1/48 Fairey Albacore

Here is a little diversion while my milliput hardens on the "Biggun". I wanted to try my hand at a little something more "Normal" I know me and Normal go together like cheese and chalk. BUt I AM going to try my bestus to make this as OOB as possible. NO guarantees though.

OK. Today for your amusement is Special Hobby's 1/48 Fairey Albacore. Special Hobby kits aren't that bad once you understand their "quirks" I've built a few in the past. Where I'm REALLY out of my comfort zone is this being a biplane and will require rigging. The last time I tried that was with Tamiyas 1/48 Fairey Swordfish and that wasn't pretty. One of these days I'm going to have to strip it all back down and see if I can redo it proper, but that is for another day and another build. I hope you will all follow along and please do offer advice. This being a stringbag AND British I want to make sure I do it and it's Service Justice. I have decided to build it as a Mk1 from 828 Squadron Hal Far, Malta 1942

49806261386_dd3299e654_c.jpg

49805709793_f49ae272c3_c.jpg

49805709778_9babb14f36_c.jpg

• Like 11

Altogether it's not a bad little kit. I do know that I will have to either print out a torpedo for it or bombs since the kit didn't come with either of those. For the guide wires and antenna wires I'll try some EZ Line I got for the Biggun's antenna wires. It's stretchable and might be easier to work with.

Glad you are going with the Special Hobby kit rather than the Trumpeter offering. Very interested to see what you make of this. Following!

Martian 👽

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thank you Martin. I'm not much of a fan of Trumpeters. They might be good if its Soviet Bloc but they miss the target on anything else more often than not. Welcome aboard and make yourself to home. You know where everything is. Chime in if you see I'm missing anything important.

I'll be interested to see this develop from a bunch of styrene into a glorious biplane. Good choice! 

I was looking at this in the local shop fairly recently and fancying my chances with it, but I stuck with my civil tendency and got a Vickers Northrop Delta by Special Hobby instead. No rigging wires. 

Rigging is something else, isn't it

My only vacform kit is an Albacore and to be honest I can't see it being built ‼️

MPM Special Hobby.... I like 'em 👍

6 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Ooooooooo this is a real treat, got one in the stash and can't wait to see this progress.   

Good luck with your build

All the best

Chris

+1 as well

Coming along for the ride too :P

Pappy

• Like 1

Count me in- not my scale, but want to see an Albacore built so I can use the WIP as a reference when and if Special Hobby ever release the 1/72 kit they have announced eons ago!

Mike

This is not a bad kit at all - and quite good for those who are a bit nervous about biplanes because the top wing can be securely fitted to the top of the canopy and then the struts (only three per side) and rigging (which isn't too complicated either) can be fettled afterwards.

If I remember rightly (and Tony O'Toole deserves the credit for pointing this out in a magazine article) all the interior parts are slightly too wide. As ever with Special Hobby kits, dry fitting is essential, and I think you will find that all the floors, bulkheads, etc will need to be sanded down to help close the fuselage. If you get the width of these right, then the fuselage goes together nicely and the glazing then fits properly too...

Also, the innermost inter-plane strut on each side is a little short and so needs to be extended...

I haven't built the Trumpeter version, but from what I've seen on here (credit to Tony again - did he ever finish that kit?!), it just isn't right in several areas that are all but impossible to fix - so the extra work needed on the Special Hobby kit will be worth it!

Good luck.

Cheers,

Nick.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

Has he started yet? :poke:

Impatient of Mars 👽

Goodness Martian! I've never seen you this eager before. Martians are usually so composed they make Vulcans look like rowdy sailors on their first shore leave in 9 months and its in

Marseille! So to soothe your Martian self here's an update.

• Haha 1

Moving right along with the interior. I was really tempted to put my own framing in to give the walls some depth, but decided instead to paint and shade with a dark wash, pencil highlight and dry brush some aluminum for wear and tear. I did take some thread and make some cabling. Before I button up the sides I'll decide if I 'll make some additional supports. the kit supplies a couple of small ones.

49811439587_db754bab2b_c.jpg

49811140201_597c597478_c.jpg

I used some making tape to hold the window glass flush while the watch crystal glue sets. The stuff dries clear but takes forever to set.

• Like 4

The pilot's seat is supposed to be leather, so I used Burnt Umber Acrylic used a dark wash to show some depth the  touched up with desert yellow for aging. The leather boot on the joystick was a little piece of TP soaked in KLeer and wrapped around the base . when it dried I used Burnt Sienna acrylic to give it a lighter worn leather look. the cockpit floor a dark wah and dry brushed Aluminum for wear and tear again. The side panels basic black dry brushed again with Aluminum and touches of red for colour.Few more bits of "cabling" AKA Thread.

49811439582_ded93ec19e_c.jpg

49811439637_c9ea058cf9_c.jpg

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Nickthebrief said:

This is not a bad kit at all - and quite good for those who are a bit nervous about biplanes because the top wing can be securely fitted to the top of the canopy and then the struts (only three per side) and rigging (which isn't too complicated either) can be fettled afterwards.

If I remember rightly (and Tony O'Toole deserves the credit for pointing this out in a magazine article) all the interior parts are slightly too wide. As ever with Special Hobby kits, dry fitting is essential, and I think you will find that all the floors, bulkheads, etc will need to be sanded down to help close the fuselage. If you get the width of these right, then the fuselage goes together nicely and the glazing then fits properly too...

Also, the innermost inter-plane strut on each side is a little short and so needs to be extended...

I haven't built the Trumpeter version, but from what I've seen on here (credit to Tony again - did he ever finish that kit?!), it just isn't right in several areas that are all but impossible to fix - so the extra work needed on the Special Hobby kit will be worth it!

Good luck.

Cheers,

Nick.

Thanks for the heads up on the Interior trimming NIck. you have to shave 1-1 1/2mm to make them fit properly.

• Like 1

Getting back to the back end, I had painted the fuel tank the was going to mask off for the straps, but paint peeled where I didn't want it to so I repainted and used the masking tape to make the straps. worked a lot better all the way around49810591373_a90bbd78e0_c.jpg

I used the same technique on the smaller seats as I did with the pilots seat. the harness' I painted with Tamiya khaki. the deck I weathered the same. but since there is more movement wore down the interior green more.

49811140246_9548c93680_c.jpg

• Like 2

The instrument cluster came as a 5 part assembly, plastic back, 2 pieces of film, the P/E front, and the compass/direction finder.Pretty straightforward. the P/E I painted rubber black and drybrushed aluminum. the compass after painting I put a drop on Kleer on top 

for the glass.

49810591353_31af9c732b_c.jpg

49810591278_80b21c94a7_c.jpg

MYself while all this is setting, is going to find some better allergy medication. I have spent more time sneezing and searching for parts that have "gone with the wind" than I care to handle. Further updates to be had soon.

• Like 7

Managed to get some progress in today despite the ever whimsical caprices that are the the modelling Gods. Note to any who attempt this kit, the adage ," measure twice cut once" addendum- measure again, and again, and again..the interior pieces are wider than the fuselage by a fair bit, some places as much as 1 1/2 mm. That makes for some awkwardness in making sure the parts look right once installed. I did deviate from the journey,Surprise , Surprise, Knew it wouldn't last,  adding vertical bracing on the interior. So much for a little cruise😏

49814555293_75713dfa70_c.jpg

49815403727_f9c998ca0a_c.jpg

49814555233_fbe9119307_c.jpg

There was one part at the rear of the interior you had the option of P/E or plastic. I wanted to used the P/E ,but it was so far out of spec though perfect, I had to use the plastic piece as it needed a lot to trimming to fit. The little rounded square piece with the holes there next to fuselage half is the culprit in question.

Planing the halves(no pun intended) to get as tight a fit as possible,will still probably need some filler and a rescribing 

49815093746_4f58634751_c.jpg

I'll let the Plastic weld set overnight and look at it in the morning. So there you have it, one more step closer.

• Like 11

Thank you Martian, But these are just the preliminary rounds. I for got to add that since special hobby doesn't like locator holes(We don't need no stinkin' locators) I cut some bits of plastic card to at least keep the halves somewhat stable whilst drying.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Great work, that fuel tank is enormous, I don't think that I would have liked sitting by it with bullets whizzing around.

Cheers

Dennis

• Thanks 1

Motoring happily along, The main seam did need a little filler not much but as usual in the one place hard to sand down.NOt sure what the little "braces/brackets" are for but they looked important. especially since I managed to sand them to near nothingness..49817960568_18ba22a943_c.jpg

49817960593_c72259eae8_c.jpg

A little bit of reconstruction with some flat rod. The first of many alterations I fear.

• Like 6