Harvard/Texan, predecessors/derivatives STGB chat

Wez

I recently received the two volumes by Alain Crosnier on the Armée de l'Air in North Africa 1940-1967 (L'Armée de l'Air en Afrique du Nord), which has a large section on Teaxans and Harvards, especially the Texans toting lots of rockets, bombs an machine guns, it struck me, that to my knowledge, we haven't had a STGB dedicated to the NAA type.

So I'd like to propose a STGB dedicated to the Texan and its predecessors/derivatives such as the Harvard, Yale, Wirraway, the P-64 and yes Aussies, the Boomerang (as the wings were largely based upon the Wirraway which itself was based upon the Texan/Harvard), and even the CA-28 Ceres if you were so inclined.

Is anyone else up for this?  It's a versatile aircraft with a huge amount of colour schemes, from Canada in the North to New Zealand in the south, from Japan in the east to the USA going west, it's found service in every continent bar Antarctica (and even there I could be wrong), lots of scope there.

1.  Wez (Host)

2.  CorsairFourFoxUncle

3.  TEMPESTMK5

4.  klr

5.  stevehnz

6.  Brad

7.  janneman36

8.  dnl42

9.  zebra

10. Artie

11. Cliff.B

12. RidgeRunner (Co-Host)

13. Work In Progress

14. SteveJ60

15. Graeme H

16. Foxbat

17. Tim R-T-C

18. gingerbob

19. Max Headroom

20. Paul Bradley

21. modelling minion

22. theplasticsurgeon

23. fightersweep

24. Paul J

25. John Masters (Co-Host)

26. Pete F

27. Rob S

28. Mr.T

29. zegeye

30. diases

31...   ???

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Hmmm Ive always fancied building a Boomerang/wirraway ? 🧐 Go ahead and chalk me in for something. 

Thanks Dennis, list started.

• Like 1

What!  No love out there for the Harvard, Texan, Wirraway or Boomerang? 

I can understand the P-64 and even to some extent the Yale but surely the Texan/Harvard are popular - or is it just me and Dennis?

Give them time.  Personally, there is lots of love for the entire NA16 family in its bewildering variety and incredibly widespread use, with ten versions built so far and as many waiting.  But none for group builds. Making models for show to someone else's timescale does not appeal.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TEMPESTMK5 said:

Good morning Wez

That is a very good idea I have a few Academy T6 Kits in my stash so please add my name to the list ..

All the best

Patrice

Glad to have you along Patrice, I hoped I could rely on you.

4 hours ago, Graham Boak said:

Give them time.  Personally, there is lots of love for the entire NA16 family in its bewildering variety and incredibly widespread use, with ten versions built so far and as many waiting.  But none for group builds. Making models for show to someone else's timescale does not appeal.

And that Graham is of course, your prerogative, I just see this as a way of showcasing the great variation in the type and the endless possibilities of colour schemes available.

1 hour ago, klr said:

I have a slew of T-6s in the stash, both Heller (in Airfix and Revell boxes), and Academy. So I'm in.

Thank you Sir!

12 minutes ago, stevehnz said:

yes, it'll be far enough away that by the time it arrives I'll likely have forgot about it, nevertheless, I've got plenty of subjects to choose from.  :) 

Steve. 

Don't worry Steve, I'll give you a nudge at the time, thanks for signing up.

Any more for this, there's so much variation in this STGB, the type was used all over the world, there are so many colourful schemes out there.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

43 minutes ago, Brad said:

I'd build the Special Hobby Wirraway. You also missed the CA-28 Ceres.

You're on the list, thanks for joining.

I had to look the CA-28 Ceres, I didn't know that one, now I can't forget it even though it offends my eyes!

So yes, if you're the kind of tortured mind that wants to build a CA-28 Ceres, you'd be welcome too.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, janneman36 said:

Hi Wez, would also like too enter with a CA28 Ceres but i want to make the torture bigger by building it in 1/32😏

cheers, Jan

I'll hold you to that...

...you're on the list, thanks for signing up.

8 hours ago, janneman36 said:

Hi Wez, would also like too enter with a CA28 Ceres but i want to make the torture bigger by building it in 1/32😏

cheers, Jan

Derek, the author of the book on the Ceres is gathering parts to do the same thing.

4 hours ago, dnl42 said:

I have 4 of the Monogram 1/48 kits in the stash. I'm game!

4 hours ago, zebra said:

Count me in. I have a Wirraway and a Boomerang in the stash but could also really do with a Harvard or Yale.

Thank you both for signing up, your names are on the list.

Anybody else up for this one?

Friday night podge for this one, any scale any user, if it's a predecessor to or a development of the North American Aviation Texan, it's eligible for this GB.

Think of all of those colour schemes, all the users from A-Z, from eat to west and north to south, lots and lots of options with this one.

So if you fancy making an RAF Harvard or a USN SNJ or a multitude of operators Texans, then this is the GB for you.

If you've seen one at an airshow, flown in one or had to sit for bloody ages at the runway crossing lights at Boscombe Down whilst a bright yellow Harvard does circuits and bumps, then as I've said before, this the GB for you!

Come and join us with your Texan, Harvard, Wirraway, Boomerang, Yale and Ceres.

• Like 1

Sunday evening push for this one.

It's open to the immediate predecessors or developments of the Texan/Harvard, from Yale to Boomerang or even the really ugly Ceres.

• 3 weeks later...

Time to give this one a bump!

This STGB is not only open to the Texan and Harvard but also the immediate predecessors such as the Yale and their progeny too such as the P-64, Wirraway, Boomerang and even the CA-28 Ceres.

There were many users all over the globe for these aircraft so colour schemes abound.

Anyone else interested in this one?

On 4/23/2020 at 10:23 AM, Wez said:

You're on the list, thanks for joining.

I had to look the CA-28 Ceres, I didn't know that one, now I can't forget it even though it offends my eyes!

So yes, if you're the kind of tortured mind that wants to build a CA-28 Ceres, you'd be welcome too.

Just saw this in Rumormonger  

a good addition to the build if anyone was to go for the option. 

Dennis

• Like 1

Dennis,

I've decided to like your post because of your enthusiasm for the STGB, I wavered over the sad face option because whilst it's clearly based upon the Wirraway (which was based on the Texan), it's a Wirraway that's fallen from the ugly tree and hit every branch on the way down!

Still, it would be an interesting addition to the STGB.

Plenty of room for more to join the STGB.

Edited by Wez
  • Thanks 1

Yes please Wes.  I have a 1/100 scale kit with Portuguese markings, but I do also fancy doing a Yugoslav one.

Cheers

Cliff

• Thanks 1