Academy F-8P Crusader

This is the delightful Academy F-8 Crusader from the “French Navy Special” boxing.  I used the Wolfpack Design wing fold set, plus a few pieces from an old Airwaves F-8E details in the cockpit (mainly the canopy frame).  The blue-grey of Aeronavale Crusaders is an elusive shade and, having experimented with a wide variety of colours, I settled on a combination of a base colour of Gunze H42 gloss blue grey, panel highlights in Tamiya XF-19 Sky Grey, and then a light top coat of Humbrol 230 with a wash of Paynes Grey.  Decals are from the box.

resized_18cffe5b-a19b-4bd4-a816-ef7d18d1

resized_bf20de03-ee0c-4bc7-8b5a-123ff523

resized_23ea17be-3c60-40be-aa1d-f36672ee

resized_a5fea1e9-2378-49eb-b0fd-f6382bac

resized_ec8bdb6f-772f-440a-8752-4626f79e

resized_426a378c-57d9-452b-9854-2c7e67d0

resized_d0022a54-e27e-4c0a-b8d2-329015ef

resized_591e3659-26f9-4bb6-990b-578f8175

• Like 40

Good work, nicely done :)

As you've seen I'm doing the same scheme from the same kit, any issues with the decals? I recall having issues with the USN and USMC boxings in the past but yours seem to have gone done very nicely on this one.

• Like 1

The Crusader was an awesome aircraft and a great choice for the Aeronavale. Nice job on your "Cruze".

• Like 1

Thanks all for your kind comments!  The Academy F-8 is a great kit ... and I've got another in my stash awaiting USMC markings and a hefty air-to-ground load.

On 4/22/2020 at 7:29 PM, Seamus said:

As you've seen I'm doing the same scheme from the same kit, any issues with the decals? I recall having issues with the USN and USMC boxings in the past but yours seem to have gone done very nicely on this one.

Thanks @Seamus. The decals in the "French Navy" boxing are by Cartograf and went on no problem at all, bedding down nicely.

22 hours ago, trickydicky210 said:

Nice Crusader, good colour scheme 

the different missile colours is unusual 

Yes @trickydicky210, the mismatched colours of the missiles are unusual.  I found an article on "Le dernier vol du Crusader" in a copy of Jets magazine from March 2000, with a photo of this aircraft at the commemorative event carrying drill/inert Magics - one orange, one blue.  Plus I think it looks cool 🙂

• Like 1

Very nice Crusader! Clean build and the blue/grey looks spot-on to me.

I remember the beginning of the nineties at Brustem (B) when I saw two of them flying as a kind of synchro-pair.. a fantastic experience! I have 2 Crusaders in 1/48 scale in my stash and looking at your build I want to start building them even more.. there's just so much that has to be finished first.. 

F-8E(FN) 29 & 37, 12F, Brustem/Sint Truiden, September 17th 1994

• Like 2

I like French Crusaders a lot! A very different look for a bird that I think only wore white-light gull grey camo in the US Navy so is always the same with different rudder decorations only. 

And a very nice job done of it! Congratulations!

Dennis

• Like 1