just been to check on decal availability and there's some wonderfully odd schemes out there so I'm in.

It's also one of the reasons I proposed it, these aircraft have been used all over the world, such a wide variety of schemes, pretty much something for most people.  THere's also a good range of kits in most scales out there.

Anyone else want to join?  This STGB is not only open to the Texan and Harvard but also the immediate predecessors such as the BT-9 and Yale and their progeny too such as the P-64, Wirraway, Boomerang and even the CA-28 Ceres, if there's a link to the Texan it's in.  There's plenty of choice here.

I've got three Valom models in the stash, got one planned for the Japanese Zero painted example used in 'Operation Petticoat', one as a Syrian AF gate guard and the other TBD. So should have at least one left when this GB comes around 😁

Edited by Tim R-T-C
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for signing up Tim, TBH, I didn't know Valom had tackled the subject, just goes to show, every day is a school day (or at least it should be)!

Just checked on the Valom kit, it's in wee scale which is why I didn't know about it.

Your subject choices for two out of the three kits fully illustrate the breadth of the subject.

This STGB is not only open to the Texan and Harvard but also the immediate predecessors such as the BT-9 and Yale, as well as the Texan/Harvard's progeny too such as the P-64, Wirraway, Boomerang and even the CA-28 Ceres, if there's a link to the Texan it's in.

Anyone else want to join?

Weekend push for this one.

This STGB is not only open to the Texan and Harvard but also the immediate predecessors such as the BT-9 and Yale, as well as the Texan/Harvard's progeny too such as the P-64, Wirraway, Boomerang and even the CA-28 Ceres, if there's a link to the Texan it's in.

There's a wide range of colour schemes and operators so there's plenty of variety.

Another weekend push for this one.

Do you fancy making a Texan or a Harvard?  What about a CAC Boomerang or Wirraway, all this and more are eligible for this GB, from BT-9 to CA-28 Ceres, if there's a link to the Texan, it's in!

1 hour ago, gingerbob said:

Add me to the "honor roll".

Added sir!  Thanks very much for signing up.

Anyone else want to join?

4 hours ago, Max Headroom said:

Added to the list thanks for signing up and that's a good find.

Anyone else interested?

13 hours ago, Paul Bradley said:

Sure, stick me on the list. I've a Special Hobby Boomerang that needs to be built.  😁

Thanks for signing up Paul, a Boomerang would be most welcome!

Anyone else want to sign up for this one, as you can see, it's not purely limited to the Texan/Harvard, but its predecessors and progeny too.

Weekend push for this one, it's not just open to the Texan or a Harvard, it includes anything with a link to these aircraft so includes the CAC Boomerang or Wirraway, anything from the BT-9 to CA-28 Ceres, if there's a link to the Texan, it's in!