2020 Blitzbuild Pt 1 Chat

Well this is a right pain.... Just as I was looking for a little Vulcan they seem to have all but disappeared at normal prices..... 

So now I'm thinking I'll try and find another Avro triangle, the 1/3 scale development aircraft for the Vulcan, the Avro 707. There's a vacuform kit around by Whirlybird Models which isn't too expensive that I could try, and likely make a lot of mistakes with. I've never built a vacuform and that could be a fun start. A friend of mine who's built the kit informs me that it took him three about 4 hour sittings to complete so.... I guess I could do it?

Falling that I might go for another iconic British aircraft with the Hawker Hunter by Mark1 Models in 1/144.

• Like 1

Adam,

Please go for the Mark1 1/144 Hunter.

If you were to finish a vacform in a blitzbuild, I'm not sure I could go on!

Alan

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Hi All,

After far too long procrastinating I've decided to attempt the impossible and that's to build an Eduard "Weekend Edition" in a weekend.

I've picked this one.

49862980801_bde93a7d5e_o.jpg

I've just placed the order online so hopefully it arrive safely soon.

Dave.

• Like 7

3 hours ago, Dave_R said:

I've decided to attempt the impossible and that's to build an Eduard "Weekend Edition" in a weekend

I suppose if it doesn't work out you can ask Mr Eduard for your money back. 😉

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Dave_R said:

After far too long procrastinating I've decided to attempt the impossible and that's to build an Eduard "Weekend Edition" in a weekend.

Actually, it's not impossible.  I've done one before in a Blitzbuild.  Although, in the interests of full disclosure, it was a 1/72 Hellcat.   :D

However, I know the kit you are proposing.  It goes together very well indeed, so a blitzbuild is perfectly feasible.   :thumbsup: 

I was wondering if it wasn't too late to join in with this build, not sure what it would be though it could be a bit weird if that's OK. 

I think 8yrs is a long enough gap between projects! 

• Like 1

Thanks for the nudge @JOCKNEY.  I'll have to go paw through the stash to see what I might find back there that won't drive me mental to build in a hurry.  I know there is an eggplane hiding back there.  Or maybe the 1/144th EC-135.  Probably have some not very detailed 1/72 aircraft that I could find....

I really don't need more started and not completed projects...they are starting to multiply like rabbits.  :frantic:

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, grufsnik said:

I was wondering if it wasn't too late to join in with this build, not sure what it would be though it could be a bit weird if that's OK. 

I think 8yrs is a long enough gap between projects! 

The Blitzbuild hasn't started yet so it's definitely not too late.

Weird is good!  :thumbsup:

Whiffers allowed?

I did find a 1/72 YF-23, but the decals are toast.  Was thinking if whifs were allowed I'd see about robbing some F-15 decals out of another kit for it.

@helios16v

Well done Sir, 

Now wheres the rest of you ?

Oy, lets be 'aving you !

And get that shirt tucked in, just because you're under house arrest theres no need to let standards go to pot :fight:

cheers Pat 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Right so another change on plan for me.... Really I am just awful at sticking with what I plan to do...

I decided a first vacuform was probably not a good idea to do in a blitzbuild. Still plan to build an Avro 707 at some point though... perhaps if my V Force GB goes ahead next year it'll be one of my builds there, we'll have to wait and see if it gets through the Bunfight.

On 05/05/2020 at 20:15, Angus Tura said:

Adam,

Please go for the Mark1 1/144 Hunter.

If you were to finish a vacform in a blitzbuild, I'm not sure I could go on!

Alan

Anyway, I decided to do the Hunter. I've got the kit and well, there's two in the box. Might as well do both

• Like 3

On 4/23/2020 at 7:47 AM, Adrian Hills said:

I think I’ll go for the ‘other option’. Having done a 12 hour build before, I know that by the end I was so full of pizza that I couldn’t get my wings straight! Having a second 12 hours will certainly help!

Have been thinking of my subject from kits from my stash.

Matchbox Seafox or Walrus. Both good kits and build well. But couldn’t do rigging in that time as I find it stressful.

Or

Old kits, Frog 1/79 scale Blenheim mk1 or Kader 1/152 Sunderland !

Choices, choices

I have made a decision to go for the Matchbox Walrus and have the candidate kit and curiously inaccurate decals from Hannants. As we have 24 hours rather than a mere twelve I am thinking stringing PLUS!!  Its a basic kit, built it before and enjoyed it.

Big question, as I will be doing a shadow scheme what I’d like to know is the shades of the fuselage between the wings. When I did it before I used the lighter shades on that section. A Google search and what previous modellers have done has proved inconclusive.

And what colour is the standard fighter liferaft ? 😉

• Like 3

Just a suggestion, but would it be ok to split the 24 hours into three sections ? ie on Sat, Sun AND Monday. Basically each modeller would log their build time to a total of 24 hours. This arrangement might fit in better with the people we live with 😊😊

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Adrian Hills said:

Just a suggestion, but would it be ok to split the 24 hours into three sections ?

A good suggestion!

I think that was what we did for the Xmas Blitzbuild, the 'Dad's Army Option'?

It would certainly suit me better as we have a full house with 2 grandchildren staying during the crisis and getting away for long periods on two consecutive days is going to be difficult...

Maybe the organisers could consider this please ? 😊

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Adrian Hills said:

Just a suggestion, but would it be ok to split the 24 hours into three sections ?

The forum is now open for business!   As you can see from The Rules, we have included a third option:  The Lockdown Option. 

• Like 1

Time to go dig the (Y)F-23 out and verify all the parts are accounted for after work, and paw through some decals for a suitable set of active duty markings.

Going to shoot for the Superhero option again this time...though may revise on the fly.  It's all going to depend on if I can get the decals on early enough to allow them to dry thoroughly prior to application of the dullcoat.  I should probably put together a plan so I stay on track.  Sounds like a perfect opportunity for another spreadsheet.  ^_^

6 minutes ago, JOCKNEY said:

I've just noticed the Gallery for this one has had 6 views already, i wonder what they were expecting to see ? :giggle:

Good luck everyone !

1 was me, I accidentally clicked on it when I meant to click on the chat thread.  :doh:

• Haha 1